Preliminary card (Spike TV)

Lightweight bout: Edson Barboza vs. Anthony Njokuani

Barboza defeated Njokuani via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Light Heavyweight bout: Eliot Marshall vs. Luiz Cane

Cane defeated Marshall via TKO (punches) at 2:15 of round 1.

Main card

Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs. Mirko Filipović

Schaub defeated Filipović via TKO (punch) at 3:44 of round 3.

Middleweight bout: Nate Marquardt vs. Dan Miller

Marquardt defeated Miller via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-27, 30-27).

Lightweight bout: Jim Miller vs. Kamal Shalorus

Miller defeated Shalorus via TKO (punches) at 2:15 of round 3.

Bantamweight bout: Urijah Faber vs. Eddie Wineland

Faber defeated Wineland by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28).

Light Heavyweight Championship bout: Maurício Rua vs. Jon Jones

Jones defeated Rua by TKO (strikes) at 2:37 of round 3 to become the new UFC Light Heavyweight Champion.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Long live the king- Jones wins and he looked as dominant as ever. I do not see how any of the top guys can beat him- no one can hit him!

Great night of fights, IMO.

Did anyone else see that Shogun actually tapped a split second after Herb Dean stopped the fight? I can not believe that Shogun would tap considering that he was not in a submission- in a sport where you get beat up, he tapped because he was getting beat up. This is a championship fight! Imagine if Tom Brady threw a couple of interceptions in the Super Bowl and then walked away and quit and gave the title to his opponent? I equate it to that, but maybe it is the emotion of the fight having just ended. I lost a lot of respect for Shogun for tapping there.

That being said, I do not see how any of the current top 10 guys at lightweight can touch Jones- figuratively and literally. I think Jones can be knocked out, but I do not see anyone getting close enough to him to test my theory any time soon. His reach is incredible!

The champions in each division are as dominant or have the potential to be as dominant as I have ever seen in the UFC. Who, at their respective weight class, do you see beating- Velazquez, Jones, Silva, St. Pierre, Edgar, Aldo or Cruz? Cruz and Edgar are the only guys that I can even conceive of being vulnerable, maybe Silva when he gets the rematch with Chael (I think Silva will dominate the rematch with Chael Sonnen once that happens).

The other fights were pretty good- Jim Miller was very impressive. Urijah was too much for Wineland once he got the fight to the ground. Schuab KO'd Cro Cop. Nate dominated Dan Miller. This night is all about Jones, though, IMO.

http://www.fightertrends.com/mma-news/ufc/jon-jones-stops-mugger-hours-before-ufc-128/

This just adds to his legend- Jon Jones is like Superman right now!

"Jon Jones Stops Mugger Hours Before UFC 128

Is there anything Jon Jones can’t do? Today in Paterson, NJ, just hours before UFC 128 as Jon Jones and his trainers where one their way to meditate in front of a waterfall before the fight, a ritual Jones always does, they spotted a robber in a parking lot breaking into a car. Jon Jones along with trainers Greg Jackson and Mike Winklejohn shouted at the robber who took off running. Jones, Jackson and Winklejohn then gave chase, Jones caught up to the robber who used a food sweep to take the robber down.

As the robber was on the ground Jackson yelled for Jones to stay away as he jumped on the robber and caught him in an arm bar. Shortly after the police arrived to arrest the suspect. Jones talked about the incident earlier today on Twitter:

“So while we were at the park today a crack head smashed this old ladys car window and took off running with her gps just as we were pulling up. … right away….Coach Wink goes after this guy. Without hesitation, Coach Jackson went after him…I was shocked and stood there for a second … then I threw my phone down and went with my coaches. Before you know it, we’re sprinting up a steep hill chasing after him. … I turned the jets on….we caught the guy. We got the lady’s gps back. … It feels so good to help others. It gives me power and energy. … Coach Jackson is a hero! … I caught him….Coach Jackson finished him. … #crack heads have no cardio”

So why isn’t New York against Mixed Martial Arts again?"

Not surprised at all to see Jones win. I didn't watch it tonight, but have seen him fight in a few others. This guy is bad news and I believe that someone has the title in the light heavyweight division that's actually going to hold onto it for a while. I don't see any others beating him in the division as it stands.

B2r, I think your comparison of shogun and Tom Brady is a bit unfair. Throwing a couple of ints doesn't hurt all that much. Try getting kicked and kneed in the face by bones jones. As fir you losing respect...that's your own right but I dint think its fair to judge him if you've never been in that situation. He was tired, beaten and likely rocked and out of his head. How can you blame him?

