Coaching Change at Whitley

topgun

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate to see this for Coach Campbell. Do any of you remember what Whitley County football used to be like before he came on board? I do and he has had an excellent run at Whitley. I remember when Billy Jack Jewell took over the program in the early 1980's and he couldn't really get it turned around either. Most teams wanted Whitley on their schedule for a guaranteed win back then and it is safe to say that not many teams have been scheduling them for their homecoming in a long, long time.

The problem is that teams like North and South Laurel have shown marked improvement over the past 4 seasons making reaching the playoffs more difficult. South moved into the #2 spot this season and won a playoff game, North had so many things happen to them with injuries, coaching changes and personal tragedies that their season was impacted and yet they were still in the hunt until Whitley knocked them out. For a while the playoffs were a 3 horse race (Madison, GRC, Whitley) and the others were also rans. Now the district has improved and made it more difficult for Whitley. JCHS was showing great improvement until they left the district, Lincoln really showed improvement this season as well, and Montgomery will get better given time. I don't think that Whitley slipped as much as they had a GREAT team that won the district a few years back, but the other teams have improved.

I just hope that the new coach is ready for some very high expectations. Coach Campbell has done a very good job in his 18 years and should be congratulated for the great job he has done there. He is a class act.

I hate to see this for Coach Campbell. Do any of you remember what Whitley County football used to be like before he came on board? I do and he has had an excellent run at Whitley. I remember when Billy Jack Jewell took over the program in the early 1980's and he couldn't really get it turned around either. Most teams wanted Whitley on their schedule for a guaranteed win back then and it is safe to say that not many teams have been scheduling them for their homecoming in a long, long time.

The problem is that teams like North and South Laurel have shown marked improvement over the past 4 seasons making reaching the playoffs more difficult. South moved into the #2 spot this season and won a playoff game, North had so many things happen to them with injuries, coaching changes and personal tragedies that their season was impacted and yet they were still in the hunt until Whitley knocked them out. For a while the playoffs were a 3 horse race (Madison, GRC, Whitley) and the others were also rans. Now the district has improved and made it more difficult for Whitley. JCHS was showing great improvement until they left the district, Lincoln really showed improvement this season as well, and Montgomery will get better given time. I don't think that Whitley slipped as much as they had a GREAT team that won the district a few years back, but the other teams have improved.

I just hope that the new coach is ready for some very high expectations. Coach Campbell has done a very good job in his 18 years and should be congratulated for the great job he has done there. He is a class act.

Excellant post.....well said.

I am sure that when it becomes official tomorrow there will be many people who will be sad to see him go. I can tell you so many stories of the sacrifice that Mike Campbell has made for his team. I can tell you stories of times that he has bought clothes and shoes for players, so they could go to school in nice things.

Regardless of who gets the job, many in Whitley County will miss him, and Whitley County should count themselves as lucky to have had a coach like Mike Campbell, Honest, hardworking and dedicated.

Excellant post.....well said.

I am sure that when it becomes official tomorrow there will be many people who will be sad to see him go. I can tell you so many stories of the sacrifice that Mike Campbell has made for his team. I can tell you stories of times that he has bought clothes and shoes for players, so they could go to school in nice things.

Regardless of who gets the job, many in Whitley County will miss him, and Whitley County should count themselves as lucky to have had a coach like Mike Campbell, Honest, hardworking and dedicated.

He is one of the coaches from the mountain region I respect a great deal. I know of things he has even done for kids from other schools and that told me a great deal about him as a person. Whereever he ends up, they will be getting one of the good guys.

I believe that it was an executive decision. I have only heard rumors as to why it was made.
That is what supers say to the press, " an executive decision". What is the reason? I know he's a good coach, but it sounds like he is being fired. :flame: