Russell vs Mercer County Predictions

GOREDDEVILS

The game that Russell lost to Boyd may have been the best thing that happened to Russell this year. Now that was hard to say. No matter what we say on here it showed the players that they can be beat. You can bet your next pay check that Russell will be ready for this one. If Russell looses this one it will be because they played a better team. No excusses. Now if Mercer looses I sure hope we don't here all the excusses in the book like Russell got all the breaks, the refs were bad, our star player got hurt. All excusses.

May the best team win.

I still take Russell and I appreciate the can do attitude from the Mercer faithful. :fight:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Devils were not ready, the comments about this game here on BGP will sure have them ready. You would think Mercer should be favored.

I agree Cubby!! There's absolutely nothing wrong with being excited about your team & it's accomplishments so far this year...If a team is 10-1 and plays a district schedule they are pretty good in most cases...We know that and no one is trying to take anything away from Mercer...However, let's not get carried away...You've won 1 playoff game in the last several years...It takes some time to earn the same respect a team like Belfry or Ashland gets on the schedule...You shouldn't be surprised or offended by that...You'll have your chance to show the world tomorrow night...

On the other hand, you try to downplay Russell's playoff successes...Regardless of the AAA championship in 1978 & all the district & region championships, if we just talk about 2 final 4's in the last 3 years and an AP rank of #4 at the end of this season, how can you question any Russell fan's confidence in our chances of making it to another region championship, final 4, or possible championship game??

I promise you that the Red Devil coaching staff has prepared this team for a battle...They respect all their opponents and obviously know you are one bad game away from packing it in this time of year...The focus is there...The majority of the players playing this game have been through this before...Russell EXPECTS to be here EVERY year...That's just where the program is right now...That's not arrogance either...It's taken a lot of hard work by dedicated coaches & players over the last several years to get the program to this level...Most teams would love to have an opportunity to play in ONE final 4 with a chance to play for the championship let alone 2 of the last 3 & hoping in be in 3 of the last 4 after this year...Think about it...There's only 1 team in every class that is happy at the end of the season...The odds are that most will never make it that far...I think Russell's recent success has earned them a right to expect respect on Friday nights...Some fans do go overboard with that but I assure you that most Russell fans are gracious and classy win or lose...Ask Belfry fans how we were as losers last year and ask Henry Co or anyone in our district how we are as hosts or when we win...

With all that being said, we respect Mercer's accomplishments this year and welcome you to Henry R. Evans Stadium tomorrow night...We do EXPECT to win tomorrow but realize it is NOT a guarantee...I'm sure Mercer should give us all we can handle & is capable of winning the game...One thing I can promise you is, win or lose, the Russell staff & fans will work hard to treat you with class & respect...We EXPECT that here also...Good luck!!

:fire: 58

only one was on subs right after your starters scored again!!!

Are starters were pulled right at the start of the 4th and are last td by are starters was at 12 secs to go by Chad Edwards in the 3rd to make it 52-14. Then the next score for Henry was on the subs. That was J.Doll at 6:32 in the 4th on are subs to make it 52-21 and then another score by are sub S.Smith to make it 59-21with 1:22 and with 7 secs left Henry scored one more on are subs to make it 59-27 and they got the two point conversion witch made it 59-29.

1st 09:50 RUSSELL - T. Brown 45 yd run (D. Evans kick), 5-85 2:10, HENRY 0 - RUSSELL 7

04:59 RUSSELL - K. Clark 2 yd run (D. Evans kick), 6-81 2:50, HENRY 0 - RUSSELL 14

00:33 HENRY - P. Jordan 50 yd pass from C. Stewart (J. Bright kick), 7-58 4:18, HENRY 7 - RUSSELL 14

00:15 RUSSELL - K. Clark 93 yd kickoff return (D. Evans kick), , HENRY 7 - RUSSELL 21

2nd 06:56 HENRY - J. Doll 3 yd run (J. Bright kick), 12-64 5:11, HENRY 14 - RUSSELL 21

05:34 RUSSELL - M. Horn 23 yd run (D. Evans kick), 4-63 1:22, HENRY 14 - RUSSELL 28

00:00 RUSSELL - D. Evans 27 yd field goal, 7-58 0:39, HENRY 14 - RUSSELL 31

3rd 08:44 RUSSELL - T. Brown 3 yd run (D. Evans kick), 6-34 3:15, HENRY 14 - RUSSELL 38

05:09 RUSSELL - K. Clark 5 yd run (D. Evans kick), 6-19 3:23, HENRY 14 - RUSSELL 45

00:12 RUSSELL - C. Edwards 10 yd run (D. Evans kick), 4-64 1:03, HENRY 14 - RUSSELL 52

4th 06:52 HENRY - J. Doll 1 yd run (J. Bright kick), 8-42 3:46, HENRY 21 - RUSSELL 52

01:22 RUSSELL - S. Smith 1 yd run (D. Evans kick), 11-50 5:25, HENRY 21 - RUSSELL 59

00:07 HENRY - H. Ward 2 yd run (C. Stewart rush), 5-65 1:14, HENRY 29 - RUSSELL 59

I agree Cubby!! There's absolutely nothing wrong with being excited about your team & it's accomplishments so far this year...If a team is 10-1 and plays a district schedule they are pretty good in most cases...We know that and no one is trying to take anything away from Mercer...However, let's not get carried away...You've won 1 playoff game in the last several years...It takes some time to earn the same respect a team like Belfry or Ashland gets on the schedule...You shouldn't be surprised or offended by that...You'll have your chance to show the world tomorrow night...

