Joker names Hartline the starter

FormerCawoodTrojan

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I'm surprised. Disappointed, but I was expecting this. Hartline's been given every chance in the world, he needs to step up and play like a seasoned QB this season. No more being afraid to go down field. The way he played against UF was pathetic to watch first hand. I'd rather go to battle any day with a QB who isn't afraid to try to make a play than one that refuses to try and make something happen because they're afraid they'll mess up. He plays like he's the freshman QB, and now that he's a Senior it's time for him to step up. Newton or Moss could go in and play timid or always hit the underneath guys.

I agree 100 %.

Just never was sold on Hartline. I liked Newton coming into last season but he was to inconsistent and never showed what he could really do. He had a chance during the spring and summer to showcase his growth and potential but didn't.

I disagree with all said. For starters Joker would bench a guy who has been loyal to the program. Your statement holds little validity IMO. Joker has stated numerous times that he is picking a QB who will WIN games not just manage them or "not lose" them either. If he feels Hartline is that guy then great, but he didn't choose Hartline because he'll manage games.

And to answer your question yes he'll be on a very short leash, if he struggles against Louisville and has sub par performances against the lesser teams they face before Florida I believe we will have a switch when we play Florida, probably come after that game but I say do it before it.

WHat you said is cool. You can disagree all you want, that is the great thing about BGP!

Newton was no better than Hartline when he played last season. I'll assume, safely I believe, that Hartline has been the better of the two in practice. I may be wrong, but I believe Newton would be the starter if he could have just played even with Hartline. The fact that he isn't tells me Hartline was better.

Newton was supposed to bring a dual threat to the QB position, but his running ability failed to impress me. His ability in the passing game was, at best, equal to Hartline.

Regardless, if the UK WR's don't step up, it's not going to matter.

If Hartline falters and Newton is put into the lineup, what happens if Newton falters? Back to Hartline, or does Mossakowski get a shot?

Joker stated that Newton and Mossakowski are even. They are a slash as far as #2. So I would think Moss would get a shot, if it is that bad.

I say if Hartline isn't good in the first 3 games then you pull him and go with a young guy and build for the future. If Hartline isn't SEC caliber and still takes all the snaps in practice then that is just setting back the development of Newton or Mossakowski. I like this call from an experience and leadership factor.

I just don't see what Hartline brings to the table. He plays it safe? Moss or Newton could do that and get experience in the meantime.

So do you see what Newton brings to the table? I mean in 8 starts he passed for over 100 yards twice. I'm not saying Hartline is great or even good but Newton didn't win the job. With that said how is everyone so sure it came down to Hartline or Newton. Maybe Moss was in the running more than some think.

So do you see what Newton brings to the table? I mean in 8 starts he passed for over 100 yards twice. I'm not saying Hartline is great or even good but Newton didn't win the job. With that said how is everyone so sure it came down to Hartline or Newton. Maybe Moss was in the running more than some think.

Newton is more athletic than the other 2. He can move in the pocket better and make a play with his running. The O line seems to care more for and believe in Newton. At least last year's unit. Hopefully Hartline has improved a lot.

He's young and I think he did improve over the course of the games he played in. Hartline is not the future of UK football. Moss or Newton are/can be.

To me there was virtually no difference in either player, and if that's the case I'll always take young and talented over older and safer.