Egyptian Protests

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is President Obama, but that doesn't stop you from ignoring that fact.

So is it safe to assume we can add President Obama, Morgan Newton, and Joker Phillips to the list?

yes we can add them to the list of jokes, I am so glad you finally see it my way. I was getting worried about you.

Mubarak has announced he won't run in the upcoming elections. Apparently it's not enough. I'm not "up" on Egyptian politics...but is there really anyone that could "calm the storm" so to speak, until the elections occur?

ElBaradei.

Is he viable for a long-term role? What will his effect on Egyptian foreign relations be? How is he regarded politically amongst Egypt's allies? I know he's a Nobel winner, but not much else.

He's generally considered a moderate technocrat. From what I've read of him I imagine Egypt would be likely attempt to be an Arab/Middle East leader and the US's influence in the country would wane, certainly in comparison to Mubarak. I imagine Egypt would welcome warmer relations with Iran, though not hand holding, and would probably be more likely to put more pressure on Israel. ElBaradei has, from appearance, managed to make himself the face of the rebellion, so I think any solution is going to involve him or else the rebellion won't settle. The next big question is how they transition between governments. In other words, if a new type of government is negotiated, the success of the elections and willingness of the leaders to abide by them will be critical in determining the future of Egypt. There's a tendency for fresh governments and leaders to be reluctant to give up power.

These events seem to keep spreading as well. The protests have started in Sudan (which was already in a pretty nasty situation). The president of Yemen has pre-emptively agreed to step down to avoid the protests that were threatening to begin in his own country. One of the writers for Al-Jazeera has compared it to 1989, when protests across Eastern Europe calling for democracy brought down Communist regimes in Germany, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Romania and others. There are of course a lot of dissimilarities but the point is an interesting one.

The Arab World's 1989 Revolution?

Well now there are pro government protesters fighting with the anti government protesters. It was mentioned that the pro gov protesters said they were told/ordered to go out and hold a pro gov rally, not sure if I believe that or if it's some anti gov people trying to start more trouble.

Also, media has been attacked today as well, including Anderson Cooper and his crew, the attacks were said to be by pro gov protesters, not sure I buy all these pro gov protesters and attacks. Sure they are happening, but I think it's extreme anti gov people trying to stir the pot even more.

Well now there are pro government protesters fighting with the anti government protesters. It was mentioned that the pro gov protesters said they were told/ordered to go out and hold a pro gov rally, not sure if I believe that or if it's some anti gov people trying to start more trouble.

Also, media has been attacked today as well, including Anderson Cooper and his crew, the attacks were said to be by pro gov protesters, not sure I buy all these pro gov protesters and attacks. Sure they are happening, but I think it's extreme anti gov people trying to stir the pot even more.

The reports I'm hearing are that these are Mubarak's minions. I think it's a clear indication that his back is against the wall and he's trying last ditch, heavy handed tactics under the guise of "pro-government" citizens. It definitely complicates things.