Best running backs in EKY last 20 years!

Ummm... Clark Co 1991. THE BEST BACKFIELD EVER

Sorry, have to disagree :argue:

1990 Ashland Tomcats wishbone of:

FB - Charlie Johnson

HB - Chris Hutt

HB - Juan Thomas

QB - David Brown

they set the NATIONAL RECORD for Rushing yardage :jump:

Who can top that?

They had as dominating an exhibition of power in the finals as anyone I believe - and that was during Boones "whats a pass?" years with S. Alexander :rolleyes:

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite frankly, because Jarrod was slow and was only successful because of the system. He was a solid high school back but to be in my top 5 would mean I would want the ball in his hands more than the hands of these other guys and that just isn't happening.

He should be on my list though. I'm sorry I left him off.

Not trying to argue at all but SLOW?

did you get to see him play much.

if not i will try to get some video to you.

Why wear one back out no matter how good he was when you have other backs that can get you positive yardage. Yes i agree the sytem and the team made him 2nd place for Mr. Football but that doesn't take anything away from his ability.

Joe Melton- Lynn Camp

Wayne Sevier- Lynn Camp

Jeff Root-Lynn Camp

Matt Bargo was another good back from Corbin Zach Prewitt also. Better than Cook I would like to think so. And Durell White had a good year, not career. He hit the area at a down time. Stick him on the 97' 98' m-boro team, and at his peak he would be a back up. He is doing well at Kentucky but who would'nt. Not a Bowl contender you know.

I saw Lawson play one quater of a game he rushed for 125 yards on 6 carries and he was sat down the rest of the game, think of the stats he would have if the coaches did not let up on weaker teams. And his senior year that happened alot. He also shared carries with the hoover kid.

He didn't share alot of Carries with Hoover that was only in Jarrod's sophomore year. Then his Jr. year he had justin moore, dempsy ballou, and travis prewitt to share the deed with. The last two may have been small but very hard nosed runners. Then his Senior year was the same story.

Why wear him out when you got other kids that can give you good yardage.

I saw Lawson play one quater of a game he rushed for 125 yards on 6 carries and he was sat down the rest of the game, think of the stats he would have if the coaches did not let up on weaker teams. And his senior year that happened alot. He also shared carries with the hoover kid.

You can use that argument for any of the backs listed in this thread. For example, do you think Jon Chapman played a lot of 3rd and 4th quarters during his career? On the flipside, what if Corbin had played teams like the '02 Breathitt squad more often than not, instead of weaker teams? I know if Breathitt had played too many teams like Boyle County and Fort Knox in '96, Chapman's career numbers wouldn't have been quite as good.

I love this thread. Here goes my list:

Ashland:

Juan Thomas

Chris Hutt

Charlie Johnson

Ryan Blake

Marc Washington

Jason Nichols

Jack Smith

Arliss Beach

Boyd County

David Caldwell

Zach Fugeman

Jake Hughes

East Carter

Darren Fite

Fairview

Nathan Holbrook

Chris Jennings

Glenn Reliford

Stephen Crisp

Greenup County

Brandon Gable

Johnson Central

Scott Salyers

Ron Blume

Mike Bowling

Lawrence County

Mike West

Lee Abshire

Nick Meadows

Raceland

James Boggs

J.B. Newman

Mike Stewart

Russell

Josh Gross

Jeff Frasure

Robert Brown

Drew Ramey (QB)

Doug Oborne

West Carter

Thomas Flannery

Good List I would add:

Lawrence County -

Fred Dean

Tater McKenzie

Eric Cantrell

Webb Roberts

James Storts

Raceland -

Michael Sammons

Prestonburg-

Hyden

Garza

Brent Coleman-Pikeville

Doug Howard-Belfry

Shawn Robbins-Bell County

David Kelley-Middlesboro

David Jones-Belfry

Mike West-Lawerence County

Arliss Beach-Ashland (possibly eastern Kentucky)

Scott Powell-Middlesboro

Scott Russell-Evarts

Durrell White-Middlesboro

Jon Chapman-Breathitt County

Quinton Henson-Lynn Camp

Eric Witherspoon-Middlesboro

Stephen Cook-Corbin

Since this is merely a matter of opinion, your favorites are as good as anyone else, so I won't challenge your (or anyone else's) picks.

That said, I would have to ask you where you think Ashland is located? If Ashland isn't Eastern Kentucky, then Middlesboro, Corbin, and Evarts must be in California.

Frances