Ky State Playoffs, How important is Home field Advantage ?

Hey Head, I think it is a tremendous advantage, especially for some these teams that have to travel across the state, they would have to leave their area after school or even earlier, then they will probably be tired from the bus lag and then they won't have even close of the following. I guess its important to win the games you need to during the season. (GLBT)

HD,

It depends.

Not so much on the trip but the playing surface IMO. I don't think it is any big deal if say LexCath has to come to Highlands because turf is turf. However, if turf team like CovCath would have to go play on a field like Dixie's after a rain it could be significant.

I think once the weather turns a little cooler the fans aren't as loud and the surface is more the home field advantage.

There are some cases where homefield can be significant. By having it your team can avoid a long road trip. For games between schools in a large metropolitan area like Louisville, homefield means little. Under special circumstances it can be important because the home team has the option of selecting a different venue with more favorable field conditions for their style of play. For example, a team with a lot of speed and homefield advantage might decide to play on an artificial surface if their own field is soggy and slippery.

Every game in the climb to a championship, gets tougher and tougher. Home field is great early on but as competition increases, home field means less and less.

Going from grass to artifical surfaces, would be an advantage to a team who has played on one or the other all year.

Newport has practiced on turf through the summer, played on turf, played on some nice grass fields, and played on thier own field which is pretty much just dirt. I think they have an advantage playing on their field since they practice on it everyday and they know the land and at Newport Stadium you must know the land becuase in some places it is bad.

In 4A Western Kentucky, it's pretty important because of the distance factor. Tonight Central is playing a team that has to travel 2 1/2 hours to get here. Should we win, it will next be a team that has to travel anywhere from just over an hour to 2 hours. It can make a difference.

On a somewhat related note. Would there be an advantage or disadvantage to holding playoff games at a predestined site like they do for other sports such as basketball, baseball & softball. Having that site rotate every year to allow each school to be able to host games. I know it would may take away that home field comfort feel but it may make for larger crowds to attend games, at least when at some of the larger stadiums. Has this every been considered before, is it even worth a discussion?