Cardinals trade Rasmus to Toronto as part of 8 player trade

The person who may help them the most in that deal is Dotel. Jackson's numbers aren't all that good so he offers depth more than anything else. I guess they might move McClellan back to the pen to help further there. Personally I like McClellan better starting than Jackson but I can see moving him back to the pen to help out there.
McClellan isn't able to handle a starter's workload. He's a mediocre starter at best but a pretty good reliever.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for the trade ... I would wait on the PTBNLs to be identified before making a judgment. I have to think there is a prospect or two in the bunch, given that only one of the guys coming from Toronto are under the Cardinals' control past this season.

Still, I don't understand the Cardinals' hurry to get rid of Rasmus. I don't think it's real smart to trade a guy because you're ticked off at him, and that's what appears to be the case here.

Jackson helps the rotation and the Cardinals basically rebuilt their bullpen, which looks a lot better now than it did 24 hours ago. They've got six solid guys from the right side (Salas, Dotel, McClellan, Lynn, Motte and Boggs) at their disposal and at least one good lefty now.

One other thing ... the Cards have really shown a lot of faith in Jon Jay, who excels in the fourth-outfielder role but didn't produce (.244, 1 HR in two months) as the everyday rightfielder after Ryan Ludwick was traded to the Padres last year.

Well I was confused :lol:

I'm not really sure how people believe the Blue Jays got the better end of the deal though.

Long-term ... how would they not, unless there is a prospect or two in the PTBNLs?

Of the four guys the Cardinals acquired, only one is under their control past this season.

Edwin Jackson, the supposed big pickup in this deal, sure has been traded a whole lot. I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, but his all-time record is 53-58 and he's playing on his 6th team since 2003.

Baseball-reference.com says he compares to John Whitehead, Wade Blasingame, Al Nipper and Ken Schrom. That's what's going to win the division for St. Louis?

In the long run they maybe right, but I think this deal goes a long way toward the Cards chances this year in the NL Central.

I think the key was getting Corey Patterson in the deal. Hahahaha that made me laugh too!

Edwin Jackson, the supposed big pickup in this deal, sure has been traded a whole lot. I'm not saying he's a bad pitcher, but his all-time record is 53-58 and he's playing on his 6th team since 2003.

Baseball-reference.com says he compares to John Whitehead, Wade Blasingame, Al Nipper and Ken Schrom. That's what's going to win the division for St. Louis?

No the improvement in their bullpen is the key here.

Long-term ... how would they not, unless there is a prospect or two in the PTBNLs?

Of the four guys the Cardinals acquired, only one is under their control past this season.

Well I'd imagine they'll get prospects...considering it says 3 PTBNL.

Plus St. Louis didn't give up anybody in their future plans to upgrade their SP and Bullpen.

Rasmus is a good talent, but also a headcase and those don't turn out well...

Well I'd imagine they'll get prospects...considering it says 3 PTBNL.

Well, there are prospects and there are prospects.

Plus St. Louis didn't give up anybody in their future plans to upgrade their SP and Bullpen.

Rasmus wasn't in their future plans?

Rasmus is a good talent, but also a headcase and those don't turn out well...

I'm not sure that Rasmus is such a head case ... J.D. Drew didn't get along with LaRussa, and he turned out all right. Scott Rolen and Brendan Ryan had issues with LaRussa, too, and were sent packing because of it.

Well, there are prospects and there are prospects.

Rasmus wasn't in their future plans?

I'm not sure that Rasmus is such a head case ... J.D. Drew didn't get along with LaRussa, and he turned out all right. Scott Rolen and Brendan Ryan had issues with LaRussa, too, and were sent packing because of it.

Rasmus was the only decent piece the Blue Jays got. If Jackson is productive at all in St. Louis then I'd atleast consider it a wash.

And obviously Rasmus wasn't in their future plans considering they traded him...

What Dad doesn't talk to their son about hitting if they taught them how to hit their entire life?

My guess is Larussa has this year left and possibly one more. Is it in his best interest to go all in now? Why does he care about the future of the Cards?