Fitness goals?

woodsrider

You still looking to get in the same line of work we talked about a while back?

Yes sir, and I graduate Sunday with a double bach in CJ/Poly Sci and as of ummm NOW I'm willing to move, so if you know of any openings let me know.

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can already do 15 minutes fine, well by fine I mean I can do it lol. I just don't have the endurance which is what I feel I need to work on.

If you can do it know push yourself harder each 30 seconds. The endurance wll get better.

I just joined a crossfit gym in NKY. Did the Jackie yesterday, along with some running and deadlifting. Did the Cindy today along with some overhead squats.

I'm so sore I can barely move, but I love it. And it is expensive so I don't know how long I'll be able to afford going, but I can learn alot while I'm there.

Thats going to be my biggest problem with joining one. I believe the one in Evansville is around $100 a month. If I do it it will be for a few months just to get the instruction. They offer 3 free classes so I will so that first to see how I like it.

I have had many goals for the past 16 months and I must say that I have hit every one of them. With out exercise, eating and sitting on the couch watching TV, I hit a weight of 300lbs. in Dec. 2009.

For the past 16 months I have lost 131.5 lbs., ran a 5K with my son, a 10K, The Papa John's 10 miler, and now the Flying Pig 1/2 marathon all without walking and coming in the upper half of all entries. Next goals are the Bourbon chase this fall and to do a FULL marathon. I have even seen that RunDisney has a 36.3 mile "Goofy race" in Jan. (run a 1/2 on sat. and a full on sun.) that I have an eye on. All you have to do is keep a 16:00 a mile pace. I've done the 1/2 way faster than that, and know I could do the full in under a 16:00 pace. Just not sure of doing both back to back yet.

At 46 years old I am currently in the best health of my life and considered normal on the bmi scale for the first time ever. I am in the process of purchasing a TREK bike to ride to work for the summer. I can honestly say that I plan on being around when my children start having kids.

My hats off to you brother!

You broke the chain and are now on a mission. You have done what I need to do.

Congratulations!

I never paid to much attention on marathons or halfs until the Flying Pig. At the pig expo all the local marathons coming up were there with flyers. I never knew there where so many and took brochers of them all. A few that caught my eye where the Chicago, Indianoplis, Disney, St. Louis, Columbus, and the Nascar one in North Carolina. Thanks for the heads up on the Memphis one Bugatti! December would be a great time to do a marathon.

Run by day, rock by night.

Registration opens here soon. It sells out rather quickly... the half does at least. You will not be disappointed in this race. The finish is cool because your complete it at Auto Zone Park and they announce your name through the stadium. As I said, the support is tremendous and you get to run through St. Jude's Hospital which can bring a tear to your eye. Some of the kids may be outside and you sort of get mad at yourself for ever questioning how tough this race is for me when it pales in comparison anything they go through.

Run by day, rock by night.

Registration opens here soon. It sells out rather quickly... the half does at least. You will not be disappointed in this race. The finish is cool because your complete it at Auto Zone Park and they announce your name through the stadium. As I said, the support is tremendous and you get to run through St. Jude's Hospital which can bring a tear to your eye. Some of the kids may be outside and you sort of get mad at yourself for ever questioning how tough this race is for me when it pales in comparison anything they go through.

That sounds like a pretty cool one. I need to do a mini in between The Chase and hopefully Ragnar Key West. I may sign up on Friday.

Well now that I'm no longer in college I'm thinking about working out in the morning, I used to and loved it, I feel so much more energized at work when I do that, and worst case scenario if I don't make it in the morning I'll go after work.

With that said I rarely ever eat breakfast, so I'm going to start. I'm thinking bannana or yougurt with maybe some orange juice or something but not alot sense I'll be getting ready to go to the gym right after. Probably eat lunch about 3-4 hours after the gym. For my snack around 3-4 I'll do a pint of milk with my protein. Then whatever for dinner try not to be too unhealthy though. I LOVE fruit, so I'm hoping to keep alot around the house and use that for snacks.

I always take my protein within 20-30 minutes after my workout. That's when your muscles are really starving for it.

I usually work out early in the morning, and only drink water before hitting the gym. I do some light cardio work for 10-15 minutes just to get the blood flowing, then hit the weights (probably for 45 min. or so). Then, after I've burned through whatever carbs I had still remaining, I do my high intensity cardio for about 20 minutes. That's when I feel I'm really working on the fat stores.

Immediately afterwards (while I'm getting ready to shower/change) I have my protein shake. About an hour or so later, I have my breakfast...oatmeal with blueberries. Get's me fully charged for the day ahead. Then it's eating every 2 or 3 hours...usually trying to eat a protein with a carb. (string cheese/apple, cottage cheese/yogurt, etc.) I may have a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread for lunch, and a protein/fiber bar later in the day too. I'll also munch on carrotts and celery as well. I've also got a can of almonds in my desk at work, as well as in my vehicle, in case I get a craving all of a sudden.

Back at home, I'll have fish/chicken/shrimp/bison/turkey along with something like brown rice, and a vegetable for supper. Portion size for me, is a key as well. For my protein, I try not to eat anything larger than a clenched fist, while my carbs I look for something in the size of my palm. It's worked wonders for me, without having to always look at the label for their "portion size".

As someone else has already said, NOT eating can sometimes be more detrimental than eating. If I feel hungry (a rarity) I eat. Even if its just a handful of almonds. I don't worry about it, because I know how active I'm going to be. So the combination of speeding up my metabolism (because it's not storing everything) and burning more calories than I take in, has helped me lose the weight (29 pounds in last 5 weeks). Now, if you're looking to maintain a weight, you may have to eat even more calories, or cut back on the workouts.

