Adrian Peterson: "NFL is like modern day slavery"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The guys who are playing make plenty of money.

I would like to see the retired players taken care of a little better.

Maybe the retired guys should take better care of themselves. Unless you're going way back, most of these guys made pretty good money, even if for a short period of time. Oh maybe I'm mistaken, but I think a majority of them were given a college education. I don't feel sorry for any of them that had that kind of opportunity and didn't benefit from it

I don't agree w/ that. The players get 60% after the owners take the first BILLION in revenue off of the top. The average career is what, 48 games, and that is not the mean, but the average. Owners will be making 1/32 of a billion dollars plus 40% of the revenue pulled in for the length of their ownership. If I'm a player, I try to make as much as I can, and I don't do more work for less pay. I don't care if they make millions, I care about the justice in what the owners are asking.

Additionally, the whole reason for this is the claim of financial hardship. However, the owners, to my knowledge, refuse to open their books to prove this claim. If they really wanted this fixed, they would show where the losses in profitability are.

Justice? You have to joking. They are MORE than welcome to find another job. Find me one successful large company where the CEO doesn't make significantly more than those who work for him. That's how things work.

I'm not on the players side. To me it appears they had absolutely no intentions of negotiating with the owners. They wanted what they wanted, and they were not budging. While the owners made counter offers and proposals where they gave a little, the players did not. IMO, the players are spoiled. Let them work a 9-5 job for $35K a year and see how upset they are about the money they are making currently.

According to the owners. The players have denied that. The only counters I have heard were made from someone other then owners and players is they dropped the the $1 billion to $750 Million. The players aren't asking for more they are only asking for the same and if the owners want some back prove why. They haven't done that.

I don't know about a majority, but I'm not sure why anyone would side with the NFLPA.

There's a poll on ESPN asking who will be more responsible if there is a work stoppage. With 133,336 votes...

50% - Owners

14% - Players

37% - Equal

I would like to be clear that I am on the players side as far as the $1 billion. If the owners can't or won't show why they need it then why should the players give it up? The rest of it I couldn't care less about.

The NFL is about as stupid as a soap opera any more. Thinking about what the average person makes in comparison to these guys and hearing them complain about wanting more money is getting old. If the majority would invest or save instead of buying who knows how many fancy cars, motorcycles, boats, houses, and who knows what else, they wouldn't have to worry and moan as much as they have. It's really getting to the point where I'm going to quit watching the NFL altogether and just stick to high school and college. The NCAA isn't much better either, it's nearly a laughing stock too.....

I don't agree w/ that. The players get 60% after the owners take the first BILLION in revenue off of the top. The average career is what, 48 games, and that is not the mean, but the average. Owners will be making 1/32 of a billion dollars plus 40% of the revenue pulled in for the length of their ownership. If I'm a player, I try to make as much as I can, and I don't do more work for less pay. I don't care if they make millions, I care about the justice in what the owners are asking.

Additionally, the whole reason for this is the claim of financial hardship. However, the owners, to my knowledge, refuse to open their books to prove this claim. If they really wanted this fixed, they would show where the losses in profitability are.

I can tell you where all of the Bucs profitability went. Manchester United. :irked:

I thought that Man U was the most profitable soccer club? Seems like it would have been a good investment.

Yeah and all of the Man U profit stays with Man U, none of it comes back to where seed money was taken. The Glazers have screwed the Tampa Bay area from day 1, Super Bowl or not, and now join the owners crying.

BTW, I feel no sympathy for the players, either. As usual, the only group that is left out in the cold here, are the fans. Regardless of any agreement, they get hosed.