I hate how that article calls the guy jones caught a. "robber" when that isnt the case. A theif, yes...a robber , no. Still cool of jones to stop him. Probably not smart though considering he had no idea what that guy might have been packing.

Wow I thought Jon Jones would win but I didnt think he would whoop him like a 4 year old in K-mart. Shogun was never even in the fight it was all Jon Jones, almost looked like he was going to end it in the first round.

Wonder if Shogun will have knee surgery after this fight. Seems like he fights, then knee surgery, fight again, another knee surgery and so on. He needs to fight more often.

B2r, I think your comparison of shogun and Tom Brady is a bit unfair. Throwing a couple of ints doesn't hurt all that much. Try getting kicked and kneed in the face by bones jones. As fir you losing respect...that's your own right but I dint think its fair to judge him if you've never been in that situation. He was tired, beaten and likely rocked and out of his head. How can you blame him?

I have not been hit by Shogun, but I have over 70 amateur boxing matches under my belt in New York state- I NEVER thought of quiting on my stool. I have been knocked out- I have been beaten up. I can't imagine being in that spot in a title fight and saying I quit because the guy is hitting me. I just do not see it. Maybe the fact that I have been in this spot clouds my judgement a bit- I'll admit that. I still can not see it happening. Getting beat up is as much a part of his sport as Brady throwing picks is a part of football- I just thought Shogun had more heart than that. Jon Jones questioned Shogun's heart going into the fight in an interview on ESPN; it looks like he was right about Shogun's lack of heart, IMO.

Jones is a bad man I loved it when he threw the spinning elbows and the back hand when he was sitting on top of him. Can't wait to watch Jones beat on Rashad!

I cannot wait either. Typical Rashad move still wanting a shot at the title. I understand that is what you strive for but MMA is all about respect, theres dozens of guys out there who would not fight guys from the same team, obviously Rashad is not one of them. Wonder if they both will still train at Jackson's for the fight? I couldn't imagine Jackson, Winklejohn and Nurse not training the new champ.

I cannot wait either. Typical Rashad move still wanting a shot at the title. I understand that is what you strive for but MMA is all about respect, theres dozens of guys out there who would not fight guys from the same team, obviously Rashad is not one of them. Wonder if they both will still train at Jackson's for the fight? I couldn't imagine Jackson, Winklejohn and Nurse not training the new champ.

http://sports.espn.go.com/extra/mma/news/story?id=6239588

"Rashad Evans dumps longtime trainer

No date has been set for new UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones to defend his title against former training partner Rashad Evans, but one issue is clear: trainer Greg Jackson won't be in Evans' corner on fight night.

Jackson had trained both Jones and Evans. But Evans announced Sunday on Twitter that he has parted ways with his longtime Albuquerque, N.M.-based coach.

"I will never use Greg ever again," Evans wrote on Sunday. "Greg brought this situation about. He brought Jones on board a while back against my wishes [and] here we [are] today."

Jackson isn't the only trainer who works with both Jones and Evans, but the former UFC light heavyweight titleholder will likely leave the decision to those coaches.

Despite singling out Jackson, Evans was quick to say his decision will have no negative effect on their relationship. Evans also didn't express any ill will toward Jones, whom he has trained and sparred with in the past.

"I no longer will use Greg Jackson as my coach, but [we're] still cool," Evans wrote. "[Jones] fought amazing! I'm very happy [for] him."

Jones stopped Mauricio "Shogun" Rua in the third round Saturday night at UFC 128 in Newark, N.J., to capture the 205-pound title. At 23 years old, he is the youngest UFC titleholder ever.

Evans was originally scheduled to face Rua, but a knee injury he suffered while training forced him to pull out of the bout. Jones was then offered the title shot in February, immediately after a win over Ryan Bader.

Jones helped Evans prepare for Rua by mimicking the then-champion's movements during sparring sessions.

^ About what I figured. If I had to guess I'm pretty sure Rashad knew Greg wasn't going to go for that, your supposed to support your teammates not challenge them. I also didn't figure anyone in the the Jackson camp would turn their back on Jon Jones, I mean who would? Still, just shows why I have had a dislike for Evans for a while now, he would rather leave the best camp in the world to go out somewhere else and train for a title shot against his former sparring partner. Now whats going to happen if Jones destroys him like he has everyone else? Then what? IMO Jackson, and especially Winklejohn have made Rashad Evans what he is today, once he has turned his back on them, whats next after he loses the title fight? Its hard to cross the bridge after you have already burnt it. I understand he wants to be the champion again after what happened to him in the Machida fight, but going out and admitting jealousy that Jackson welcomed Jones to Albuquerque in the first place just shows the type of guy Rashad is IMO.