Best running backs in EKY last 20 years!

Henson was a great runner but he was not the best by any means. His numbers look so good because he literally got the ball 40+ times a game. There were many times I saw him play when he wasn't even the best back on the field. For instance, against Middlesboro in 1998, Henson junior year, he was a non-factor.

Everyone on here is forgetting what great backs that Middlesboro has had in the past 10 to 15 years. Eric Witherspoon in the early 90s was a specimen, just under used. Didn't make near the grades even though he was getting hounded by college coaches.

Here are some backs that come to mind when I think of EKY football.

Brent Coleman-Pikeville

Doug Howard-Belfry

Shawn Robbins-Bell County

David Kelley-Middlesboro

David Jones-Belfry

Mike West-Lawerence County

Arliss Beach-Ashland (possibly eastern Kentucky)

Scott Powell-Middlesboro

Scott Russell-Evarts

Durrell White-Middlesboro

Jon Chapman-Breathitt County

Quinton Henson-Lynn Camp

Eric Witherspoon-Middlesboro

Stephen Cook-Corbin

My top 5 are in bold. However, I feel very strongly that Stephen Cook and Scott Powell both would have been in the top 5 had they not had such serious injuries.

13th Great List:thumb:

But how In the world could you forget Todd Asher??? IMO he was the best we've had In the last 20 years.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somerset has been bounced in and out of the Eastern Kentucky region the last 20 years or so. So I haven't seen all of these players so I'll just go with Somerset's best when they were in the district with Corbin and Middlesboro. Eric Jones is Somerset's all-time leading rusher and led the Jumpers to 3 straight regional titles from 87-89 the mountain region. He also leads in TD's and total yards. Just ask Corbin and Middlesboro how good he was.

I just Have to put him out here by him self.

Lynn Camp's QUENTON HENSON Ranked 5th in the state all time Career Rusher. With no 400 yard games or 3000 yard seasons he was consistent. 1st team all-state running back two years in a row. (but did not make the Kentucky all-star team!! How does that happen???????????

Q. Henson IMO one of the best running backs to play in the state of Ky. ever. He more than anyone brought Lynn Camp football to the level they enjoy today. Why was he not on the all-star team? IMO two reasons 1. most all-star coaches use their buddies as assistants, and if push comes to shove their buddies players on the team if they can at all. 2. Quention's over the top, out of control attitude at times, turned off the Lex. Cat. coach, he was in charge of the team that year, there was no better player at his position that year in the state. Q. could be playing on Sunday these days if his attitude had been better, wonder where he is now?

Henson carried the ball as many times as they could give it to him. He just wasn't that impressive to me at all and you could never convince me that he was legitametely looked at by those big schools. He was more like a Cumberland or Georgetown type player.

Are you kidding with those stats?? 1013 yards in 96 and another back with 357 in 97?? Those are the weakest argument for balance that I have ever heard.

Not too mention, I said when we played him in 1998, he was a non-factor. And that was his junior season. What does Lynn Camp being up at halftime the year before have to do with anything? If you want to be accurate, at least talk about the same year I'm talking about.

NONFACTOR!!!!! you have got to be kidding! there was never a game Quention Henson was not some kind of factor, from his freshman year on, he played with several good backs his four years, Joe Melton, Nick Jackson, Jeff Johnson, Will Hollin, Shane Strunk, Nick Valentine, and others, sounds like he must have ran over you and you still feel it, Sjnce when is 1013 yards in a season not good stats? :fight: :fight: He had the body and ability to play at a D1 school maybe not the attitude.

• 4 weeks later...