Park Hills Mafia and Wirth

Spartan79

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose it's going to be a topic that someone drudges back up from time to time, and given the fact that Cov Cath just lost in the playoffs, it's not surprising that the discussion of Coach Brossart takes place now. I'll readily admit that he, for one reason or another, was not supported as well as Coach Wirth has been. Could Cov Cath have given Brossart another year to try to improve? Yes. Did they? No. That's fact.

Still, to speculate that the obvious difference in the Brossart point spreads and Wirth point spreads in the Highlands/Cov Cath games is because the Wirth coaching staff has "a little support" is ludicrous. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're trying to allege that Cov Cath has gone from fielding a team that lost by as much as 40 points and 61 points to Highlands, and then in two years reduced that to a 7 point loss in a game that came down to the last play, and that's all because the coaching staff has "a little support" from the Cov Cath community?

If you are hanging your hat on one game against a team that is clearly not as talented as it has been the last 3 years, that was 20-0 after one quarter and was one play away from being another blowout, then you go and enjoy it!!!!

When the atmosphere in and around a program is cancerous because of parents and alumni, you shouldn't be surprised how that affects the psyche of teenage boys. A lot of factors were involved and you underestimate the power of positive reinforcement vs. negative reinforcement.

Don't know much about Coach Wirth but as a Bluebird fan I have regain my respect of the Colonels program this year .It would be a huge mistake if the Cov Cath Front office changed directions again.Just curious,where did he coach prior to the Colonels and how was his success back then if any?

:thumb: I think this is an accurate description of the Colonels' 2010 season.

I am not sure what the Park Hills Mafia is, but I am pretty sure it is not meant as a compliment. So I say embrace and roll with it. Since it is imaginary, I figure why not come in big. To that end I have appointed myself Don. Colonels Wear Blue has offered his services as Consigliere. I nominate CovCathiradio to join as either Sonny or Luca Brasi. The Old Guy can be Tessio (Godfather I Tessio, not Godfather II Tessio).

I have not heard anything, even a whisper, about wanting to replace Coach Wirth...or is it Wuirth?? IMO, most Colonel fans recognize changing head coaches 3 times in 4 years has taken its toll on the program. On the positive side, the pot stirrers (outside agitators...probably from the Barzini or Tatalia Families) will soon turn the page on the Coach Weuirth whisper campaign in favor of starting rumors on Coach Listermen.

Actually this is a slap in the face to the "Mafia".

When the atmosphere in and around a program is cancerous because of parents and alumni, you shouldn't be surprised how that affects the psyche of teenage boys. A lot of factors were involved and you underestimate the power of positive reinforcement vs. negative reinforcement.

Don't kid yourself. There are plenty of boys hearing negatives about this staff as well. There were boys who heard negatives about Coach Ray. Nothing new or particular to CCH. Ask Coach Stellman.

If you are hanging your hat on one game against a team that is clearly not as talented as it has been the last 3 years, that was 20-0 after one quarter and was one play away from being another blowout, then you go and enjoy it!!!!

Well...I'm not hanging my hat on one game. You were the one who asked the question: "How many years will falling to Highlands be tolerated?". That is why I was using the scores of Highlands games as reference points. I would also say that, most of the time, I could care less what the score is after one quarter. What matters is the score after four quarters - and if you don't believe that, ask anybody who was at the '97 mud bowl. Also, I think serious comebacks show that the players actually have more poise and maturity than anything else. It isn't easy to look at a twenty point first quarter deficit and then keep charging at the other team each play, so kudos to the team this year.

Furthermore, I heard plenty of knocks on Coach Ray from players, parents and alumni being old, past his prime, and out of touch in his last 10 years as head coach. I think, specifically, back to a 6 year string of losses against 1A Beechwood; those didn't reflect very well on the Lynn Ray coaching staff, and I remember more than a few parents and alumni who were calling for some major changes by the time loss #4 came around (I might add, that also took place in '97, as they were on the road to their 5th state title). So as far as "cancerous" parents and alumni go...you think what you'd like.

I'll tell you one thing that I would call more cancerous than any words from parents and alumni - a defeatist "victimized" attitude.

