TheMan gives the simple truth about Trinity (and St. X)

TheMan

Originally posted by Gaily Bedight

Last time I checked it took Mr Basketball and his bulldogs a last second shot to beat Trinity.

And the week before that it took another Mr Basketball (the guy who should get it in my mind not that what i think matters) and his Eastern Eagles a last second shot to beat Trinity. Trinity isnt getting pounded anymore. Just like the state game in football, a break here or there and Trinity is 3-0 with wins over eastern and male.

What is the deal? When we talk football your guy's memories extend to the beginning of time, when we talk basketball it extends two weeks? Doesn't anyone remember the glory days when Male, Ballard, Moore, Iroquois, Faridale, Eastern and the rest of the gang were handing it to the Rocks on a daily/semi-weekly basis?

Originally posted by Trinity alum

You haven't said whether you believe the advantage is unfair or requires a remedy.

TheMan did (just for you Gaily Bedight).

Originally posted by TheMan

Make no mistake TheMan doesn't care where a kid goes to school. TheMan doesn't care why a kid chooses to go there. TheMan doesn't want Trinity, X, or anyone else to have to play in their own "private league" (what fun would that be).

Not looking to change things or propose a remedy.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about anyone else, but I love these Trinity threads. It's great to see the Trinity faithful defend their program so vigorously(sp). Even though in my opinion their record and 14 championships speaks for itself, they still find it necessary to quickly and overwhelmingly jump on any topic that could possibly be construed as negative toward their program. Especially the topics related to enrollment and public -vs- private.

ahhhh the man....gasp....I was simply pointing out that things in basketball seem to be changing, thats all, you are correct that it wasnt too long that Trinity did get pounded all the time in Basketball.

But alas The Man, you know everything (otherwise your name wouldnt be theman) and there is no sense talking about this. I do feel bad for those who graduated from Trinity. They can never win a state title in football and be the best team around. They always have an * by their name because they have more kids than everyone else. Everyone else who wins in 1-3A doesnt have to deal with the fans trying to take away from the teams title. Its always something with the people who arent X and T fans, they just dont want to admit the real truth about all this. And you guys wonder why the Trinity fans and X fans get so defensive. Perhaps its because everytime Trinity or X win, they have to justify themselves. :confused:

Originally posted by Gaily Bedight

Its always something with the people who arent X and T fans, they just dont want to admit the real truth about all this. And you guys wonder why the Trinity fans and X fans get so defensive. Perhaps its because everytime Trinity or X win, they have to justify themselves. :confused:

Justify themselves to who? I was under the impression that the only people/person you ever have to justify your actions is to yourself and the higher power above.

Originally posted by Trinity alum

I need to make a correction. In the 1968-69 school year, Trinity was almost as large as it is today. In 1969, Trinity graduated 301. The 60's were a period of very rapid growth.

It would appear that explaining the 1968 season is a non-issue.

From a different light, I think Trinity, X, and Male are also at an advantage being located in the state's largest city where you have the largest pool of potential athletes. The better atheletes will naturally go to where they perceive as the top programs. This is very much to the benefit of Male and Trinity.

Did Male get Michael Bush because it is a large school and he just happened to be one of the many students to attend Male? Of course not, Bush went to Male because he was attracted to Male's outstanding athletic programs. To the best of my knowledge Bush is not even from the Preston Hwy area yet he made the sacrifice to travel to the Preston Hwy area every day because he believed that Male would better foster his God given talents than the schools in his neighborhood. The same is true for Spencer, Shumate and all the rest of Male's most talented football players who may or may not be from Male's neighborhood but don't care because the feel they are better off to go a school with quality athletics such as Male Traditional.

The same is true for Trinity obviously. If you are athletic grade school/middle school boy with hopes to playing in college, wouldn't it make since to choose Male, Trinity, Manual or X. OK, so X had a so-so year, I still think many kids will look at X and will admire their tradition of producing quality athletes and will decide to go to X over other high schools. You guys get my point.

So, to go back to the original question brought up by TheMan, "What makes Trinity so good?" I think the answer would be a myriad of things. The aspects that make Trinity, X, Male and Manual so good are: their numbers (yes I admit it helps), also their coaching, and also they being located in a large city with tens of thousands of grade school/middle students where their proud traditions can attract a larger portion of the best talent out of that city than they could if they didn't have such proud traditions, and numerous other facts. And there are many other advantages the four mentioned schools have. I don't know if you could say one is drastically more advantageous than the others. I personally would still say coaching is slightly more advantageous than the others.

If Male and Trinity were located in a city 1/5 the size of Louisville but Trinity and Male were still as large as they currently are, would they still be as successful. I don't know, they would not have the large mass of grade school/middle school boys to attract the best talent from with their traditions and proud programs so, their teams would probably not be as dominant. I think both would still be winning teams due to the quality coaches that Redmon and Beatty are but, probably not as dominant.

Did any of that make since? I know it is a little wordy If it did make since, would you agree?

I made a post not too long ago suggesting that The hype over Trinity's success maybe slightly overblown.

