Cardinals trade Rasmus to Toronto as part of 8 player trade

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rasmus was the only decent piece the Blue Jays got. If Jackson is productive at all in St. Louis then I'd atleast consider it a wash.

And obviously Rasmus wasn't in their future plans considering they traded him...

The Cardinals may end up with only one of the players they got in the deal (Rzepczynski) on their roster next year. That may not turn out to be much of a return.

Link...

TORONTO - “He’s listening to somebody, he doesn’t listen to the Cardinal coaches much and that’s why he gets in these funks. If he would stay with what they teach, he would have ... but I actually feel concern for him, because he hears it from so many places, he’s got to be confused.”

— Tony La Russa on centre fielder Colby Rasmus, to KSDK-TV.

Not so, says the man supposedly in Rasmus’ ear.

“This is the second time Tony has said this in the last three weeks, the statement that Colby is listening to me is 100% fiction,” said Tony Rasmus, father of the Blue Jays’ new centre fielder, from Phenix City, Alabama.

Colby Rasmus, 24, the son was acquired in a busy day of dealing Wednesday.

Tony Rasmus, the father, coaches the Russell County High School Warriors, who won the 2005 national high school title going 38-1 with Colby hitting 24 home runs, breaking Bo Jackson’s Alabama state high school home run record.

Fathers are protective of their sons, it’s part of their job.

Tony Rasmus didn’t throw the first stone, but he was firing back.

In June of 2010 the father visited his son in St. Louis and worked on hitting: “We didn’t do anything serious. Colby told Tony about it. After last June that was the end of that,” said Tony Rasmus, who said four weeks ago the Cards and Colby were involved in talks on a four-year deal.

“Evidently Tony (La Russa) has absolutely made that stuff up. He’s got it on the brain. If I was working with my son I’d tell people.

“Tony needed pitching and wanted to force the GM into making a trade, so he belittled Colby to the fans.”

Besides adding right-handed starter Edwin Jackson, who the Jays had acquired from the White Sox earlier Wednesday, the Cards added relievers Marx Rzepczynski and Octavio Dotel from the Jays.

“Tony would like to have 25 pitchers,” Tony Rasmus said, “like he thinks he has to put his stamp on every ball game. They had nothing else to trade. I think everyone is better off now.”

The Cardinals may end up with only one of the players they got in the deal (Rzepczynski) on their roster next year. That may not turn out to be much of a return.
Actually, if Jackson ends up leaving as a free agent, the Cardinals could get a draft pick or two, depending on whether he's a Type A or Type B free agent. The trade could actually work out well for them, but it's a process that may take years to evaluate.

Actually, if Jackson ends up leaving as a free agent, the Cardinals could get a draft pick or two, depending on whether he's a Type A or Type B free agent. The trade could actually work out well for them, but it's a process that may take years to evaluate.

Most trades are.

They would have to offer him arbitration which IMO he would likely accept but you never know. He made $8.35M this year. Not sure they can afford that.