Don't kid yourself. There are plenty of boys hearing negatives about this staff as well. There were boys who heard negatives about Coach Ray. Nothing new or particular to CCH. Ask Coach Stellman.

Of course, it happens at every school with every coach; it is the EXTENT to which it happens that matters.

I know CCH won a title in 2006, but the program has about a .500 record since 1997. I believe that time period coincides with Holy Cross starting their football program. I don't think there is any doubt that Holy Cross football has impacted CCH. Assuming that is correct, should CCH gear things down a notch? Should they be playing GCL schools as a 4A school? Are the expectations too high for CCH and Coach Wirth considering the loss of talent to Holy cross?

Well...I'm not hanging my hat on one game. You were the one who asked the question: "How many years will falling to Highlands be tolerated?". That is why I was using the scores of Highlands games as reference points. I would also say that, most of the time, I could care less what the score is after one quarter. What matters is the score after four quarters - and if you don't believe that, ask anybody who was at the '97 mud bowl. Also, I think serious comebacks show that the players actually have more poise and maturity than anything else. It isn't easy to look at a twenty point first quarter deficit and then keep charging at the other team each play, so kudos to the team this year.

Furthermore, I heard plenty of knocks on Coach Ray from players, parents and alumni being old, past his prime, and out of touch in his last 10 years as head coach. I think, specifically, back to a 6 year string of losses against 1A Beechwood; those didn't reflect very well on the Lynn Ray coaching staff, and I remember more than a few parents and alumni who were calling for some major changes by the time loss #4 came around (I might add, that also took place in '97, as they were on the road to their 5th state title). So as far as "cancerous" parents and alumni go...you think what you'd like.

I'll tell you one thing that I would call more cancerous than any words from parents and alumni - a defeatist "victimized" attitude.

Of course this year's team deserves credit for hanging in and making it a game, but if you really think you are 1 TD away from being on par with the Highlands program, good luck.

I also agree attitude is very important in dealing with a problem such as this, but it doesn't negate the fact that lies, manipulations, and distortions were a GINORMOUS problem!

I know CCH won a title in 2006, but the program has about a .500 record since 1997. I believe that time period coincides with Holy Cross starting their football program. I don't think there is any doubt that Holy Cross football has impacted CCH. Assuming that is correct, should CCH gear things down a notch? Should they be playing GCL schools as a 4A school? Are the expectations too high for CCH and Coach Wirth considering the loss of talent to Holy cross?

Interesting point!

Who went to Holy Cross that would have gone to Cov Cath? Most of the "stars" down at Holy Cross weren't candidates for Cov Cath. IMO Cov Cath has the athletes, it just is not translating to wins on the field.

Who went to Holy Cross that would have gone to Cov Cath? Most of the "stars" down at Holy Cross weren't candidates for Cov Cath. IMO Cov Cath has the athletes, it just is not translating to wins on the field.

The last 4 CCH teams have had no where near the talent of the '06 team.

Plus, the schedule is silly; playing Mooney, Elder, Lasalle, and Louis. X, who all crushed CCH the last 4 searsons, are not what CCH needs right now.

Don't misconstrue this as me trying to call foul or anything, but there have been a handful of folks I've known to have been in Cov Cath's feeder school district who have opted instead for Holy Cross. The Krallman brothers, for example. However, I think in a lot of cases, it's just an added deciding factor for kids who were already on the fence.

The last 4 CCH teams have had no where near the talent of the '06 team.

Plus, the schedule is silly; playing Mooney, Elder, Lasalle, and Louis. X, who all crushed CCH the last 4 searsons, are not what CCH needs right now.

Agreed. I've argued that before (LINK), and I'd still argue that of most programs in NKY, or in the entire state, for that matter.

I think right now, Cov Cath's program is in a place where it needs to focus on the competition that they have to beat in order to win state in their state. If they want to put in one GCL team each year...I can handle that, but any more than that is ridiculous in my opinion. The good news is, at this point Cov Cath only has one game left to fill in to their schedule for 2011, and thus far the only interstate commitment is to play LaSalle.