George Will trashes Huckabee, Gingrich

Let me make sure I've got it right, because it is such a recuring philosophy through so many threads.

If a republican/conservative says something wrong, they are evil or stupid?

If a democrat/liberal says something wrong, they were taken out of context or it was a slip of the tongue?

Not saying I agree with anything in the article that was said.

Let me make sure I've got it right, because it is such a recuring philosophy through so many threads.

If a democrat/liberal says something wrong, they were taken out of context or it was a slip of the tongue?

You have it wrong. We are talking about a specific situation.

President Obama was born in Hawaii, so when Mrs. Obama said what she did about his "home country" her words could easily be taken by those that want to promote the "birther" silliness that she was "admitting" that he was born in Kenya. She was indeed talking about Kenya and a trip that the couple made there. SHE did not misspeak, as she was referring to Kenya. However, given the "birthers" and their agenda, IMO it was an unfortuate way to word what she meant.

Huckabee says that he meant to say Indonesia, rather than Kenya. HE says that he mis-spoke. I don't think that Huckabee is a birther, but I am unsure as to why he would confuse Kenya and Indonesia, particularly if he is (surely) aware of the birther controversy.

However, again, as Habib points out, the more troubling aspect of what Huckabee said (IMO) is that he feels that the five years that Obama spent as a child in Indonesia influenced him more than the 44 he has spent in the US.

You have it wrong. We are talking about a specific situation.

President Obama was born in Hawaii, so when Mrs. Obama said what she did about his "home country" her words could easily be taken by those that want to promote the "birther" silliness that she was "admitting" that he was born in Kenya. She was indeed talking about Kenya and a trip that the couple made there. SHE did not misspeak, as she was referring to Kenya. However, given the "birthers" and their agenda, IMO it was an unfortuate way to word what she meant.

Huckabee says that he meant to say Indonesia, rather than Kenya. HE says that he mis-spoke. I don't think that Huckabee is a birther, but I am unsure as to why he would confuse Kenya and Indonesia, particularly if he is (surely) aware of the birther controversy.

However, again, as Habib points out, the more troubling aspect of what Huckabee said (IMO) is that he feels that the five years that Obama spent as a child in Indonesia influenced him more than the 44 he has spent in the US.

Not talking about this thread exactly. But the other 100s of threads very similar to this. Like I said, it is a recurring theme.

What hasn't been addressed so far is Will's main point: the GOP field appears to be filled with non-serious candidates employing bizarre rhetoric which will tarnish the electoral prospects of the reputable candidates by process of association.

I think he's right as far as the general election goes, saying Obama is a "Kenyan anti-colonialist" might stir up popularity and donations in certain conservative circles, especially before a lot of attention is paid to the race, but it's a sure failure across the population as a whole. Where I'm less certain in agreeing with Will is that this is limited to certain "egomaniacal" candidates. I think this could be a growing trend among the candidates, not necessarily something limited to a select few. Rather than bringing down the rest by association, I think the rest could be in a position where they are going to have to engage with it. For example, this is new ground for Huckabee and he's chosen this path for a reason. Will Daniels and the like be able to avoid it and win?

While I don't agree with Huckabee on a lot of things, I've always appreciated his amiable approach to politics. This is a strange departure.

Why is Huckabee going down this road? Does this mean he's running for president and is trying to keep up with the rest of the field? Something else?

I liked Huckabee quite a bit initially. I've cooled on him since. This incident was certainly a mistake, whether he misspoke or not.

You got it right.

I think it's both ways really.

Ironically George Will is far, far from a liberal writer. He has long been a great conservative IMO. For him to point this out is telling if you ask me. :thumb: