Montana's son among 11 Irish athletes arrested

HOMELESS CAMEL

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from the article:

SOUTH BEND, Ind. -- The son of former Notre Dame standout Joe Montana was among 11 Fighting Irish athletes arrested on misdemeanor charges of underage drinking at a party Friday night.

Pretty clear to me that they were drinking and got arrested for it, of course it wouldn't have made the news, if not for them being with little Joe!

CatsCatsCats, whether you are a college student or not, it is against the law. Just because everybody does it (BTW they all don't) doesn't mean when you get caught breaking the law nothing should happen. BTW they could, if convicted, each face a maximum sentence of 30 days in jail.

My guess is the young man from Ryle whose father is in law enforcement, will be harder on his son than the coach, school or court is!

:thumb:

This would have never been an issue if Joe Montana's son wasn't in the group that got arrested. This has been blown totally out of proportion! If some of the posters on here have grown kids or teenagers, I'd bet 90%+ of them have done the same thing this group of college students did. Don't be naive enough to think your kids have not or will not do the same. At least the students were responsible enough to take a bus or cab to the party. The article said they were drinking, not drunk. If they drank enough to show (blow) that they were drinking, they got arrested.

The police could go to any party on campus or off campus with college students in attendance and arrest kids for the exact same thing. Several players jumped out of windows and out the back door and ran, or else they would have been arrested also; so who knows who was there and wasn't.

Also, if an 18 year old is old enough to go to the middle east and defend our country or worse die for our country, he/she should be old enough to drink a beer; just be responsible and don't be driving!

This would have never been an issue if Joe Montana's son wasn't in the group that got arrested. This has been blown totally out of proportion! If some of the posters on here have grown kids or teenagers, I'd bet 90%+ of them have done the same thing this group of college students did. Don't be naive enough to think your kids have not or will not do the same. At least the students were responsible enough to take a bus or cab to the party. The article said they were drinking, not drunk. If they drank enough to show (blow) that they were drinking, they got arrested.

The police could go to any party on campus or off campus with college students in attendance and arrest kids for the exact same thing. Several players jumped out of windows and out the back door and ran, or else they would have been arrested also; so who knows who was there and wasn't.

Also, if an 18 year old is old enough to go to the middle east and defend our country or worse die for our country, he/she should be old enough to drink a beer; just be responsible and don't be driving!

I love the parent and grandparent generation on this thread. Go ahead and act like you haven't done this, you kids haven't done this or won't do this. Maybe they haven't, but many if not most people at least do it at some point in college, so there is no need to act like this is some unforgivable sin. :thumb:

BK is suppose to be on the hook for this? Because his college students drink and some are under 21 when they do it? Let's just go ahead and fire every division 1 coach then. Lack of control? How about 18-22 year old kids just trying to have a good time, fit in and be normal?

And I'm not taking up for BK, I cannot stand the man one bit.

If you can't keep a group of new incoming freshmen in line when they've been on campus all of two to three weeks then you probably don't have the control you need or you just don't see that as an issue that could possibly affect your program.

I completely disagree. The only difference between these boys and the boys on other teams is these boys got caught.

I guess I don't follow it close enough. Who else?

Floyd with an incident drunk and resisting arrest. Another kid who's name I can't remember with possession. Matt James. Now this. 4 sets of drug and alcohol related incidents. Kids being kids? Very fine line after 4. Would you disagree???

Floyd with an incident drunk and resisting arrest. Another kid who's name I can't remember with possession. Matt James. Now this. 4 sets of drug and alcohol related incidents. Kids being kids? Very fine line after 4. Would you disagree???

First, no chance Matt James gets connected to a college coach. If you're still in high school that's not on the college.

I had forgotten about Floyd obviously. Not sure who the other kid is you reference.

I do not subscribe to the "out of control" thinking. I'm actually shocked it doesn't happen more often. Odds say that 75%+ of college kids are consuming alcohol even if they're underage.

When one says "out of control" I picture the Gators and crimes being committed. Underage drinking just doesn't do it for me.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of the SEC teams then. Florida under Meyer would make BK's Notre Dame team look like a bunch of saints. Alot of that stuff gets swept under the rug though, as would this incident had it not have been Montana's son.

Matt James was an incoming player wasn't he? Don't know how his tragedy goes on BK, though he obviously recruited him.

Not directly on BK, but it's all on Notre Dame. Obviously James is a bit of a reach, but he was signed with the Irish and there is still no way around that. Clearly it's fairly minor as a whole, but that is still 4 alcohol or drug related events for an institution that flaunts being "above the fray". At what point is it too much? 6? 8? 10???

Not directly on BK, but it's all on Notre Dame. Obviously James is a bit of a reach, but he was signed with the Irish and there is still no way around that. Clearly it's fairly minor as a whole, but that is still 4 alcohol or drug related events for an institution that flaunts being "above the fray". At what point is it too much? 6? 8? 10???

I think you point out the difference between what's in the paper and gets lumped with a school vs what they really can control.

Again, underage drinking (not drunk driving) are minor in my book regardless of the school. Its simply a fact of life and truly cannot be controlled by a coach. The only way I can see a coach controlling it is threatening the throw them off the team. Otherwise, they'll just take their chances (remember, they're young men who don't always use their brains) and deal with any running/up-downs they have coming their way.

This is a much smaller deal than what we've got going at UF and UT.

I think you point out the difference between what's in the paper and gets lumped with a school vs what they really can control.

Again, underage drinking (not drunk driving) are minor in my book regardless of the school. Its simply a fact of life and truly cannot be controlled by a coach. The only way I can see a coach controlling it is threatening the throw them off the team. Otherwise, they'll just take their chances (remember, they're young men who don't always use their brains) and deal with any running/up-downs they have coming their way.

This is a much smaller deal than what we've got going at UF and UT.

I have to agree :thumb:.

GT are you sure your hate for BK isn't clouding your judgement a little bit on this one :lol:? This kind of stuff goes on everywhere, not just Notre Dame. It's more a black mark on society or even college athletics than it is Notre Dame IMO.

I have to agree :thumb:.

GT are you sure your hate for BK isn't clouding your judgement a little bit on this one :lol:? This kind of stuff goes on everywhere, not just Notre Dame. It's more a black mark on society or even college athletics than it is Notre Dame IMO.

I have not gone after BK once on this. Simply asked how many is too many for a school that holds itself to the standard we hear from ND.

The reality is BK will be the least of the players worries at this point. Paul Longo is going to make them hate life ten fold for the next few weeks. And after that we find out if the Student Life committee or whatever it is drops the hammer with the football staff having no say. A lot of variables at ND that 99% of the others don't have to deal with. No more. No less...

Sounds kind of unrealistic to me too. College is a time for learning and experimenting. To me, drinking is a big part that for many students. First time out of the house and on their own, if drinking at a party is the worst these kids ever do then their parents should be relieved.

This is spot on!

I remember reading a few years ago that some college presidents were considering being less restrictive about alcohol on campus to keep the kids out of cars after they had been drinking.

They're going to have a few and I'd rather have them stumble home from a campus party to their dorm than take the chance of getting behind the wheel of a car!

Seriously?... Maybe he didn't know about the party, wasn't invited, out of town or like you said, chose not to go. Who knows, but to say that "the Bluebird had his mind right," because he wasn't there, is a little over the top; don't you think? I am sure that he is a good kid but so is Tate; he and the others just got caught doing something that nearly all of us did in college.

From hearing how the workouts there are going with Austin being the strongest and fastest freshman in the class, and he is the hardest worker on the team, I am sticking to my conclusion Collinsworth is smarter then going to frat parties where the spotlight is always on you.