Joker names Hartline the starter

FormerCawoodTrojan

I just wish Hartline wasn't so conservative. I like QB's who aren't afraid to try to make plays to help their team. IMO Hartline isn't a leader (usually the QB is) but I don't see UK having a leadership quality QB on the roster right now anyway. Hopefully UK can get a good passing game going this year to help them in the future in terms of recruiting.

Joker heap praise on Moss for being a great leader in the huddle.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nah, just messing with him a little over his infatuation with Miami football.

Being a fan? Forgive me for talking about my team, this is a sports board.

Should we shut this thread down? Don't want people to think we're obsessed over UK football or anything. :idunno:

Count me on the Mossakowski bandwagon if he's healthy. He seems to have the most potential as a passer going forward. I'd rather put Cobb back there and run the zone read and Wildcat all day than to go to battle with Hartline. He's just never been the leader on or off the field that UK needs IMO.

I disagree with the comparison 100%. Hartline has had some success but always finds a away to stray away from it. IMO he lacks confidence in his own ability and is worried about throwing INT's and is not even wanting to take the chance. I agree with the other parts of Hartline you mentioned just disagree with the comparison.

You may be right on this. I only made the comparison because the coaches have always seemed to like him in practice but I've never seen what the coaches have in game situations. The only game where I have seen Hartline pull it all together was the USC game last year when he got hurt. Hopefully, he took what he did from that USC game and put it to use against everything else. If the guy just stretched the defense every once in a while with a long ball, it would really open up the offense to a vareity of plays. He needs to complete a few of them to prove he can hit the receiver but he doesn't have to complete them all. You just want to have that notion in a DBs mind that he can and will throw the long ball which will stretch the defense and give Locke huge lanes to run through instead of having 8 or 9 in the box all the time.

Count me on the Mossakowski bandwagon if he's healthy. He seems to have the most potential as a passer going forward. I'd rather put Cobb back there and run the zone read and Wildcat all day than to go to battle with Hartline. He's just never been the leader on or off the field that UK needs IMO.

Yep Yep. I agree.

To call him slow last season would be an understatement. The man was a stone in the pocket and looked like he was running through sludge when he was going East/West. He was a bit of a load to bring down when he was running right at people, but he rarely made people miss and he seemed to be of the belief he had 15 seconds with which to stand and look for receivers.

I am disappointed that Mossakowski has not factored in more. He must not be impressive at all to not be better than those two at this point.

That's about how I see it. Perhaps recovering from the injury set Moss back a little too much to make up the ground on a veteran like Hartline. Apparently, he did even things up with Newton if they're considered 2A and 2B on the depth chart.

Newton isn't a dual threat kind of QB to me. Neither is Jacory Harri but they both have been labeled that way. I'll just keep it at that.

He isn't to me either. But, he was touted that way coming in. And, that's my issue...if he can't bring that added dimension to the offense, then he offers nothing that Hartline doesn't already have. Hartline probably knows the offense better, is more comfortable in it, and throws the ball better from what I saw last season.

I, like everyone else, would like to see UK taking shots down the field and being more aggressive. But, unlike many fans, I don't lay the blame for that exclusively at the feet of Hartline or Joker. I was not impressed in the least by UK's receiving options outside of Cobb. Joker has already proven that he will attack down the field when provided the weapons to do so (see Woodson, Burton, Johnson, and Tamme). For a QB to do that, he needs some WR's who can get separation and get open, and time for the route to develop.

Somebody has to step up at the WR position to give our QB's a chance to succeed.

As for the 'Canes QB, he may be more inclined to stay in the pocket and throw the ball, but he's much more dangerous with his feet than Newton. He's very capable of making big plays with his legs. Newton isn't. He's slow and plodding. So, whether Harris chooses to utilize that aspect of his game or not, he's more than capable. That's the difference.

2009 Statistics

Hartline GP=6 Effic=114.41 Cmp-Att-Int=79-133-7 Pct=59.4 Yds=802 TD=6 Lng=55 Avg/G=133.7

Newton GP=6 Effic=119.75 Cmp-Att-Int=52-90-3 Pct=57.8 Yds=539 TD=5 Lng=60 Avg/G=89.8

Those are the stats. Pretty darn close.

I went to all the home games and watched most of the away games. I did not see too many receivers down the field to throw the ball to for either quarterback.

I think the biggest change needed is play calling. With the stable of running backs UK has, teams will be filling the box. It will be interesting to see if the new OC will open it up down field more this year.

I think the conservative play of both players last year came more from play calls than decision making on their part.

2009 Statistics

Hartline GP=6 Effic=114.41 Cmp-Att-Int=79-133-7 Pct=59.4 Yds=802 TD=6 Lng=55 Avg/G=133.7

Newton GP=6 Effic=119.75 Cmp-Att-Int=52-90-3 Pct=57.8 Yds=539 TD=5 Lng=60 Avg/G=89.8

Those are the stats. Pretty darn close.

I went to all the home games and watched most of the away games. I did not see too many receivers down the field to throw the ball to for either quarterback.

I think the biggest change needed is play calling. With the stable of running backs UK has, teams will be filling the box. It will be interesting to see if the new OC will open it up down field more this year.

I think the conservative play of both players last year came more from play calls than decision making on their part.

Where did you get those stats for Newton? They are way off. He was 75-135 or 706 yards. In other words in more attempts he threw for 100 less yards than Hartline. Plus, factor in that Hartline had the 3 starts against the 3 best defenses UK face last year (Alabama, Fla, and USC)

Newton isn't a dual threat kind of QB to me. Neither is Jacory Harri but they both have been labeled that way. I'll just keep it at that.

I had this same discussion when UK was recruiting Newton and I agree as to the label.

Where did you get those stats for Newton? They are way off. He was 75-135 or 706 yards. In other words in more attempts he threw for 100 less yards than Hartline. Plus, factor in that Hartline had the 3 starts against the 3 best defenses UK face last year (Alabama, Fla, and USC)

http://www.ukathletics.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/kty/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/cumulative-stats