Joker names Hartline the starter

FormerCawoodTrojan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like it. I think he was really starting to play well at South Carolina when he got injured.

I do too. I am hearing chatter about Newton being upset but he had half of last season, spring and summer to solidify the number 1 spot and he couldn't create enough separation between himself and Hartline. He can only look at himself. I want Newton to be the qb but he never looked better than Hartline to me.

You know, it is funny you say that. I have felt the same way a little bit about Newton. I think he is a good kid and a good football player, but I don't think he is any better than Hartline. I think this is when you see the character of a man...faced with some adversity probably for the first time in his athletic career. Let's see how he responds.

I can't say that I'm surprised. Disappointed, but I was expecting this. Hartline's been given every chance in the world, he needs to step up and play like a seasoned QB this season. No more being afraid to go down field. The way he played against UF was pathetic to watch first hand. I'd rather go to battle any day with a QB who isn't afraid to try to make a play than one that refuses to try and make something happen because they're afraid they'll mess up. He plays like he's the freshman QB, and now that he's a Senior it's time for him to step up. Newton or Moss could go in and play timid or always hit the underneath guys.

I knew Joker wouldn't bench a guy that has been loyal to the program. I don't think he gives them the best chance to be a Florida. But I do think he gives the enough leadership that will win 6-7 games. I like the kid because he just plays football.

Will he be on a short leash???

I can't say that I'm surprised. Disappointed, but I was expecting this. Hartline's been given every chance in the world, he needs to step up and play like a seasoned QB this season. No more being afraid to go down field. The way he played against UF was pathetic to watch first hand. I'd rather go to battle any day with a QB who isn't afraid to try to make a play than one that refuses to try and make something happen because they're afraid they'll mess up. He plays like he's the freshman QB, and now that he's a Senior it's time for him to step up. Newton or Moss could go in and play timid or always hit the underneath guys.

I agree, and Newton did that for 7 games last year too. I think alot of that was a product of Joker's playcalling last year. I can't disagree with anything you said about Hartline though. I am happy he was given one last opportunity. I know Newton is very disappointed and his post practice news conference showed it. Moss on the other hand had a very, very nice and classey interview. I just hope they all three prepare properly and are ready when called upon.

I knew Joker wouldn't bench a guy that has been loyal to the program. I don't think he gives them the best chance to be a Florida. But I do think he gives the enough leadership that will win 6-7 games. I like the kid because he just plays football.

I'd say pretty short.

Someone told me Hartline has never won an SEC game. Is this true? I think he is a serviceable QB.

No. Hartline started in victories in 2008 against Arkansas and Mississippi St. Newton has wins over Auburn and Georgia in 2009. They both played in a victory against Vandy in 2009, however, its hard to credit either with that win has Locke had more passing yards than either of the QB's

Are you just not sold on Hartline or do you think Newton is that much better right now?

Just never was sold on Hartline. I liked Newton coming into last season but he was to inconsistent and never showed what he could really do. He had a chance during the spring and summer to showcase his growth and potential but didn't.

I disagree with all said. For starters Joker would bench a guy who has been loyal to the program. Your statement holds little validity IMO. Joker has stated numerous times that he is picking a QB who will WIN games not just manage them or "not lose" them either. If he feels Hartline is that guy then great, but he didn't choose Hartline because he'll manage games.

And to answer your question yes he'll be on a very short leash, if he struggles against Louisville and has sub par performances against the lesser teams they face before Florida I believe we will have a switch when we play Florida, probably come after that game but I say do it before it.