Favorite Christmas Songs

Colonels_Wear_Blue

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all an inclusive list, but the first that come to mind when I think "favorite"?

Religious:

O Holy Night

Silent Night

O Come All Ye Faithful

Secular:

Little Drummer Boy

Christmas Time is Here (from A Charlie Brown Christmas)

You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch

That's actually a religious-themed song.

I was over at my folks for a bit last night, and they already had the Christmas music pumping out of their stereo. They both swear by Johnny Mathis' album Merry Christmas, but I'd rather chew on broken glass than listen to that. What are some of your favorite Christmas songs and/or favorite versions of them?

The Mathis Christmas album is a classic.

Mel Torme's "Christmas Song" is a gold standard.

I could honestly go on for days about this, but I'll keep it simple.

O Holy Night is spectacularly beautiful and, to my mind, nothing even comes close. Here are the three best versions I've ever heard. Warning: only one of them is in English.

It was originally a French tune called "Minuit Chretiens" and the lyrics are very different than the ones we attach to the song now. It's performed here by the world's first musical superstar, Enrico Caruso, in a recording from 1916.

This second one is the one I grew up listening to. My dad's family is Norwegian, but there weren't any world-famous Norwegian singers. Sweden was as close as we got. Jussi Bjorling is my favorite vocalist of all time and this "O Helga Natt" is just remarkable.

If Mario Lanza hadn't died of a pulmonary embolism when he was only 38, he might be known as the greatest tenor of all time. He's certainly the finest tenor these United States have ever produced. I think that his version of the song is magnificent. That final note... I honestly can't put it into words.

So much for keeping it short... sorry...