A Great Investing Decision

Clyde

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just don't like monitoring it or what?

I like to have something on the side to play with other than long term trades.

I like to invest in good companies vs good opportunities which can be different.

Too many variables can affect a short-term (ie weeks) opportunity.

Plus, I do NOT like to monitor investments very often.

^ I think Monitoring them is the most fun thing about it. I will check back in with you in 3 weeks with my 10% gain. :D I got it at 2.58.

I hope it works out for you. We all have our styles. I can go well over a month and never think about checking my accounts. I do subscribe to a service that sends me updates on their thoughts. I'll read those to see if anything catches my attention.

I subscribe to them. It's been a good resource.

I get the emails, but don't pay for the info. What was the company they were touting last week b/c of smart phones?

I don't have many individual stocks, but I have some disposable cash and I'm jumping in really soon. What kind of money would you say I would need to be willing to invest per year to subscribe to something like that?

I get the emails, but don't pay for the info. What was the company they were touting last week b/c of smart phones?

I don't have many individual stocks, but I have some disposable cash and I'm jumping in really soon. What kind of money would you say I would need to be willing to invest per year to subscribe to something like that?

They have different services. I subscribe to one called "Stock Advisor" which I'm guessing is about $200 per year. Each month the two brothers give a few of their favorite picks plus give you updates on their past recommendations. I have had a lot of success with it. It doesn't take much of a return to get your $200 back plus it's educational.

Question for anybody in this thread:

I am a 20 year old college student with $5,000 to potentially invest. Who should I go talk to or where should I go to get the best advice on what to do with it?

I can't stand money just sitting in the bank not working to build upon itself.

Question for anybody in this thread:

I am a 20 year old college student with $5,000 to potentially invest. Who should I go talk to or where should I go to get the best advice on what to do with it?

I can't stand money just sitting in the bank not working to build upon itself.

The first question you have to answer is when will you need to dip into it? 1 year? 5 years?

As far as whom to talk to you have a couple of options: 1. Someone you know (ie someone's dad who is in the business) and 2. more important than #1 is to educate yourself . Never take any one person's advice. I had a great advisor for a while but he also had many, many accounts so his attention was elsewhere (understandably ) and I wasn't a focus. I ended up just using him to placed the trades I came up with using other resources which meant I was not really gaining value from him.