I said this because I had witness football from all over These United States, and though I am impressed with Trinity's success. I am fully aware of their advantages.

To reinforce my view point, I stated I know that overall, football is better in Texas, California, and Florida. And if you didn't believe that check the rosters of the Major universities in Kentucky and they are full of athletes from those states.

Well the Trinity faithful came out swinging and assured to put me in my place. And you know what their main DEFENSE WAS, concerning why Texas, Cali, and Florida football is perhaps better???????????????????????????????????

TheMan, you will LOVE THIS!!!!!

Would you believe they asked?????

and I quote "does anyone have the total population figures for the states of CA, TX, FL? how about KY?"

And how about about this one THEMAN!!! and I quote "The depth in the aforementioned states is unreal and dwarfs anything we may have. Sure that is a result of population, but nevertheless it contributes to a better product as a whole."

Finally they laid the facts out to me! TheMan, you really will love this one! Speaking of the populations of the states I mentioned And I quote "that is a pool 17.5 times larger to fish in"

How about that? Texas, Florida, and Cali are better because they have a larger population, but Trinity isn't better because they have a larger population?????? Is it me or something smells Stinky!

Guys, Trinity has an advantage! A Big One!

:lol: :lol: :lol::fight:

I would have to say that if trinity and male were public schools and had guys and girls they would not be as good as they are but...........it isn't the MAIN thing that makes them as good as they are...I would say this year Brohm made T as good as they were this year and Bush made male as good as they were...

they would still be excellent teams without the two stars but i do think that there would of been more competition in the 4A class than there was...

Originally posted by KYfootball1512

I would have to say that if trinity and male were public schools and had guys and girls they would not be as good as they are but...........it isn't the MAIN thing that makes them as good as they are...I would say this year Brohm made T as good as they were this year and Bush made male as good as they were...

they would still be excellent teams without the two stars but i do think that there would of been more competition in the 4A class than there was...

Male is a public school and has been co-ed since 1954. You must have us confused with that other catholic behemoth in Louisville! :lol:

Numbers may matter some, however it is not the key factor in winning. In Indiana, particularly Fort Wayne, the largest school is Northrop, they are lousy! Always have been, and from the looks of it......always will be.

Trinity's advantage................TRADITION!

It draws the kids, coaches, and fans. Same goes for X. Without the winning TRADITION they would be another Bishop David, and we know where BD is......their gone.

If I remeber right...........The Rocks almost went co-ed a few years back, main reason...declining enrollment. Things have changed.

TRADITION ..........kids just want to be a PART!

Originally posted by NamecipS

I don't know about anyone else, but I love these Trinity threads. It's great to see the Trinity faithful defend their program so vigorously(sp). Even though in my opinion their record and 14 championships speaks for itself, they still find it necessary to quickly and overwhelmingly jump on any topic that could possibly be construed as negative toward their program. Especially the topics related to enrollment and public -vs- private.

You would be doing the same if it were your school being attacked. It seems to me that some on this board will not be happy until Trinity, amoung others, is kicked out of the KHSAA.

Does Trinity's larger enrollment constitute an advantage? YES.

Is this an unfair advantage? NO. It's just the way things are.

Finally for the third time will someone please answer this question for me. Why do Trinity fans not complain that the gap between them and St. X is bigger than that of Trinity and the next 15 or so schools?

How far back do you want to go??

I know in the 70's we beat Male & Ballard & were ranked very consistently.

Maybe if you go back to the 50's when we first opened we have been involved in some lopsided games.

TheMan has no clue about sports or Trinity!!!!

Originally posted by austinman1

I made a post not too long ago suggesting that The hype over Trinity's success maybe slightly overblown.

I said this because I had witness football from all over These United States, and though I am impressed with Trinity's success. I am fully aware of their advantages.

To reinforce my view point, I stated I know that overall, football is better in Texas, California, and Florida. And if you didn't believe that check the rosters of the Major universities in Kentucky and they are full of athletes from those states.

Well the Trinity faithful came out swinging and assured to put me in my place. And you know what their main DEFENSE WAS, concerning why Texas, Cali, and Florida football is perhaps better???????????????????????????????????

TheMan, you will LOVE THIS!!!!!

Would you believe they asked?????

and I quote "does anyone have the total population figures for the states of CA, TX, FL? how about KY?"

And how about about this one THEMAN!!! and I quote "The depth in the aforementioned states is unreal and dwarfs anything we may have. Sure that is a result of population, but nevertheless it contributes to a better product as a whole."

Finally they laid the facts out to me! TheMan, you really will love this one! Speaking of the populations of the states I mentioned And I quote "that is a pool 17.5 times larger to fish in"

How about that? Texas, Florida, and Cali are better because they have a larger population, but Trinity isn't better because they have a larger population?????? Is it me or something smells Stinky!

Guys, Trinity has an advantage! A Big One!

:lol: :lol: :lol::fight:

Inquiring minds want to know. What team do you coach? How bad did Trinity beat you?