A Great Investing Decision

Clyde

The Facebook IPO is going to be a mess for the average Joe. We don't have the resources to get pricing like the big boys. I think it might be worth it to get in and hold for a while. A company that makes 90% of it's profits from ads worries me a little bit. Some are saying IPO of around $30. It would be a miracle if you got it for under 40 IMO depeding on the price of course of course. What I am saying is it's going to be hard to get a good price out of the gate. It's going to be extremely volatile.

I am hearing an IPO of $27. But when this opens on the market I would think it is going to jump in around $80 to $100 and go up a little bit before coming back down for a week or two. Just a guess obviously. How great would it be to get in on the IPO price though.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A pretty good article about the Facebook IPO:

http://heritageprivatewealth.com/images/facebook%20ipo%202%208%2012.pdf

Good article...

This is what I mean about not happening...

All in all, these numbers look pretty good, right? Sure they do, to institutional investors. Keep in mind that the little guy gets there second. It is the institutional investor - not the small investor - who gets first dibs on the stock and who frequently realizes the terrific upside. The individual investors get to get in after the shares take off; sometimes they pay a price.

What online stock broker does everyone use? What do you think of them?

I'm probably going to transfer my account away from optionshouse soon, simply because they do not purchase fractional shares with a dividend reinvestment plan.

Just wanted to hear what other people were using.

http://www.kiplinger.com/magazine/archives/the-best-of-the-online-brokers-for-2011.html

• 2 weeks later...
^ You said you never check. :D I knew I should have grabbed some at $400.

Hard not to with AAPL being in the news all the time. I'm up about $44k in AAPL in about the last 20 months. Motley Fool still calls AAPL a "buy."

My recent strong buy is NOV - up 48% since I purchased 300 shares in September.

^ Amazing. Sounds like you have a knack for it. When does Clyde's investment service open up. :D I need some tips. Was NOV a fool pick as well?

As I said, I subscribe to a service through Motley Fool. I ignore about 90% of the recommendations but I do pay attention. I trust the service and then use some , hopefully, sound judgement. I have zero time nor interest in studying bunches of stocks.

NOV was a pick from MF. I actually read the report late so I missed out on more growth. Here's a synopsis :

National Oilwell Varco (NOV)

National Oilwell Varco is the largest equipment maker and distributor to the energy industry. It sells and services just about any and every product for oil and natural gas drilling — complex deepwater drilling rigs, small spare parts, and everything in between. Workers in the field say there’s “No Other Vendor.”

Many analysts see AAPL as a $600+ stock. It was at 389 in early December. If the 600+ number is true, there is still a 20% upside left.

The market in general is just kicking butt. It is hard to find any dogs in this market and the stocks that are up 20% over the past 6 months are plentiful. Of course, the question as always - will they be up 20% more from here? The volatility in the market over the past year has been high.