On the other hand, you try to downplay Russell's playoff successes...Regardless of the AAA championship in 1978 & all the district & region championships, if we just talk about 2 final 4's in the last 3 years and an AP rank of #4 at the end of this season, how can you question any Russell fan's confidence in our chances of making it to another region championship, final 4, or possible championship game??

I promise you that the Red Devil coaching staff has prepared this team for a battle...They respect all their opponents and obviously know you are one bad game away from packing it in this time of year...The focus is there...The majority of the players playing this game have been through this before...Russell EXPECTS to be here EVERY year...That's just where the program is right now...That's not arrogance either...It's taken a lot of hard work by dedicated coaches & players over the last several years to get the program to this level...Most teams would love to have an opportunity to play in ONE final 4 with a chance to play for the championship let alone 2 of the last 3 & hoping in be in 3 of the last 4 after this year...Think about it...There's only 1 team in every class that is happy at the end of the season...The odds are that most will never make it that far...I think Russell's recent success has earned them a right to expect respect on Friday nights...Some fans do go overboard with that but I assure you that most Russell fans are gracious and classy win or lose...Ask Belfry fans how we were as losers last year and ask Henry Co or anyone in our district how we are as hosts or when we win...

With all that being said, we respect Mercer's accomplishments this year and welcome you to Henry R. Evans Stadium tomorrow night...We do EXPECT to win tomorrow but realize it is NOT a guarantee...I'm sure Mercer should give us all we can handle & is capable of winning the game...One thing I can promise you is, win or lose, the Russell staff & fans will work hard to treat you with class & respect...We EXPECT that here also...Good luck!!

:fire: 58

:thumb:

Well, enough is said about this game! I can't sleep and it will be a long long long day!! Hopefully the Devils can survive and advance! Let's hope the Devils put a muzzle on the Scotties. By the way my sister used to wear Scottie Dog sweaters. Nevertheless, the game will be decided on the field. Can Russell run against them? Can the defense stop them? Will Mercer Co. control the line of scrimmage? Will Russell be able to move the ball? Can the Devils speed both them and get them in a deep hole early? Who will survive and advance? We all have our opinions. I just hope to see a clean fun hard hitting football game. I honestly don't know who to pick. However, I want to see the Devils play for a State Championship. Can they get to Louisville? I don't know. I'm gonna cross my fingers and make a wish to the Sultan for a Red Devil victory tommorrow night in the cold frozen tundra of Henry R. Evans Stadium!!!!!!!!

Well, enough is said about this game! I can't sleep and it will be a long long long day!! Hopefully the Devils can survive and advance! Let's hope the Devils put a muzzle on the Scotties. By the way my sister used to wear Scottie Dog sweaters. Nevertheless, the game will be decided on the field. Can Russell run against them? Can the defense stop them? Will Mercer Co. control the line of scrimmage? Will Russell be able to move the ball? Can the Devils speed both them and get them in a deep hole early? Who will survive and advance? We all have our opinions. I just hope to see a clean fun hard hitting football game. I honestly don't know who to pick. However, I want to see the Devils play for a State Championship. Can they get to Louisville? I don't know. I'm gonna cross my fingers and make a wish to the Sultan for a Red Devil victory tommorrow night in the cold frozen tundra of Henry R. Evans Stadium!!!!!!!!

That sounds like me its gonna be a long day today!!!!!!! GO Devils!!!!!! :dancingpa :ylsuper:

Russell's Wing-T is not as much about deception as it is execution. If stopping it was as simple as following the gaurds they would not have rushed for over 3,000 yards this season.

But your right. It is easy to defend. Ask coach McGlone and he will tell you they only run 4 plays. :D;)

Actualy it is 8 plays total and that is it.

With the comment on the fans at Russell earlier in the list- We have fans that cheer, we have fans that sit and watch with their mouths closed. Then there are those guys who stand behind us on the landing and yell their heads off. Those fans are DEVILS all the way. They are there every week and on the road too. There is no telling what they will bring in or what they will cheer with. Last year they had signs with MEKO-Suave on them. They are nuts. They are so loud at times that we cant hear the game going on.

The game that Russell lost to Boyd may have been the best thing that happened to Russell this year. Now that was hard to say. ... it showed the players that they can be beat.

... I sure hope we don't hear all the excusses in the book ...

May the best team win.

I still take Russell and I appreciate the can do attitude from the Mercer faithful. :fight:

Now that was a good answer.

Good luck to Russell!

Graybeard