NCAA Allows KU To Pay For Funeral

BleedBlue12

From KSR:

I know it may be considered blasphemy to support an NCAA decision around these parts - but I have to say that they got one right this go around. When the NCAA approved for Kansas to pay for the funeral of one of their players mothers they certainly made a controversial decision, but I give the NCAA credit - it was by all means the right one. In the sports world we are privileged to live in 15 minute quarters, twenty minute halves, and thirty second time outs, but every so often things will happen outside of these increments that bring home the reality of it all.

Thomas Robinson, Sophomore Forward for the Kansas Jayhawks, is going through the process of losing his mother only weeks after the passing of both his grandfather and his grandmother. Lisa Robinson was only 37 when she passed away from a heart attack last Friday. In the matter of a month he went from a likely care-free college student to the sole guardian of his 9 year old sister - because there really isn’t anyone left for her to turn to. It’s an awful situation that many of us are fortunate not to have experienced - allowing for compassion was the least the NCAA could do in this case.

The fact of the matter is - by allowing Kansas to provide support for one of their athletes the NCAA is finally putting into place a positive precedent - the human element must be considered. They have been hammered for ridiculous(ly inconsistent) decisions as of late - all made behind the excuse of strict interpretation of the rules and their loopholes. However, by allowing Kansas to pay for expenses dealing with the funeral, they are saying that maybe the rule book doesn’t account for everything, maybe there should be exceptions.

It may be a controversial decision, but it shouldn’t be. It’s common sense.

Noticed some people were disagreeing with the decision, but I don't see how anyone could. NCAA does the right thing, and so does KU. Prayers to Robinson and his little sister...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really impressed at KSR on this one, though obviously Matt Jones didn't write it. I have a feeling he disagrees, but not because he is heartless more because he just wants to stick the NCAA for what he sees as inconsistent rulings from the NCAA. I am shocked that despite the ending of this peace on KSR fans still want to get on there and bash the NCAA for allowing this, though I'm sure UK fans aren't the only ones with idiot fans who will grips about this.

Certainly a nice gesture.

The concept of "precedent" might rear its ugly head though.

Why did the NCAA pay for this funeral vs another kid's?

The NCAA isn't Kansas University is. Although I remember UCLA got in some trouble a few years ago because an assistant coach let a player take his car to his friend or cousins funeral.

The NCAA isn't Kansas University is. Although I remember UCLA got in some trouble a few years ago because an assistant coach let a player take his car to his friend or cousins funeral.

Let me rephrase. Why can Kansas pay for the funeral?

The NCAA got it right, KU got it right. I pray for this college sophomore and his 9 year old sister. As great a burden it must be losing all his immediate family support, imagine how frightening it must be to now be solely responsible for raising a nine year old as a 19 or 20 year old. There was a similar situation that I think was at one of the Texas universities that involved a football player two or three years ago. I should look that up and see how they're doing now.

There's no question it was the humane thing to do. However, now the NCAA has set themselves up.

I'm a college b-baller. My mom is getting ready to be out on the street unless she comes up with rent money. She has my 2-yr-old brother with her as well. Why can't the school pay her rent for a month? 2 months?

My grandmother dies. She raised me. She is raising my 13 yr old brother. Can my school pay for the funeral?

My mom is about to lose her federal aid and she has 3 more kids. Can my school send her money to buy food? Can they send food?

Wasn't there a story just 2 years ago about a player at Clemson who wasn't allowed by the NCAA to have his baby brother live in his dorm when he was the guardian?

There's no question it was the humane thing to do. However, now the NCAA has set themselves up.

I'm a college b-baller. My mom is getting ready to be out on the street unless she comes up with rent money. She has my 2-yr-old brother with her as well. Why can't the school pay her rent for a month? 2 months?

My grandmother dies. She raised me. She is raising my 13 yr old brother. Can my school pay for the funeral?

My mom is about to lose her federal aid and she has 3 more kids. Can my school send her money to buy food? Can they send food?

Wasn't there a story just 2 years ago about a player at Clemson who wasn't allowed by the NCAA to have his baby brother live in his dorm when he was the guardian?

That's the story I remember, but I believe that the situation was appealled and that he was able to have his brother live there afterall.

Nov 2009-Utah football player gets waiver

Then Shaky needed a waiver from the NCAA so he could accept financial contributions from church groups. Normally, athletes cannot accept extra benefits.

"We fully understand that the rules cannot possibly cover every real-life situation," NCAA spokeswoman Stacey Osburn said by e-mail. "If there is a special circumstance, like this case," waivers can be requested. Shaky's is the fourth granted since 2006.

September 2006-Clemson football player

"Once the NCAA became aware of the circumstances, we immediately began working with the Atlantic Coast Conference and Clemson University to address this unique situation," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice-president of membership services. "NCAA extra benefit rules are designed to ensure student athletes do not receive financial or other benefits that are not readily available to all students. If there is a special circumstance, like this case, the institution and conference may seek a waiver. Despite erroneous media reports, the process worked exactly as designed. We believe this solution is in the best interests of all involved."

However, he wound up not having such a great ending to his story, and it wasn't the NCAA who did it.