I Got Fired Because.....

Clyde

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For taking off work too much , got tired of having shots fired in our vicinity , and having the construction office trailer aerated by people using it for target practice . Got a better job after being off for about a month after the firing , one that lasted almost 20 years . Learned my lesson ,don't work in Cincinnati's west end if you can help it .

For taking off work too much , got tired of having shots fired in our vicinity , and having the construction office trailer aerated by people using it for target practice . Got a better job after being off for about a month after the firing , one that lasted almost 20 years . Learned my lesson ,don't work in Cincinnati's west end if you can help it .

So you're saying you're not interested in any work at my project in the Fay Apartments, then?

It was 1971 and I was 24 and just out of my apprenticeship for about 2 months . We were running underground steam transmission and condensate return lines from a central boiler house to all the apartment buildings in the old Laurel Homes and Lincoln Homes projects located on ( Lincoln Park Drive) now Ezzard Charles Drive . The worst incident happened when the wrong football team won at a field across from where our trailers were located and a major fight broke out between the sides . Sorta like the storming of Omaha beach with our construction crew working in a ditch located between the warring sides . After that incident conditions on the job site deteriorated . I was fired by a gentleman who took over when the original foreman went on vacation . Turned out my Uncle had fired this gentleman years earlier for drinking on the job . Probably a payback as when I talked to the original foreman later he stated that he would have never let me go . A number of years later the fellow who fired me came to work for me at the new company on a job where I was foreman . Boy did I look for a legitimate excuse to fire the guy. Never did fire him although I did lay him off when I could have sent him to another job that was just starting up .

Edited by rockmom

I have fired once, but have never been fired. I did terminate myself from employment once. I cut tobacco for 4 hours one day while in college and after 4 hours decided that living in a cardboard box or starving to death were more appealing than cutting tobacco.

P.S. the CWB "bagger" story was AWESOME. Definitely my kind of humor!!!:thumb:

Been in sales 16 yrs and you aint been in sales if you havent been fired atleast once. I was fired by a new Sales Manager who they brought in from Indianapolis. I was outspoken about his inability to manage and sent a couple emails to some people that threw me under the bus. He figured out a way to fire me and it was the best thing to ever happen to me. 3 yrs later I am making 15% more money at my new position and the folks I work for are sooooo much better to deal with. Not to mention I have the luxury of working out of my home and a very flexible schedule which I didnt have at my former employer.

The buffoon is still in the position at my former employer and several former co-workers send me funny emails quoting some of the stupid things he says in sales meetings. We used to print off his emails and play "correct the grammar" games. LOL

I have fired once, but have never been fired. I did terminate myself from employment once. I cut tobacco for 4 hours one day while in college and after 4 hours decided that living in a cardboard box or starving to death were more appealing than cutting tobacco.

I've worked a number of jobs in the restaurant biz, and I've "terminated" myself a couple times. :D

My favorite, though, was working in this factory in my hometown while in college. Worked there when the place first opened the summer after my freshman year, and it was like a continuation of high school in that I worked with all of my buddies. They turned us loose onto the factory floor on expensive towmotors and Telxon units with little to no training. The misadventures were many.

Fast forward three summers later, and I'm back at the place. Different group working with me this time in terms of temporary folks, but many of the same yayhoos I worked with that first summer were still there. Not too bad, but didn't get to run free with the towmotors like before, sadly (but for the good of everyone else's safety).

Decided, "What the hell?" and signed on for a week of work during the ensuing spring break. Working nights now, though, which was different. Worked one day and positively hated it and how dreadfully boring it was. The next day I made it through first break, but instead of turning into the break room, I just kept on walking. I was just too depressed about the thought of another minute in the joint, let alone the rest of the week.

I vowed then I would never work in a factory again.

:thumb::thumb:

• 1 month later...
I laughed out loud CWB!

Thought for sure I knew where you were going with that, CWB...but, I had a different garden tool in mind!

That is a riot my friend. Too funny.

That's awesomer!

Retired but never fired.

Funny stuff, CWB!

:lol::lol::lol:

CWB you are not right, but it was funny

Many thanks, many thanks. That's probably one of my personal top 5 favorite sitting-around-drinking-beer-and-shooting-the-breeze stories.