Egyptian Protests

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've followed it some what, but still am uncertain as to what the protesting is about?

In a nutshell, perpetually unemployed youths are protesting that their government isn't doing enough to create jobs, is corrupt, and is a human rights abuser.

In a nutshell, perpetually unemployed youths are protesting that their government isn't doing enough to create jobs, is corrupt, and is a human rights abuser.

And the fact that Mubarak has been in power for over 30 years. Perhaps we will start seeing more of this in the middle east as the younger generation starts to attempt to flex its muscle. Then maybe we can have some stable democracies that aren't Israel.

It's not a Islamic revolution.

But certainly one of the consequences of greater freedoms could mean the sudden legalization of otherwise banned Islamist political groups. In any democratic elections in which they were permitted to participate, they'd be a force to be reckoned with.

Whatever the end result, the protests in Tunisia and Egypt have been fascinating to watch. The Egyptian government has attempted to remove all internet access and cell phone networks in order to prevent the spread of the protests. BBC News and Al-Jazeera television both have a strong presence in-country however, and seem to be doing a fine job of at least bringing the news to the rest of the world. There's so much going on it's hard to keep up. The following link is an interesting breakdown of the Egyptian government's attempts to shut its citizens off from each other and the rest of the world...

What Happens When 80 Million Egyptians Disappear?

It's not a Islamic revolution.

At this point you are correct, but as Getslow pointed out anything is possible. With all the turmoil a dedicated group of Islamic extremists could take advantage of the situation and put theirselves into power. Many radicals in history have come to power in similiar situations.

Let's hope that democracy wins and the extremists lose.

It's pretty bad when the goverment tells you they will not/ or can not protect the people and to do what they can to protect themselves. Hearing looting is going on, even at the museums, the army is just sitting there doing nothing, but the army is well respected by the people, not so much with the police.

One of the big distinctions between this revolt and Iran's was that Iran's was almost wholly aimed in one direction. Khomenei was on the outside directing and encouraging the ouster of the Shah and was able to assume power once the government finally fell. Khomenei's government had been what the people were fighting for all along. Egypt's uprising, on the other hand, is being fueled largely by malaise among the youth and sheer hatred of Mubarak. There isn't a clear leader to assume power if Mubarak is successfully ousted despite several leaders attempting to harness the rage. So, even if the government folds I think there will be a messy negotiating period before something is presented compelling enough to turn the rage into cheers, so to speak. I don't think that will be an Islamist government if it happens, either. So far the Muslim Brotherhood has been out of the fray, for the most part, but even when they do join in I don't think they have the power to take over and lead, nor will those currently rebelling lend them their support to take over the government.

Assuming there is a representative government put in place with Islamist groups allowed to participate, I think their influence will be far less than what some people fear. There's evidence that extremist groups either do not participate in democratic governments or otherwise moderate in order to gain influence.

Sitaution continues to deteriorate. Can't see a scenario where Mubarak stays in power.

Considering where the momentum appears to be headed I think the favorite to be the next leader of Egypt has to be ElBaradei. I don't think Mubarak's chain of succession will be observed if he is indeed ousted.