KHSAA Bylaw 11 violated at All A State Tournament.

SID

Bylaw 11 is the sportsmanship rule of the association and it basically states what is and whats not sportsmanship. One of the case studies presented in the handbook asks if another team (team A) or someone associated with another team (team A) can film on their own two teams competing (team B vs. team C) without the permission of the two teams playing (team B vs. team C). Unless permission was given by Bishop Brossart to film their game with West Carter, Betsy Layne was in violation of this Bylaw. A fan from Betsy Layne was seen filming the West Carter vs Bishop Brossart game. The fan in question is clearly a Betsy Layne fan as it said it on their shirt. This is not only unethical but unsportsmanlike. Betsy Layne should be fined and suspended for this violation by the KHSAA. I just wonder if the fan knew they were violating the rules and was put up to doing it by someone on Betsy Laynes staff? A staff who should know the rules.

Granted this happens all the time and would not surprise me if the two teams playing hadn't done it before themselves but come on do your scouting the right way and don't put your fans up to break the rules for you.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bylaw 11 is the sportsmanship rule of the association and it basically states what is and whats not sportsmanship. One of the case studies presented in the handbook asks if another team (team A) or someone associated with another team (team A) can film on their own two teams competing (team B vs. team C) without the permission of the two teams playing (team B vs. team C). Unless permission was given by Bishop Brossart to film their game with West Carter, Betsy Layne was in violation of this Bylaw. A fan from Betsy Layne was seen filming the West Carter vs Bishop Brossart game. The fan in question is clearly a Betsy Layne fan as it said it on their shirt. This is not only unethical but unsportsmanlike. Betsy Layne should be fined and suspended for this violation by the KHSAA. I just wonder if the fan knew they were violating the rules and was put up to doing it by someone on Betsy Laynes staff? A staff who should know the rules.

Granted this happens all the time and would not surprise me if the two teams playing hadn't done it before themselves but come on do your scouting the right way and don't put your fans up to break the rules for you.

Are we over reacting a little? I have video taped games for friends from a different schools so they didn't have to try a tape their son and watch the game at the same time. I may have been wrong in doing this, however; I would do it again if asked, I will just have to get a school shirt from a school that I'm not a fan of when I do the taping. To assume they were filming for scouting material my be a little bit of a long shot. Anything is possible though.

Actually the the by law says, A school official, or someone on behalf the school, cannot film another school for the purpose of gaining an advantage. That does not mean another parent or a fan cannot film. It would be a hard one to prove.

Edited by dd734

You can have all the tape you want but players still have to play. Bottom line..

If you want to get technical, I'm guessing most of the schools were also in violation of KSHAA Bylaw 25

a) School Time shall not:

Be lost for travel to or from, or participation in, any regular

season interscholastic athletic contest.

Seeing as how the All-A is not a KHSAA sanctioned postseason event and how the tournament is counted as regular season contests, I guess we should report everyone.

Seriously? So just like that you want to undermine the success the PLAYERS at Betsy Lane have had in the All-A tourney just because someone taped the WC-Bishop Brossart game without acknowledging those two teams? Give me a break. Taping that game would not have given Betsy Lane much of an advantage anyway IMO. It's not like they had alot of time to put stuff in and prepare, and even if they did, the game still had to be won by their players.

If you want to be mad that someone taped the game fine. But, calling for Betsy Lane to get in trouble or not be allowed to play some games because of it is ridiculous. Had Betsy Lane lost the other night I would guarantee this thread would not exist.

If you want to get technical, I'm guessing most of the schools were also in violation of KSHAA Bylaw 25

a) School Time shall not:

Be lost for travel to or from, or participation in, any regular

season interscholastic athletic contest.

Seeing as how the All-A is not a KHSAA sanctioned postseason event and how the tournament is counted as regular season contests, I guess we should report everyone.

Good Point!

I just hate when people state stuff on here that seems like they're crying because their team got beat.

Not stating it because my team got beat... Stating it because a rule was broken. I'll even go as far as to say my team was caught doing this and I wasn't happy with our team doing it and let it be known then as well, sorry I wasn't a member of this forum back then to express my anger, but that was 6-7 years ago. If its a rule then it needs to be enforced, if its not going to be enforced then take it out of the bylaws. Whats the point of having a rule if its not going to be enforced? Whats wrong with questioning an action thats clearly a violation of the rules? Thats one way to keep everyone on the same page, when you point out and question. A rule that is clearly stated and is in black and white. Granted around the state coaches have packs on exchange of video tape with other schools, but don't break the rules to get video tape on an opponent.