Posted on Bengals Insider yesterday

Aaron Rodgers is pretty mobile.

So is Ben R.

That Vick guy is fairly mobile.

I think there is a difference between being mobile and being a dual threat college QB. The success rate of those QBs are terrible. McShay was discussing this earlier this morning, Michael Vick was the only QB which came from a spread option run/pass system in the top 17 in QB passer ratings for the season.

I actually just looked and the next one listed was Alex Smith at #22. Vick was #4.

I think there is a difference between being mobile and being a dual threat college QB. The success rate of those QBs are terrible. McShay was discussing this earlier this morning, Michael Vick was the only QB which came from a spread option run/pass system in the top 17 in QB passer ratings for the season.

I actually just looked and the next one listed was Alex Smith at #22. Vick was #4.

I totally agree. I think Newton will be a bust.

I totally agree. I think Newton will be a bust.

Now I did not say that, just what was reported earlier :D

All the scandal stuff aside, I like Cam Newton and hope he succeeds. He is media savvy and appears to be a bright kid and a physical freak.

Rodgers is a pretty mobile QB and has some speed but the fact is, the guy is a pass first QB and that is what it takes to be successful at the NFL level. Vick was good in his early days where it was run first, pass second but he has really transformed his game by coming to Philadelphia where now he has developed his passing game now to where is a pass first, run second kind of guy. True, Vick has really only had 1 full season as the starting QB for Philly but its definitely a good sign for the future in his development.

In short, running QBs (in-general) struggle at the pro level because the defenses now are just as quick as them.

On a side note, Big Ben isn't really "mobile" as much as he is deceptively quick and so strong in his upper and lower body that he is able to escape from tackles.

Can't wait for Palmer to announce his retirement and pray we get Newton!

Why would you want Newton? The mobile QB doesn't work very well in the NFL.

Because some people don't understand how just because you were good in college, doesn't mean you will do well in the NFL. Some people think its easy to find a QB who you can win with. I think people will realize we were not as bad off with Palmer as our QB as some people seem to think. Yes the man threw for 20 interceptions, and 6 went for touchdowns. That is bad, and something that needs to be cut down. However he also basically threw for 4000 yards, 26 touchdowns, and a passer rating of 89 on the year. Some people make him out to be a horrible QB who you can't win with. However even in a bad year for him, his numbers were still not horrible. Especially considering the circumstances of playing for a bad OC, and receivers who didn't always go to the spots they were suppose to go to and led the league in drops.

1. If it's one person he is an alumnus not an alumni.

2. Who is the guy that did the interviewing?

3. How do we know the "alumni" has any credibility?

It sounds credible Clyde but then again it could be nothing more than an active imagination of a mentally ill person...

Because some people don't understand how just because you were good in college, doesn't mean you will do well in the NFL. Some people think its easy to find a QB who you can win with. I think people will realize we were not as bad off with Palmer as our QB as some people seem to think. Yes the man threw for 20 interceptions, and 6 went for touchdowns. That is bad, and something that needs to be cut down. However he also basically threw for 4000 yards, 26 touchdowns, and a passer rating of 89 on the year. Some people make him out to be a horrible QB who you can't win with. However even in a bad year for him, his numbers were still not horrible. Especially considering the circumstances of playing for a bad OC, and receivers who didn't always go to the spots they were suppose to go to and led the league in drops.

If the Bengals get Newton I want him to be pass first and instead of sitting back there like Palmer, Newton can make something out of nothing he is probably the fastest 6'6 260 pound guy around.

It sounds credible Clyde but then again it could be nothing more than an active imagination of a mentally ill person...

Exactly, an unnamed USC alumni that talks to Carson regularly????????

My brother's cousin's uncle's grandfather's next door neighbor also talks to Carson regularly.....

If the Bengals get Newton I want him to be pass first and instead of sitting back there like Palmer, Newton can make something out of nothing he is probably the fastest 6'6 260 pound guy around.

A guy who is use to running. A guy who played in an offense who tried to take away the run because of how great their running game was in that spread. A guy who will have to make quicker decisions, and read defenses on the fly. Yet you automatically think the Bengals would be better off with him?

Not to mention you fail to realize that a reason why Palmer just sits back in the pocket. Is if you actually read and know about Bratkowski's offense. There is not much rolling a QB out, or quick 3 step drop passes. His passing game consisted of mostly 5 to 7 step drop back passes. That would be different in the West Coast system we will be seeing with Gruden, so the ball will be out of Palmers hands quicker. I am not saying Newton will be bad in the NFL, I think he will be good EVENTUALLY. However Palmer is a guy they can win with now, and starting next year. He knows what it takes to win against the division teams. Knows how to take a team down for winning drives at the end of games, and against the division teams. Newton won't know much about these top 5 defenses he will say 4 times a year in the division. It will take time for him to learn, and will have struggles. The Bengals need to get Palmer to stay, but also draft a young QB maybe in the 2nd round. I wish Newton's stock was not going up, because I would love to have him in the 2nd round. However unless the Bengals can trade down, no way do I want him with the 4th pick in the draft.

Cam Newton and the Bengals would be a bad mix IMO. I think he needs a team that has a proven QB coach and OC. He has talent and is a pretty good passer, but he's pretty raw. As good as Meyer and Mullen were I don't know how good of QB coaching he got at UF as far as the NFL goes, remember Loeffler came after Mullen to help Tebow. And as much as I love Gus Malzahn I don't know that one year in his system really prepares a QB for the NFL, because they're so heavy play-action pass out of the spread. So IMO he's going to have to work on his 3, 5 and 7 step drop, normal play action passing, and probably full field reads. I think you could probably win some games with him in year two with a heavily talored looking offense, but year 3 would be the year I'd really expect him to start getting it.

If Palmer stays I see now way they pay the two of them. I'd guess it's AJ Green for them. JMO

Cam Newton and the Bengals would be a bad mix IMO. I think he needs a team that has a proven QB coach and OC. He has talent and is a pretty good passer, but he's pretty raw. As good as Meyer and Mullen were I don't know how good of QB coaching he got at UF as far as the NFL goes, remember Loeffler came after Mullen to help Tebow. And as much as I love Gus Malzahn I don't know that one year in his system really prepares a QB for the NFL, because they're so heavy play-action pass out of the spread. So IMO he's going to have to work on his 3, 5 and 7 step drop, normal play action passing, and probably full field reads. I think you could probably win some games with him in year two with a heavily talored looking offense, but year 3 would be the year I'd really expect him to start getting it.

If Palmer stays I see now way they pay the two of them. I'd guess it's AJ Green for them. JMO

See now I basically completely agree with you on this. That is why I am a little upset that Newton's stock is going up some. Before I thought he might be available in the 2nd round when the Bengals picked, however I doubt he will be. I would have loved to get him in the 2nd round, and let him learn things for a year or two, because as you said I do think after a couple years he will be good. I don't think they should take him in the 1st round though, unless they can trade down and get him later in the 1st round.