2011 Boy's Sweet 16 Draw

As stated in the blog, it's the top three teams in each region according to the Litkenhous Ratings. They're not MY picks.

Which is why a lot of people aren't fans of the Litkenhous ratings......

In the 9th, the top 3 should be Dixie, Newcath, Boone/Holmes.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Article on the draw from the Lexington Hearld:

High school basketball fans hoping that a long shot, or at least a dark horse, boys' basketball team makes it to the state championship game will get their wish this year.

Friday's draw for the 94th PNC/KHSAA Sweet Sixteen clustered the power regions — home to the top 14 teams in Dave Cantrall's Rating the State — in the upper bracket. That includes the following:

2nd Region: No. 11 Christian County;

4th Region: No. 8 Warren Central, No. 14 Bowling Green;

7th Region: No. 1 Eastern, No. 2 Ballard, No. 6 Trinity, No. 7 Jeffersontown, No. 8 Moore;

9th Region: No. 11 Newport Central Catholic;

10th Region: No. 3 Clark County;

11th Region: No. 4 Lexington Catholic, No. 5 Tates Creek, No. 10 Scott County; No. 13 Henry Clay.

Last year's draw was similar, with the supposed power regions in the top bracket. Ballard survived a gauntlet of tough competition in the first three rounds, but Shelby Valley beat the Bruins for the championship.

If the region favorites make it to the Sweet Sixteen, the highest-rated teams in the lower bracket would be Central or Pleasure Ridge Park out of the 6th Region, and Ashland Blazer out of the 16th.

Read more: http://www.kentucky.com/2011/01/29/1615114/boys-sweet-sixteen-draw-creates.html#more#ixzz1CQgaVBUH

Here is what the CJ has to say about the drawings:

Boys

Of the top 20 teams in The Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings, 14 play in regions in the top half of the draw.

Possible quarterfinals in the top half could match No.3 Clark County against No. 1 Eastern and No. 13 Christian County vs. No. 5 Lexington Catholic.

"That Friday could be one of the best Fridays we've had in a long time if things shake out the way you think they might," Couch said. "I think they'd be selling a lot of tickets for those Friday afternoon games."

Many believe the Sixth Region champion -- which drew into the bottom half -- could benefit from the top-heavy bracket.

Of the six ranked teams from regions in the bottom half, five are from the Sixth Region -- No. 12 Pleasure Ridge Park, No. 14 Central, No. 16 Bullitt East, No. 17 Western and No. 19 Iroquois.

The other is No. 20 Pulaski County from the 12th Region.

"It seems like if the Sixth Region winner catches fire they could be in good shape going into the state tournament," PRP coach Dale Mabrey said. "It's definitely a year-in-and-year-out affair that you have to have some Lady Luck on your side when that draw comes out."

http://www.highschoolsports.net/local/louisville/article/Sweet-16-draw-appears-top-heavy-for-boys/

This years draw is very similar to last years draw. The bottom half of the bracket is extrememly weak.

Last year, Ballard, Warren Central, Scott Co., Christian Co., and Shelby Co. beat each other up to get to the finals and Shelby Valley had a "cake walk" to the finals. By the time Saturday night came around Ballard was out of gas from playing extremely tough games against, Shelby Co., Warren Central and Scott Co.

I don't like the blind draw either, I would like to see the committee seed the 16 teams (like the NCAA) and give the top two seeds the opportunity to play Saturday night.

This year in the bottom bracket, you could have a couple teams not even in the top 25 in KY make it to the quarterfinals of the Sweet 16.

This years draw is very similar to last years draw. The bottom half of the bracket is extrememly weak.

Last year, Ballard, Warren Central, Scott Co., Christian Co., and Shelby Co. beat each other up to get to the finals and Shelby Valley had a "cake walk" to the finals. By the time Saturday night came around Ballard was out of gas from playing extremely tough games against, Shelby Co., Warren Central and Scott Co.

I don't like the blind draw either, I would like to see the committee seed the 16 teams (like the NCAA) and give the top two seeds the opportunity to play Saturday night.

This year in the bottom bracket, you could have a couple teams not even in the top 25 in KY make it to the quarterfinals of the Sweet 16.

What makes the Sweet 16 so special.

I don't have any problem with the blind draw but I think the fact that they play 2 games on Saturday the way they do is really unfair to the lower bracket teams. Having to play 4 games in under 48 hours is too much for kids to get their best on Saturday night. I would like to see a Sunday finish so that all teams could have a fair chance to bounce back and give their best performances.

I don't have any problem with the blind draw but I think the fact that they play 2 games on Saturday the way they do is really unfair to the lower bracket teams. Having to play 4 games in under 48 hours is too much for kids to get their best on Saturday night. I would like to see a Sunday finish so that all teams could have a fair chance to bounce back and give their best performances.

But you don't mess with history. It's the way it's always been done and it's what makes the Sweet 16 so great.

You could also say it's an advantage to the lower bracket since the upper bracket games could all potentially be dogfights. Like former coach Carl Wendroth said, all it takes is a "Good draw, some good calls, and a good bounce of the ball", or something like that.