Enes Kanter appeal

SportsGuy41017

I don't see the optimism. How is UK going to change the mind of the NCAA that Enes is still a amateur athlete, when it's fact he received more money than he was allowed, whether he wanted it or needed it is irrelevant...

I hope Enes gets to play and under the circumstances I think he should, but, I don't think the NCAA will see it that way...

The appeal is not going to be heard by the NCAA. It will be heard by NCAA membership, which is a HUGE difference. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He took it from a pro team, the education came after it was taken. Why didn't they negotiate tutors in to his contract if that's really what they wanted the money for?

To deny that Kanter desired to remain an amateur is either a anti UK view or a uninformed view, not sure what case you fall under, but it's important to understand that Kanter could have made much more money from that team and received over a million dollars for his play on their national team, he did nether...

He took it from a pro team, the education came after it was taken. Why didn't they negotiate tutors in to his contract if that's really what they wanted the money for?

The problem the NCAA has isn't with the money. It's that it was given directly to the family. If the Kanter's knew that the NCAA was going to have an issue with that, it wouldn't have happened like that.

Can't say the same thing for the Selby situation.

You know too much about this stuff..... I am confused:idunno:

The committees are made up of representatives from the membership and general public. The public representative is normally a lawyer with no connection to the NCAA. The membership representatives must have experience at the conference or school level. The QB at Ole Miss (Masoli) was declared ineligible by the NCAA, but the appeals committee reversed their decision. Here's to hoping Kanter's case will play out in a similar fashion.

The problem the NCAA has isn't with the money. It's that it was given directly to the family. If the Kanter's knew that the NCAA was going to have an issue with that, it wouldn't have happened like that.

Can't say the same thing for the Selby situation.

I don't know, it's beyond honest I look at UK with an anti bias, I won't deny that. But everyone here juts seems 100% convinced of the Kanter's intentions here, when at this point it seems obvious they would want to say what's in their best interest, and not necessarily the truth. Of course now they will say that.

I also don't think Selby should have ever played either for the record.

]The committees are made up of representatives from the membership and general public.[/b] The public representative is normally a lawyer with no connection to the NCAA. The membership representatives must have experience at the conference or school level. The QB at Ole Miss (Masoli) was declared ineligible by the NCAA' date=' but the appeals committee reversed their decision. Here's to hoping Kanter's case will play out in a similar fashion.[/quote']

I am the general public, can I get on the committee?

As a coach who has taken numerous teams to NCAA certified events the past several years, I can tell you that it is burnt into each and every players head that taking money or gifts from an agent will make you ineligible for good from the NCAA. At each event the NCAA requires each player and coach to attend the mandatory session on NCAA rules, and the take no money or gifts from agents are said over and over and over! Most show the Dick Vitale/NCAA video, and it is mentioned several times! Selby knew if he took money or gifts he would never play in the NCAA if caught. Seems like he really didn't care, or didn't think he would get caught! Do you honestly think OJ Mayo did not know what he did was against the NCAA regulations? He simply did not care, he knew he was going to the NBA a year after high school anyway.

Now, also being a coach who has worked with FIBA this summer, as well as having coached teams in Europe and knowing A LOT of players there as well, I can tell you that things are done differently over there. Everything there is all about the club teams, it is very common for players to live 100's of miles away from home to play on a club team and go to school, teams paying for things such as housing, meals, transportation, and more, are very common.

Several of these players I know do have tutors, or go to private schools, which they got their club teams to pay for, I can see a parent wanting to choose themselves which school or which tutors will educate their son(s), wouldn't you want to have it be YOUR choice in your kids education? The Kanters care A LOT about their sons having a good education, they now have their younger son enrolled at a private school in the US so he can get a good education, as well as keep him from this same trouble his brother is in now. If it is common for players to have their education paid for, even if you have a lot of money, would you just go ahead and say that you don't want the money because you are rich? Or would you take the money like everyone else?

I agree with those that say the Kanters "Intent" was to keep their son eligible to play college, I can not see that being the case with Selby.

Precisely. Often times, they have a completely different view than the NCAA.

The appellate committee is usually more generous that's for sure. When you deal with school reps that have to live with the situation they are usually more compassionate than those at the main offices. But the flip problem with that is personal bias come in too, so you have to hope no one with an axe to grind against UK or Calipari get's on there.

The appellate committee is usually more generous that's for sure. When you deal with school reps that have to live with the situation they are usually more compassionate than those at the main offices. But the flip problem with that is personal bias come in too, so you have to hope no one with an axe to grind against UK or Calipari get's on there.

Absolutely. I would love to watch the presentation and the deliberation. If it was pay per view, I would pay $100 to watch it.