A Great Investing Decision

Clyde

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for all you guru's.

I am a teacher here in Ky., but I want to start investing, what do I need to do? Anyone here actually do it for a job?

So many different variables with a question like this. What is you goal? Long term planning for retirement? First thing I would suggest is get in a 401K with your employer if they do that.

I currently invest in over 50 different stocks. Anywhere from Industrials, Financial Services, Energy, Technology, Utilities, Mutual Funds, and Consumer Staples. I look at my portfolio as whole and not invest in one certain aera to make or lose a quick buck. Over the past 10 or so years, I am very please at where I am at. Couple are way down, some are way up, and some are at the same. Overall I have been showing a nice % increase and planning on retirement soon.

I have a 401K from a previous job that I was laid off from. It does not have a lot of value to it, but I am thinking about going to a financial planner/advisor in the near future. Any particular people or firms that anyone would recommend in the Northern Kentucky area or fairly close to it?

I currently invest in over 50 different stocks. Anywhere from Industrials, Financial Services, Energy, Technology, Utilities, Mutual Funds, and Consumer Staples. I look at my portfolio as whole and not invest in one certain aera to make or lose a quick buck. Over the past 10 or so years, I am very please at where I am at. Couple are way down, some are way up, and some are at the same. Overall I have been showing a nice % increase and planning on retirement soon.

If retirement is in the near future then there is no need to keep yourself in the stock market. If you have gained enough to retire then you should no longer expose yourself to all that unnecessary risk. Switch to safer securites like high grade bonds or government securities. I don't know your situation at all but just some basic advice.

I know the miniscule returns on bonds these days keep people geared more for stocks but when the risk is not needed lower yields aren't that bad.

If retirement is in the near future then there is no need to keep yourself in the stock market. If you have gained enough to retire then you should no longer expose yourself to all that unnecessary risk. Switch to safer securites like high grade bonds or government securities. I don't know your situation at all but just some basic advice.

I know the miniscule returns on bonds these days keep people geared more for stocks but when the risk is not needed lower yields aren't that bad.

I currently am not where I would like to begin retirement. I'm only 46 and my last kid is out of college in 3 years. After that I might start looking at retirement. I'm also invested in real estate as I own rental properties. Even with the rotten year of 2008, I still have shown a pretty good average yearly increase on my investments.

I currently am not where I would like to begin retirement. I'm only 46 and my last kid is out of college in 3 years. After that I might start looking at retirement. I'm also invested in real estate as I own rental properties. Even with the rotten year of 2008, I still have shown a pretty good average yearly increase on my investments.

Yes the stock market has been great recently. Unfortunately I am just a mere college student. Hoping to land a decent job in the next few months though. There are so many opportunites that I see out there that would be amazing investments.

When you said you were near retirement I thought you mean a year or so away haha. Taking into consideration the new information, I would definitely not tell you to take your money out of the stock market. Maybe get out of some riskier positions if you are in any. But you could be a fairly risk adverse person anyway.

I graduate from NKU with a degree in finance in May, as you can tell I am eager to start working haha. I am very excited to start my Finance career. My job right now I do not get to do any of that. I get to see investments but I am not on the decision making side.

^ Think about all the people who moved their money into something else after that. Most of them didn't recoup much of their losses.

So true Hammer. The way I have always looked at it was, you did not lose anything until you sold. I hung on and kept everything, If anything I have invested more money after the 2008 fall, and today I have made all what was down plus some.

So true Hammer. The way I have always looked at it was, you did not lose anything until you sold. I hung on and kept everything, If anything I have invested more money after the 2008 fall, and today I have made all what was down plus some.

I'm moved all my money in my 401K to one bank stock that took a monster hit during that time and more than tripled what I had on the rebound. Granted mine is young and has a lot less risk than others. I'm only 24. That's not a bad thought process.