TheMan gives the simple truth about Trinity (and St. X)

TheMan

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that the thing that gets most of the Trinity people upset is the implication that there is something unfair about Trinity's size or other advantages. In reality, we start with a $6,500 disincentive and still manage to compete in the marketplace where students and parents decide where to go for high school. The marketplace says that Trinity has advantages that are worth a lot of money. I'm proud of it.

Originally posted by CentreRocks

TheMan,

You have stated numerous facts to show that Trinity has many more boys to play football. There is one other stat I would like to see: What is the percentage of boys that play football at these schools?

Moreover, what would you like to see done? Do you want Trinity and X banished? Do you want the top fifteen populous schools in their own class? Everyone seems to get on here and make points about how Trinity has an advantage, whether it be unfair or fair, yet fails to offer any suggestions. What should Trinity do? Sure we have more boys then anyone except X, but is there anything we can do about it?

Finally, if you took the coaching staff at Trinity and put them at any school in the state, I contend that they would win a state championship within five years.

Do you wish to respond?

Also, the gap between Trinity and St. X is 784 students. That gap is larger than the gap between Trinity and:

North Hardin: 722

Scott County: 720

Butler: 694

Male: 681

Daviess County: 652

Henry Clay: 624

Eastern: 612

Henderson County: 611

Ballard: 594

Seneca: 589

Lafayette: 531

Manual: 515

Tates Creek: 506

PRP: 437

Paul Dunbar: 305

So, how come you never hear anyone from Trinity complain about the unfair 784 student advantage St. X has on Trinity? After all, St. X has a greater advantage on Trinity than Trinity does on all of the aforementioned schools!

What is your point SF? What does making gross exagerations do except show that you do not want to carry on an intellectual debate?

As far as anything new being discussed, maybe this thread doesn't cover any new gound (I have not been around enough recently to know). However, I do think his stats show how dramatic the numbers favor St. X and Trinity.

Sports guy, to a certain degree, we are in agreement. Yes numbers to help but, if the Trinity football team had to give up one of the following advantages: numbers, outstanding coaches, the expectations put on players and coaches. I would give up the numbers in a heartbeat.

Because, despite Dixie Heights being one of the 15 smallest 4A schools (according to TheMan), they were a good team. I don't care what their numbers are, if they were in Jefferson Co., they would beat most of the larger schools in Jefferson Co. They must be well coached.

I only bring up Jefferson Co. schools because I am most fimiliar with them. How Dixie would do in Lexington or Western KY, I don't know?????

The KHSAA does not allow athletic scholarships.

Any financial aid given by Trinity is based upon what the Adjusted Gross Income is on applicants tax return and how many dependants are being supported in that household. Illnesses in the family and other out of the ordinary costs are considered.

The most that can be given out is 50% of tuition so aid can be spread out among a larger portion of the student body.

I would guess St. X works about the same. Oxnard, could you confirm please? Basically, the same way colleges give out financial aid.

Trinity alum = Speaking only about myself, I do not think there is anything unfair about Trinity's numbers, or the reasons they get so many kids to go to school there, Just that it is one of the main reasons they are so good, nothing to be ashamed of either.

I follow one of the smallest football schools in the state, that is situated in a small city in N.KY. Like Trinity, Beechwood draws students and student athletes because of the academics as well, not just sports. The school has a lot more students than they did just 15 years ago, and the school building is over 100% larger than it was back then.

We are a public school with a very limited district, We now get students form all three N. KY counties now, not just for sports, But they all must be willing to pay the high tuition cost, which is higher than some private schools around here.

If I had kids and lived in Louisville there are two schools that I would want to send them to, Trinity or St. X, not just for sports, but a very good education, and until the problems are fixed in some public schools people will always look towards private schools to send their kids, regardless of how big the school is already. But Size does help with sports to a point, as well as coaching... :)

Here's my two cents(someone can give me change later).

If you are comparing a 4A school to another 4A school, then the statistical advantage is minimal.

However, if you're comparing a 4A school to a 3A or lower, then the statistical advantage gets bigger the lower you go.

Does this create an advantage for Trinity, in some aspects yes it does. But not as big when staying in the same class. Drop in to a lower class and the advantage gets bigger, quite simply because they have more people to chose from.

The Trinity faithful can not say that if Trinity lined up against Beechwood, that they wouldn't have an advantage because they had more boys to chose from because I'm quite sure that Beechwood works just as hard in practice and the offseason as Trinity does.

So can someone explain to me why numbers "don't matter" cause I haven't seen an explanation that really makes sense. Yes, they still have to lineup and go 11 on 11. But what's behind the 11. Trinity probably goes 2 to 3 deep at every position, where Beechwood would probably be lucky to go 2 deep at half of the positions.

I understand it is not an athletic scholarship. Bert do you think they would be willing to stop offering scholarships? If so I think this debate would come to an end. I feel that the fact that a student can have 50% of their tuition paid just aids to the problem.

I don't think anyone would argue that numbers "don't matter" at all. They would argue that what is being portrayed on the threads that numbers are the only or the vast reason Trinity is as successful as it is.

Those on the Trinity/St. X would argue that despite Boyle Co., Highlands, Breathit, and Danville, being smaller schools would defeat 75% of the schools in 4A. So, coaching must be pretty important, probably most important.

Originally posted by Bert

I don't think anyone would argue that numbers "don't matter" at all. They would argue that what is being portrayed on the threads that numbers are the only or the vast reason Trinity is as successful as it is.

Those on the Trinity/St. X would argue that despite Boyle Co., Highlands, Breathit, and Danville, being smaller schools would defeat 75% of the schools in 4A. So, coaching must be pretty important, probably most important.

There are many factors that go in to making a successful program. Coaching is a very important part of that.

Trinity is a great program and the alums should be proud of their team. But some of the alums put their team on a high pedestal and act like some of the other schools(no matter the size or history) are also-rans. People just want to point out the differences. One of the biggest differences in most cases is numbers.

Sometimes it's better to just let it go in one ear and out the other than it is to actually respond and keep the fire(thread) going.

TheMan certainly seems to have touched a nerve here. But isn't that what makes this board so great. Good Job THEMAN, even if I don't always agree with you.