Very Interesting

Thomas Aquinas is not just a folk . He is a Saint and a Doctor of the Church and as such his memory deserves respect .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas

Yep, I thought that most people would understand the serious theologian+ that is/was Saint Thomas Aquinas.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas Aquinas is not just a folk . He is a Saint and a Doctor of the Church and as such his memory deserves respect .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Aquinas

I am well aware of that & my comment was not intended to be disrespectful. But the words of Scripture are greater than those of Aquinas. The author leaned more heavily IMO on the words of Aquinas than those of Scripture.

Randy in Acts, I'm not sure but its early the new Christians sold a lot of things and shared with other new Christians and in Acts 5 there is a story about someone who did do this and a couple who wanted to and couldn't. A very good read, I'll look it up later.

Jesus tells of the Rich Young ruler who he met and wants to join Jesus, Jesus tells him to sell everything he owns and he can, the Rich guy walks away. Jesus knew his heart. 1st Samual 16:7

Randy in Acts, I'm not sure but its early the new Christians sold a lot of things and shared with other new Christians and in Acts 5 there is a story about someone who did do this and a couple who wanted to and couldn't. A very good read, I'll look it up later.

Jesus tells of the Rich Young ruler who he met and wants to join Jesus, Jesus tells him to sell everything he owns and he can, the Rich guy walks away. Jesus knew his heart. 1st Samual 16:7

I am well aware of the Acts stories, but again, the early Christians freely gave of their possessions. They are the prime example of what the Bible calls for--willful, cheerful, generous giving to the church (laid at the apostles' feet), who in turn gives to those in need. Acts repeatedly says there were no needy persons among the believers. What a number of people are calling for today is forced, arm-twisting, reluctant taxation, given to the government, who in turn redistributes money to those who are perceived to be poor (some are genuinely poor & others are not).

Never does Scripture, as Aquinas claimed, state that believers "have no right to goods which are not needed to support our station in life when others are in need." A number of Biblical heroes & some of Jesus closest friends (Mary, Martha, & Lazarus, for example) were people of wealth. When Zacchaeus turned his life around, he paid back four times what he had cheated from people. Jesus didn't tell him that wasn't enough--that he needed to sell everything & give back. He did ask that of the Rich Young Ruler, because the guy's money was his god--it was the one thing standing in the way of his becoming a devoted disciple.

Believers are commanded to meet needs when we see them--to follow the early believers' example of compassion & generosity. Taxing & redistribution is not the appropriate means to that end.

I am well aware of the Acts stories, but again, the early Christians freely gave of their possessions. They are the prime example of what the Bible calls for--willful, cheerful, generous giving to the church (laid at the apostles' feet), who in turn gives to those in need. Acts repeatedly says there were no needy persons among the believers. What a number of people are calling for today is forced, arm-twisting, reluctant taxation, given to the government, who in turn redistributes money to those who are perceived to be poor (some are genuinely poor & others are not).
Of the 535 members of Congress granted the authority to dfraft laws and set taxation... not one IMO rises to the level of "Apostle" in terms of godly wisdom or spiritual insight. Many however, have proven beyond a shadow of doubt their propensity for doing very much the opposite of what a true sold out to Jesus Christ Apostle would choose to do. The blind faith I see in some to trust severely flawed humans in an increasingly corrupt government system committed less to the good of all American people, but targeted at voting blocks that will preserve certain weasels' power bases is beyond disturbing.

The apostles were accountable to God first, and to the growing flock of Christ second. They understood the weight of responsibility upon them to serve with wisdom, humility, self sacrifice and grace. I find it difficult to identify 5% of our current congressmen with even a distantly similar commitment.

You could give everybody the same, equal amount tomorrow and within five years we'd be back to where we are now. There is a reason the rich are rich, and a reason the poor are poor.
How many times have we seen or heard stories about people winning the lottery and ending up worse off just a few years later than they were before. I know of one individual who blew through a $27 million cash payoff (after taxes... he had a full $27 million at his disposal.) Three years later, he was completely busted. He had to sell everything he'd previously bought just to pay off his obligations.

I know of small Christian schools that invest about a third of the public school average per student, that turn out superior scholars to their better financed public school counterparts.

I know of home schooled kids that received far less in terms of money invested than their public school counterparts, who absolutely smoke the SAT and ACT tests and earn full rides for academics.

It's not all about money. It's about solid morals and building character. A man with true character committed to God can accomplish far more than a fool with billions at his disposal.

Until our government is committed to doing the wise and proper things with my tax dollars... I will be reluctant to hand over any more of them than I absolutely have to. I would prefer to be certain that my "giving" is directed to persons and causes I know are working toward the kind of change I can believe in.

:thumb:

My favorite post response. Again can I join the thumbs up club?

I also wonder if there is the term Holier than thou in scripture? Because Jesus talks more taking care of the poor and the ultimate bad plight of the rich than he does everything else, yet our 'Christian lawmakers' worry more about keeping Gays from marrying and sexual morality than they do about taking care of the least of these. You guys continue to attack personally when I talk about systemic and systematic change. Our government is not a fascist dictatorship. We elect people to congress to do the will of the people. The government does not steal money from anyone (God would say the money is not yours anyway - matter of fact, God would probably say that money actually belongs to 'Ceasar'.

My favorite post response. Again can I join the thumbs up club?

I also wonder if there is the term Holier than thou in scripture? Because Jesus talks more taking care of the poor and the ultimate bad plight of the rich than he does everything else, yet our 'Christian lawmakers' worry more about keeping Gays from marrying and sexual morality than they do about taking care of the least of these. You guys continue to attack personally when I talk about systemic and systematic change. Our government is not a fascist dictatorship. We elect people to congress to do the will of the people. The government does not steal money from anyone (God would say the money is not yours anyway - matter of fact, God would probably say that money actually belongs to 'Ceasar'.

Like I said, you generalize yet accuse others of just that. How many times have you accused me of hating or not liking the poor? Then you get upset because I give a thumbs up to someone for something that's clearly no worse than what you accuse me of.... Puhleeze.