I always take my protein within 20-30 minutes after my workout. That's when your muscles are really starving for it.

I usually work out early in the morning, and only drink water before hitting the gym. I do some light cardio work for 10-15 minutes just to get the blood flowing, then hit the weights (probably for 45 min. or so). Then, after I've burned through whatever carbs I had still remaining, I do my high intensity cardio for about 20 minutes. That's when I feel I'm really working on the fat stores.

Immediately afterwards (while I'm getting ready to shower/change) I have my protein shake. About an hour or so later, I have my breakfast...oatmeal with blueberries. Get's me fully charged for the day ahead. Then it's eating every 2 or 3 hours...usually trying to eat a protein with a carb. (string cheese/apple, cottage cheese/yogurt, etc.) I may have a turkey sandwich on whole grain bread for lunch, and a protein/fiber bar later in the day too. I'll also munch on carrotts and celery as well. I've also got a can of almonds in my desk at work, as well as in my vehicle, in case I get a craving all of a sudden.

Back at home, I'll have fish/chicken/shrimp/bison/turkey along with something like brown rice, and a vegetable for supper. Portion size for me, is a key as well. For my protein, I try not to eat anything larger than a clenched fist, while my carbs I look for something in the size of my palm. It's worked wonders for me, without having to always look at the label for their "portion size".

As someone else has already said, NOT eating can sometimes be more detrimental than eating. If I feel hungry (a rarity) I eat. Even if its just a handful of almonds. I don't worry about it, because I know how active I'm going to be. So the combination of speeding up my metabolism (because it's not storing everything) and burning more calories than I take in, has helped me lose the weight (29 pounds in last 5 weeks). Now, if you're looking to maintain a weight, you may have to eat even more calories, or cut back on the workouts.

Good post. Listen to your body and it will let you know when you need to eat. Sometime people get too hung up on having to eat by a schedule. The fact is eat when your hungry and eat until your full. That doesn't mean eat time you feel like you will puke but you need to feed the machine. A pretty average day for me looks like this...

5:00am - 2 scoops of Jack3D, head to the gym

7:00am - Protein shake (scoop of protein powder, 8oz milk, 1/2 cup strawberry yogurt), 2 Omega 3 eggs, 2pcs bacon

8:00-9:00 - half a gala apple

11:00am - 8oz steak, asparagus, lettuce salad w/oil and vinegar dressing

2:00pm - Cottage Cheese w/pineapple, either a protein bar or some almonds

6:00pmish - 8oz chicken breast, broccoli, either salad or green beans

9:00pmish - Cottage cheese with a few blueberries to kill the taste

I try to get around 2000-2200 calories with a 55/35/15 % base for fat/protein/carbs.

Good post. Listen to your body and it will let you know when you need to eat. Sometime people get too hung up on having to eat by a schedule. The fact is eat when your hungry and eat until your full. That doesn't mean eat time you feel like you will puke but you need to feed the machine. A pretty average day for me looks like this...

5:00am - 2 scoops of Jack3D, head to the gym

7:00am - Protein shake (scoop of protein powder, 8oz milk, 1/2 cup strawberry yogurt), 2 Omega 3 eggs, 2pcs bacon

8:00-9:00 - half a gala apple

11:00am - 8oz steak, asparagus, lettuce salad w/oil and vinegar dressing

2:00pm - Cottage Cheese w/pineapple, either a protein bar or some almonds

6:00pmish - 8oz chicken breast, broccoli, either salad or green beans

9:00pmish - Cottage cheese with a few blueberries to kill the taste

I try to get around 2000-2200 calories with a 55/35/15 % base for fat/protein/carbs.

Here's my average day.

5:30 am - Workout (This is why I love Insanity because I don't have to drive to a gym)

6:45 am - Protein shake, some kind of fruit and either oatmeal, Smart Balance Omega 3 Peanut Butter on whole grain toast or if I'm in a hurry Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal.

10:00 am - Fat Free Dannon Fruit on Bottom Yogurt

12:00 pm - Salad with a meat (Tuna, Cod, Chicken or Turkey) and Italian dressing

3:00 pm - NutriGrain Bar or FiberOne Bar

6:30 pm - Really just try to limit my portion size and keep the breads, fried foods and pastas out of the equation here.

And if its Saturday - 8:00 pm - 6 pack of brews, normally an IPA (Bell's Two Hearted) of some type or a couple Bourbon Barrel Ales (Founder's or Kentucky Ale).

Here's my average day.

5:30 am - Workout (This is why I love Insanity because I don't have to drive to a gym)

6:45 am - Protein shake, some kind of fruit and either oatmeal, Smart Balance Omega 3 Peanut Butter on whole grain toast or if I'm in a hurry Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal.

10:00 am - Fat Free Dannon Fruit on Bottom Yogurt

12:00 pm - Salad with a meat (Tuna, Cod, Chicken or Turkey) and Italian dressing

3:00 pm - NutriGrain Bar or FiberOne Bar

6:30 pm - Really just try to limit my portion size and keep the breads, fried foods and pastas out of the equation here.

And if its Saturday - 8:00 pm - 6 pack of brews, normally an IPA (Bell's Two Hearted) of some type or a couple Bourbon Barrel Ales (Founder's or Kentucky Ale).

One of my favorites.

Law enforcement in some capacity. I'm burnt out at the current job, it was just a means to get me through college and now that I am done I DESPERATELY want to leave it behind.

In what capacity, specifically? Police officer, dispatcher etc? Any agencies or areas you are interested in?