Joker names Hartline the starter

FormerCawoodTrojan

Oh and I haven't heard Newton or Mossakowski throw anyone under the bus unlike Mr. Hartline.

I am not a fan of Hartline either, because as you said he always played it safe and really never did much of the offense. However Woodson never showed much either his first few years as a starter, and then he seemed to finally do well. So hopefully Hartline can do the same, even though I am not that confident that he will.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not a fan of Hartline either, because as you said he always played it safe and really never did much of the offense. However Woodson never showed much either his first few years as a starter, and then he seemed to finally do well. So hopefully Hartline can do the same, even though I am not that confident that he will.

I couldn't compare Hartline and Woodson. I know everyone was down on Andre but I was never one of those people. If I had a BGP account back then I could show you. I thought he showed signs of being a very good college QB for most of his career he just wasn't consistent. I've never watched Hartline and thought he'd be anything more than average. Of course that's only my opinion of him. I guess I should just trust Joker and the staff.

Hartline has obviously looked better than Newton and Mossakowski to make this choice. If he wasn't quite a bit better, I would think it would make sense to choose the younger player and let him get better.

I think you start your best players, whether they're a little better or a lot. If Hartline gives us more of the same, then it speaks volumes about how little improvement was made by Newton, IMO.

The bottom line is he didn't win the job. Joker Phillips needs to win to keep his job, so I expect he'll start the best players at each position.

Newton is more athletic than the other 2. He can move in the pocket better and make a play with his running. The O line seems to care more for and believe in Newton. At least last year's unit. Hopefully Hartline has improved a lot.

I was disappointed in Newton's wheels last season. To me, he looked slow for a guy touted as a dual threat QB. While he is more mobile than Hartline, I didn't see that it was enough of an impact to sway a decision between the two.

I think you start your best players, whether they're a little better or a lot. If Hartline gives us more of the same, then it speaks volumes about how little improvement was made by Newton, IMO.

The bottom line is he didn't win the job. Joker Phillips needs to win to keep his job, so I expect he'll start the best players at each position.

I concur.

I was disappointed in Newton's wheels last season. To me, he looked slow for a guy touted as a dual threat QB. While he is more mobile than Hartline, I didn't see that it was enough of an impact to sway a decision between the two.

To call him slow last season would be an understatement. The man was a stone in the pocket and looked like he was running through sludge when he was going East/West. He was a bit of a load to bring down when he was running right at people, but he rarely made people miss and he seemed to be of the belief he had 15 seconds with which to stand and look for receivers.

I am disappointed that Mossakowski has not factored in more. He must not be impressive at all to not be better than those two at this point.

Newton isn't a dual threat kind of QB to me. Neither is Jacory Harri but they both have been labeled that way. I'll just keep it at that.

Newton was no better than Hartline when he played last season. I'll assume, safely I believe, that Hartline has been the better of the two in practice. I may be wrong, but I believe Newton would be the starter if he could have just played even with Hartline. The fact that he isn't tells me Hartline was better.

Newton was supposed to bring a dual threat to the QB position, but his running ability failed to impress me. His ability in the passing game was, at best, equal to Hartline.

Regardless, if the UK WR's don't step up, it's not going to matter.

This is where I stand. Well said.

I just wish Hartline wasn't so conservative. I like QB's who aren't afraid to try to make plays to help their team. IMO Hartline isn't a leader (usually the QB is) but I don't see UK having a leadership quality QB on the roster right now anyway. Hopefully UK can get a good passing game going this year to help them in the future in terms of recruiting.

Does Hartline remind any of you of Josh Carrier from UKs basketball team a few years back? Josh was a big practice player but he could never have it translate to the game unfortunately. I'm starting to get the same vibe from Hartline. However, with that being said, I'm willing to give the guy a shot. If he doesn't show the willingness to throw the ball down the field the first few games, pull him and put in either Newton or Mossakowski.

Does Hartline remind any of you of Josh Carrier from UKs basketball team a few years back? Josh was a big practice player but he could never have it translate to the game unfortunately. I'm starting to get the same vibe from Hartline. However, with that being said, I'm willing to give the guy a shot. If he doesn't show the willingness to throw the ball down the field the first few games, pull him and put in either Newton or Mossakowski.

I disagree with the comparison 100%. Hartline has had some success but always finds a away to stray away from it. IMO he lacks confidence in his own ability and is worried about throwing INT's and is not even wanting to take the chance. I agree with the other parts of Hartline you mentioned just disagree with the comparison.