I love parents...

mexitucky

Glad I wasn't the only person that got the anti-Newport vibe. I'm not sure why it was significant to Mex that the kids were from Newport, especially if the overarching theme of the post is that some parents just don't get it. Trust me...there are parents that "just don't get it" it every city...even Fort Thomas. Oh, and while we're at it...I'm guessing that there are probably Fort Thomas kids that have, at some point, come into Newport and done something illegal. In fact, I could probably even share a couple stories to illustrate that fact, but I won't. The point is that it's not just those darn Newport kids that get caught up in trouble. It happens everywhere....even in Fort Thomas.

Oh my, people can read into things. For background purposes, I went to Holy Spirit. I've spent a lot of time growing up in Newport. The Newport reference was to give a geographical context so that people familiar with it would realize that that was a pretty good distance for these young boys to walk w/ no reason for going there. It would have been the same if they lived in Highland Heights or Cold Spring. They had no positive reason for being there and they took four bikes. Who cares where they are from? I was referring to the reaction of the mother.

Oh. Sorry. I misinterpreted. Thanks for the clarification!:thumb:

I was born and raised in Newport, so I guess I am a little too used to having to convince people that Newport is actually made up of a pretty diverse population. For those who don't know (and it appears that there may be a couple in this thread that don't), we're not just the bunch of incredibly misguided kids (to put it mildly) and poor excuses for parents that was referenced in the original post.

King Leatherneck was tough, huh?

The waterboard process is something that I would not like to ever go through again. However, I've found since the move that I am the biggest, fastest, and best Mexitucky ever. I find myself working incredibly hard.

I'm still trying to figure out why you didn't stop the kids from stealing the bikes from you neighbor's yard if you saw them doing it.

I didn't. They ratted each other out, that's how I know what happened. I was at work. You have to know the neighborhood to realize how easy it was for them.

There are parents...then there are birth mother/father (s)...but parenting isn't in their skill set. Also, there are a lot of the latter whose children should be removed from their home at birth, and it really makes one wonder if court-ordered sterilization would be a benefit to our society.

The waterboard process is something that I would not like to ever go through again. However, I've found since the move that I am the biggest, fastest, and best Mexitucky ever. I find myself working incredibly hard.

But until you've lived in the City at least 10 years, you don't get to vote in City Council elections. :D

A little story here (I figured I better tell it before Henry does). When I was on FT City Council I chaired the Public Works Committee. In Ft. Thomas, when streets are repaved, on most streets other than the main ones, the City and the property owners share the repaving costs on a 50-50 basis. The property owner's share is based on a linear frontage foot basis (which is one of statutorily permitted ways) which by the way really hurts me because I have a shallow but wide lot with a lot of frontage. This guy who within the year had moved from Ohio to FT shows up at the public hearing and basically proceeds to tell me and the other committee members how stupid we were for assessing the property owners a part of the cost; it's not how they did it in Ohio; etc. etc. We patiently listened to him (I have to admit, he was trying my patience and I wanted to tell him if they ran things so well in Ohio the bridge was open, but I held my tongue) and calmly explained why we did what we did. But he wasn't hearing any of it. The next morning I'm running with a couple of friends and I'm telling them what happened the prior evening and tell them it frosts my tookus (credit to Run to State) when people move into town and tell us how messed up we are in running the city (FT by the way has generally been well recognized for being a well run city). One of my friends who had only lived in the City a couple of years responds with a joking comment of something to the effect of: "well when do I get to have an opinion on City issues?" I kiddingly tell him 10 years and until then shut up, observe and learn.

10 years to the day after he moved to FT he calls me up and says: "hey, as of today I've lived in FT for 10 years and you stunk as a Council member". :D Of course I told him he was right. Then again, he didn't file any papers to run himself so I guess we weren't running it too bad. :banana:

Mex, we love having you in the City; now we just need to make sure your kids go to Highlands and not that school on the hill. And by the way, I didn't read into your post any thing derogatory about Newport. My parents and my father in law all grew up in Newport. There's some good folks there and some not so good folks there. Just like every where else.

I'm still trying to figure out why you didn't stop the kids from stealing the bikes from you neighbor's yard if you saw them doing it.

Because he was too busy looking for his business card so he could represent them in court after they got busted. LOL sorry mex!:D