KHSAA Bylaw 11 violated at All A State Tournament.

SID

Not stating it because my team got beat... Stating it because a rule was broken. I'll even go as far as to say my team was caught doing this and I wasn't happy with our team doing it and let it be known then as well, sorry I wasn't a member of this forum back then to express my anger, but that was 6-7 years ago. If its a rule then it needs to be enforced, if its not going to be enforced then take it out of the bylaws. Whats the point of having a rule if its not going to be enforced? Whats wrong with questioning an action thats clearly a violation of the rules? Thats one way to keep everyone on the same page, when you point out and question. A rule that is clearly stated and is in black and white. Granted around the state coaches have packs on exchange of video tape with other schools, but don't break the rules to get video tape on an opponent.

It's "petty" to complain about though. Has little if any connection to the outcome of the game. It's illegal to have an ice cream cone in your pocket in this state, so should cops stop everyone on the street and check their pockets?

And I remember the incident 6 or 7 years ago......

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your wrong on that. It would have if BL had won or lost. It's not right and furthermore its a rule that was broken.

Your painting with a broad brush. There is no way for you to know that a rule was broken. It is "NOT" illegal for a fan, or anyone to film another team. Unless it is being used for scouting purposes. An opposing team fan with a video camera is not an automatic rule infraction.

If you want to get technical, I'm guessing most of the schools were also in violation of KSHAA Bylaw 25

a) School Time shall not:

Be lost for travel to or from, or participation in, any regular

season interscholastic athletic contest.

Seeing as how the All-A is not a KHSAA sanctioned postseason event and how the tournament is counted as regular season contests, I guess we should report everyone.

Hmmm well I guess that's why school is cancelled for the day so that they won't be in violation as that bylaw is simply stating if school is in session players can't miss any part of school to travel or play in a game. if schools out they aren't missing school...

Get over it! Who cares?
MANY good posts in this thread, but your is the best one! WHO CARES? I do not consider it unsportsman like or unethical about it! As was stated above, you still have to play the game and the tapes do not give you points on the board! A little big overboard on this one!

What if team (A) gets a tape from other school (team B) who has already played team ©, and team A will be playing team C soon? Do you think that is okay? If you don't, well this happens ALL the time! If a team wants a tape of a game they will end of getting it one way or the other, either by another school, or tape it themselves.

I have to say that I am shocked at the number of people blindly defending the actions involved in this event. Sure, it's not known for sure that a rule was broken, but on the surface it looks to be shady at best. Now, if a person from one school was overheard asking a player to transfer to their school people would be on them like foul oder on dog secretion. Even if it was just rumor. But, for some reason people defend a report of a school breaking another rule. If the rules are to be followed, they all should be followed. We can't just pick and choose which ones are important.

Plus, I remember schools filming other schools in football and there was quite an up roar about it. I think one school was even fined for it. Why should this be OK?

I've never understood the reason for a rule to prevent a team from taping a game of two other teams.

Nor have I understood a rule that penalizes the school for a parent asking a player to transfer. But, the rules are the rules.

I guess my take on this is, refer to post #3, and, just six or so games back. I saw a person from another school, a teacher, with her school jacket on videoing one of our games against another team. At half time her husband came and talked with me. I asked why he and his wife were there and about her videoing. I honestly knew nothing of this rule at that time. One of the players on our team is her nephew, and she was videoing for her sister that could not be there because she had to be with a younger sibling. So all I'm saying is what gives us the right to accuse someone of cheating when we don't have a clue why the person referred to in this post was videoing a game they were not playing in. Aren't you innocent until proven guilty. This post was started with the comment that someone "was' cheating, but none of us have a clue as to why they were taping the game. That is why I took the position I did in this thread. Because it is also very poor sportsmanship to accuse someone of cheating when you have no idea if they did or not. It is not against the rules to film another school, unless you are using it for scouting.

Edited by dd734
spelling

I have to say that I am shocked at the number of people blindly defending the actions involved in this event. Sure, it's not known for sure that a rule was broken, but on the surface it looks to be shady at best. Now, if a person from one school was overheard asking a player to transfer to their school people would be on them like foul oder on dog secretion. Even if it was just rumor. But, for some reason people defend a report of a school breaking another rule. If the rules are to be followed, they all should be followed. We can't just pick and choose which ones are important.

Plus, I remember schools filming other schools in football and there was quite an up roar about it. I think one school was even fined for it. Why should this be OK?

Right on! If this same parent attempts to "recruit" a kid to a particular school, it's still a recruiting violation. It's the old, "lack of institutional control".

Right on! If this same parent attempts to "recruit" a kid to a particular school, it's still a recruiting violation. It's the old, "lack of institutional control".

You are right, a parent recruiting is breaking the rules. Filming the game of another school is not breaking the rules, unless filmed by a school "representative" for the purpose that film is used to give an unfair advantage. I can go to a different game every night and film the game. If I bring those videos home and put them in the closet and never get them out again, or send the videos to the grandparents of the players in those games that can't come to the games. That is not against the rules. It may have a bad look about it, but that is not gaining an unfair advantage. By a school representative as the rule states as well, that's also an important part of the bylaw. Filmed by a school representative, for scouting, to gain that unfair advantage and only then is videoing a violation of the bylaws.

Edited by dd734

Question would be, did the PLAYERS or COACHING STAFF review this film before the next contest which involved one of the two teams being filmed? If they did in fact do this, then YES, it is a violation, but I am sure that they would deny ever seeing this film ;)

You are right, a parent recruiting is breaking the rules. Filming the game of another school is not breaking the rules, unless filmed by a school "representative" for the purpose that film is used to give an unfair advantage. I can go to a different game every night and film the game. If I bring those videos home and put them in the closet and never get them out again, or send the videos to the grandparents of the players in those games that can't come to the games. That is not against the rules. It may have a bad look about it, but that is not gaining an unfair advantage. By a school representative as the rule states as well, that's also an important part of the bylaw. Filmed by a school representative, for scouting, to gain that unfair advantage and only then is videoing a violation of the bylaws.

What is the definition of "school representative"? I pretty sure if, in fact, this film was used by one Betsy Layne player and/or coach, the KHSAA would view the person behind the camera as a "school representative.

The wording in the recruiting bylaw is: "...on behalf of or for the benefit of, a school...". A parent can become a "school representative" real quick. If used by the school, it's the same thing.

I did not qualify in my previous post that the tape would have to be viewed by the coaching staff or players.

Oh, and why would you videotape games of kids from other schools and send them to their grandparents? Creepy...:eyeonyou: