What does this 2011 Red's team need more than anything else?

And I guess you don't count how bad injuries hurt your team...:idunno: Give me the guy with 60 points less on the OBP if he's going to be healthy all season.

In 2009 and 2010, Phillips played 308 games and Utley played in 271. Phillips was on base a total of 436 times and scored 178 runs. Utley was on base a total of 471 times and scored 187 runs.

Utley was on base more often, and scored more runs, in fewer games.

Anything else you need cleared up?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Reds certainly did not think that Janish was going to be a part-time role player. Coming into the season Dusty said that he would be the full-time shortstop and Renteria would spot start. They chose to sink or swim with him imo.

I knew I wasn't crazy...Completely

In 2009 and 2010, Phillips played 308 games and Utley played in 271. Phillips was on base a total of 436 times and scored 178 runs. Utley was on base a total of 471 times and scored 187 runs.

Utley was on base more often, and scored more runs, in fewer games.

Anything else you need cleared up?

Sure. Is Utley worth 4 million more?

Agreed about lead off. Jose Reyes would fix a lot of their weaknesses. Hits for average, in the lead off spot, and is great defensively. I don't really care if they'd be renting him for half of a season, I think it would turn this team around.

The Reds did sign Seaver from the Mets...no one thought they would

You're darn right it's common, and it's no misconception ... Utley has finished in the top 10 in MVP voting three times and was in the top 15 on two other occasions. Phillips has never come close to that.

They've both been regulars for the last five seasons, from 2006-10. These are their average numbers in that span:

Utley ... .299-27-93, .390 OBP, .520 SLP

Phillips ... .275-21-81, .326 OBP, .447 SLP

Not even close ... 60-point differences in OBP and SLP and a 120-point edge in OPS are huge. And that's even with Utley suffering two major injuries, one on a HBP that might have cost him the MVP award in 2007 and the missed time after hip surgery before last season.

Some of the defensive metrics even rate Utley's defense above that of Phillips, even though the latter has won two Gold Gloves.

You have got to be kidding when you try to rate them equal defensively. Utley doesn't get to anywhere near the balls that Phillips does and couldn't throw me out on a ball hit up the middle. No comparison when it comes to defense.

I knew I wasn't crazy...Completely

Maybe not crazy, but not correct either. Do you want to stand by your comparison of Cozart's stats in low A ball vs Tulowitzki's number in AA ball when Tulowitzki was a year younger? Do you want to disregard the fact the Tulowitzki was twice rated in the top 25 prospects before he was called up while Cozart has never been? Do you want to disregard the fact that Cozart hit .255 in AAA last season with almost 3 times as many strikeouts as walks? Look, we can all see your man-crush on Cozart....and he might even do as good a job as Janish. However, this is not a player that is going to come up, fill the leadoff spot and be a real difference maker for the club. And no, I haven't seen him play every day--but the Reds pay people to watch him play every day and if they thought he was the missing piece he'd already be up with the big club. It isn't like Janish is making $10 million a year or is a franchise icon. Cozart is much more likely to be Jack Wilson than Troy Tulowitzski.

Maybe not crazy, but not correct either. Do you want to stand by your comparison of Cozart's stats in low A ball vs Tulowitzki's number in AA ball when Tulowitzki was a year younger? Do you want to disregard the fact the Tulowitzki was twice rated in the top 25 prospects before he was called up while Cozart has never been? Do you want to disregard the fact that Cozart hit .255 in AAA last season with almost 3 times as many strikeouts as walks? Look, we can all see your man-crush on Cozart....and he might even do as good a job as Janish. However, this is not a player that is going to come up, fill the leadoff spot and be a real difference maker for the club. And no, I haven't seen him play every day--but the Reds pay people to watch him play every day and if they thought he was the missing piece he'd already be up with the big club. It isn't like Janish is making $10 million a year or is a franchise icon. Cozart is much more likely to be Jack Wilson than Troy Tulowitzski.

I do stick by opinion...Since when has the Reds front office been so great at making decisions? You are no more right to say Cozart can't make a difference and help this team than I am by hyping him up...

I do stick by opinion...Since when has the Reds front office been so great at making decisions? You are no more right to say Cozart can't make a difference and help this team than I am by hyping him up...

Actually, since the bulk of the team that won the division was built through the draft or trades I'd say they've done pretty well--especially since Jocketty came aboard. And besides, all those scouts, the GM, Louisville's manager, Baseball America--they don't know what they're talking about. Especially Jocketty, he's only been part of a major league front office since 1980--but hey, you watch the Bats every day and know that Cozart is the real deal, no matter what the numbers say. I'm sure we, and Walt should listen to you.

I'm not even a Reds fan and don't care either way. However, it is the starting pitching that needs to be fixed for the Reds to make a run. Calling up Kurt Stillwell.....errrrr Cozart isn't going to be the missing link.

Actually, since the bulk of the team that won the division was built through the draft or trades I'd say they've done pretty well--especially since Jocketty came aboard. And besides, all those scouts, the GM, Louisville's manager, Baseball America--they don't know what they're talking about. Especially Jocketty, he's only been part of a major league front office since 1980--but hey, you watch the Bats every day and know that Cozart is the real deal, no matter what the numbers say. I'm sure we, and Walt should listen to you.

