Highlands/Beechwood Predictions

jbwill2

Highlands vs. Beechwood... Who wins?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. Highlands vs. Beechwood... Who wins?

Just another sign of the kids drinking the blue kool-aid!! It seems that every year there are kids that play outta their favorite position for the betterment of HHS football. This is one of the many secrets Dale has up on the other coaches in NKY. The ability to teach these kids the "we before me" attitude. Now don't get me wrong, before a bunch of people get irked, other coaches are able and do a good job, but you can watch on a regular basis, kids that play outta position, especially on defense. LB's that should be playing DL, Safeties that should be LB's and so on. This is because of the results. Coach Mueller can move these kids around because they trust and believe in him.

Before you fall all over yourself in the love of Mueller, maybe someone can expalin why he didn't have any state championship winning experience in Ohio at Sycamore and Withrow. Is it because Ohio football is better? The kids just didn't buy into the "we vs. me" stuff, the junior program isn't as good? What is it ? Dale is the best coach in Northern Kentucky and is in the perfect spot at his alma mater, but he wasn't as successful across the pond. That is a fact. If he went back to Ohio would he be better now?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before you fall all over yourself in the love of Mueller, maybe someone can expalin why he didn't have any state championship winning experience in Ohio at Sycamore and Withrow. Is it because Ohio football is better? The kids just didn't buy into the "we vs. me" stuff, the junior program isn't as good? What is it ? Dale is the best coach in Northern Kentucky and is in the perfect spot at his alma mater, but he wasn't as successful across the pond. That is a fact. If he went back to Ohio would he be better now?

Probably better to start your own thread on this topic than have it in the Beechwood/Highlands prediction thread.

I won't wade into the differences between the three schools, but I'll ask you a question History:

Are you better at your job today than you were 20 years ago?

I won't wade into the differences between the three schools, but I'll ask you a question History:

Are you better at your job today than you were 20 years ago?

Sure, but that is overly simplistic, and you know it.

Is Roy Lucas, Jr. a better coach now than he was long ago? The record at Lloyd sure doesn't demonstrate that?

Maybe you can explain why Bill Belichick didn't win a championship title coaching the Browns, or why Bob Knight didn't win a championship title coaching Army, or why John Wooden didn't win a championship title coaching Dayton High School. These guys didn't bring home the hardware while coaching at those places. I suppose people shouldn't fall all over themselves touting the coaching successes of guys like Wooden! :ohbrother:

Success at coaching is like success at any job... it requires the right combination of person and place. Perhaps Coach Mueller has been able to successfully apply things he learned during his previous coaching jobs to the Highlands coaching job, or perhaps he has been more passionate and effective coaching at Highlands because it's his alma mater. Who knows?

I suspect there are very few (if any) current prep football coaches in Ohio who are more effective than Coach Mueller... I seem to recall Coach Mueller winning a national coach of the year award at the US Army All-American Bowl this past January... his coaching abilities must have caught some important people's attention, wouldn't you say?!

Edited by jbwill2

Maybe you can explain why Bill Belichick didn't win a championship title coaching the Browns, or why Bob Knight didn't win a championship title coaching Army, or why John Wooden didn't win a championship title coaching Dayton High School. These guys didn't bring home the hardware while coaching at those places. I suppose people shouldn't fall all over themselves touting the coaching successes of guys like Wooden! :ohbrother:

Success at coaching is like success at any job... it requires the right combination of person and place. Perhaps Coach Mueller has been able to successfully apply things he learned during his previous coaching jobs to the Highlands coaching job, or perhaps he has been more passionate and effective coaching at Highlands because it's his alma mater. Who knows?

I suspect there are very few (if any) current prep football coaches in Ohio who are more effective than Coach Mueller... I seem to recall Coach Mueller winning a national coach of the year award at the US Army All-American Bowl this past January... his coaching abilities must have caught some important people's attention, wouldn't you say?!

Very defensive today. :eyeonyou: Had already said Mueller was the best coach in Northern Kentucky, but alas that was lost. I think you are right about the combination of things, but then doesn't that lead more credence to the fact that the players are the ones that win the games?

As far as coach of the year awards go, I don't put much stock into that. Marvin Lewis was the NFL coach of the year last year, and he has never won a playoff game.

Those programs were in shambles when he took over. I remember Dale telling a story of when he took over at Withrow, on one of his first days on the job he opened the door to the equipment room and a bunch of rats ran out. I don't have the numbers of his teams but I know that his teams did very well. What facts do you have that he wasnt successful? And of course Ohio football is better than Kentucky football as a whole, everyone on this website will tell you that. Although I dont believe that a public school the size of Highlands would be able to compete with them from Ohio.

My next point I had a conversation about the other day. I believe that Dale gets better at coaching. The way he gave the go ahead to change the type of defense in 2002, and now many high schools have gone to similar defenses. Another conversation that many of bluegrass prepers is the two platoon system. Dale has a unique ability to adjust to the current style of play. Some coaches coach in the current time and they are good for a certain period of time but Dale can adjust and continues to win.

Very defensive today. :eyeonyou: Had already said Mueller was the best coach in Northern Kentucky, but alas that was lost. I think you are right about the combination of things, but then doesn't that lead more credence to the fact that the players are the ones that win the games?

As far as coach of the year awards go, I don't put much stock into that. Marvin Lewis was the NFL coach of the year last year, and he has never won a playoff game.

Well, if what you say about the players (and not the coaches) winning the games is true, then why did you even bring up your question about Coach Mueller in the first place? If it's all about the players, then questions about coaching are irrelevant, aren't they?

I'm still waiting for a response about why Wooden didn't win any kind of titles at Dayton, BTW! :D

Marvin Lewis won the award against 31 other coaches, dale won it against thousand 16,047. Players obviously have a great deal with winning , but players development are extremely important and there have been quotes from other nky coaches on how dales can get the most out of players. I am a firm believer that coaches are the most important part of the high school game. The best athletes dont just end up at the same schools every year, they are developed. Dale also is one that gives credit to the players.

Well, if what you say about the players (and not the coaches) winning the games is true, then why did you even bring up your question about Coach Mueller in the first place? If it's all about the players, then questions about coaching are irrelevant, aren't they?

I'm still waiting for a response about why Wooden didn't win any kind of titles at Dayton, BTW! :D

Didn't have Alcindor, Wilkes, Walton and others at Dayton.

Didn't have Alcindor, Wilkes, Walton and others at Dayton.

I was hoping you would respond this way. Take a look at your initial post on this subject... you asked if Coach Mueller's lack of titles in Ohio was evidence of Ohio football being better (than KY's). Judging from some of your other posts, it seems clear you believe this to be the case. So, going by this logic, I guess Wooden's lack of titles in KY prep basketball is evidence that KY prep basketball is better than NCAA basketball, since Wooden had no problems racking up NCAA titles, just as Mueller has had no problems winning KY football titles.

Then, I guess it's fair to say that Mueller is to KY prep football what Wooden was to NCAA basketball. I'll take that.