I don't think the numbers look bad, he wouldn't be the first prospect that strikes out quite a bit...Baseball America has been.hyping Cozart up as well for 2 years now...

I don't think the numbers look bad, he wouldn't be the first prospect that strikes out quite a bit...Baseball America has been.hyping Cozart up as well for 2 years now...

Really, they have? Wasn't he rated the REDS, not the majors 8th best prospect last season? Where was he ranked amongst the top 100 prospects this season? I'll help you out here's the list: 2011 Top Prospects I didn't see him. Making the Hot Sheet means just that, he's been hot for the last little bit. But again, I'm sure you know more than the guys that get paid to evaluate prospects for a living because, after all, you do watch all of his at bats.

Really, they have? Wasn't he rated the REDS, not the majors 8th best prospect last season? Where was he ranked amongst the top 100 prospects this season? I'll help you out here's the list: 2011 Top Prospects I didn't see him. Making the Hot Sheet means just that, he's been hot for the last little bit. But again, I'm sure you know more than the guys that get paid to evaluate prospects for a living because, after all, you do watch all of his at bats.

Baseball america had him tabbed as the Best Defensive College player out of every position not just SS coming out of the draft...They said he had to improve at the plate which he has every year now, im talking about Power Numbers and RBIs not all the K to BB ratios and all that non sense, which I think is important but Reds management apparently does.not...Just look at Stubbs, Gomes, Janish, Bruce untill now and others the Reds seem more concerned with sluggers...I know all these guys didn't come up through the Reds farm, but 3 of them did and obviously plate discipline isn't important to.them as bunting is not either...Maybe you need to talk to Jock and tell him about these obp and ops numbers and how they are important in judging a prospect...Because prospects don't usually natural get better with seasoning in the plate discipline category, not...many prospects get called up due to power numbers, rbis, speed and defense ...tools come first eye comes second...Cozart has had the tools now for a while...PS I hope your enjoying all this good fun, I know you loved it and even though I am a Reds fan I enjoy my underdog role on here and my avatar has been a good switch for Reds success...RIP you will never be forgotten, all this bantering got me.thinking about you!!!

Baseball america had him tabbed as the Best Defensive College player at of every position not just SS coming out of the draft...They said he had to improve at the plate which he has every year now, im talking about Power Numbers and RBIs not all the K to BB ratios and all that non sense, which I think is important but Reds management apparently does.not...Just look at Stubbs, Gomes, Janish, Bruce untill now and others the Reds seem more concerned with sluggers...I know all these guys didn't come up through the Reds farm, but 3 of them did and obviously plate discipline isn't important to.them as bunting is not either...Maybe you need to talk to Jock and tell him about these obp and ops numbers and how they are important in judging a prospect...Because prospects don't usually natural get better with seasoning in the plate discipline category, many prospects get called up due to power numbers, rbis, speed and defense ...tools come first eye comes second...Cozart has had the tools now for a while...

Since you watch all his games, did you watch him hit .255 last season against AAA pitching? How is that improving every year--his average dropped each time he moved up? Paul Janish hit .252 in his last year in AAA. About the same as Cozart. Cozart is much likely to be Janish 2.0 than Tulowitzki...if you think Cozart wasn't give the same chance as Tulowitzki you're delusional. Tulowitzki's talent was recognized from the outset and he was moved up. Cozart has been a good glove man in the minors with decent power, speed and poor plate discipline. The minors are full of Zack Cozarts.

Since you watch all his games, did you watch him hit .255 last season against AAA pitching? How is that improving every year--his average dropped each time he moved up? Paul Janish hit .252 in his last year in AAA. About the same as Cozart. Cozart is much likely to be Janish 2.0 than Tulowitzki...if you think Cozart wasn't give the same chance as Tulowitzki you're delusional. Tulowitzki's talent was recognized from the outset and he was moved up. Cozart has been a good glove man in the minors with decent power, speed and poor plate discipline. The minors are full of Zack Cozarts.

Good Night AJG...Cozart will have quite a few people on here eating crow sooner rather than later...I guess the Minors are full of Drew Stubbs types too for comparisons sake because he never hit for a high average in the minors and struck out quite a bit...Many on here would say Stubbs will be an All Star someday probably, but Janish is just as good as Cozart lol...Janish never showed Speed or Power in the Minors which is what Stubbs and Cozart happen to have in common...Mike Leake and Travis Wood would hit for a higher average than Janish if they played everyday...

Except that the evidence is with him ...

Baseball America has been.hyping Cozart up as well for 2 years now...

I used to subscribe to Baseball America. They hype everybody ...

They said he had to improve at the plate which he has every year now, im talking about Power Numbers and RBIs not all the K to BB ratios and all that non sense

Nonsense, huh? Enough said ...

Because prospects don't usually natural get better with seasoning in the plate discipline category, not...many prospects get called up due to power numbers, rbis, speed and defense ...tools come first eye comes second...

A bad eye can undermine anyone's tools ... we've seen it happen time and time again in baseball history.