Experts saying too many students going to college

Never said that. And if you were going by communist ideals then everyone would go to college, a true collective.

I never said the government should choose, I just think that it is too easy to get a degree now. In essence the greater the supply of something the less valuable it is. A high school diploma means next to nothing since we are essentially required to graduate from high school. The more people who have college degrees the less valuable they are. We are seeing that now. It used to be that a college degree guaranteed you a great job because you had one. Now you are a dime a dozen with a college degree.

Haven't most communist countries in the past actually discouraged formal education? China and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia come to mind. And by the government choosing who would be able to go to school, I think that resembles what some communist countries have tried to do with controlling what everyone is allowed to make out of their lives.

Maybe a college degree is too easy to get, but this is America we can be whatever we want. With the current standards in place, everyone deserves a shot at college if they really want it. And if they can make it through and get their degrees, why not? I think it's a cycle, right now college is the trendy thing to do. As the job market gets more congested, I think more and more people will settle for or desire jobs that don't require a degree. That's JMO, but I think at the end of the day things will work out.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't most communist countries in the past actually discouraged formal education? China and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia come to mind. And by the government choosing who would be able to go to school, I think that resembles what some communist countries have tried to do with controlling what everyone is allowed to make out of their lives.

Maybe a college degree is too easy to get, but this is America we can be whatever we want. With the current standards in place, everyone deserves a shot at college if they really want it. And if they can make it through and get their degrees, why not? I think it's a cycle, right now college is the trendy thing to do. As the job market gets more congested, I think more and more people will settle for or desire jobs that don't require a degree. That's JMO, but I think at the end of the day things will work out.

You are talking about communism in practice not communism in its purest form. Communism in practice is essentially a variation of Fascism. I oppose both by the way.

I frankly think that standards need to be higher than they are.

This will be about the 5th thread in as many months and about the 20th over the last 3 years in which I insert my opinion that my preference would be to move toward a more Germanic educational system in which no government money is thrown to educate certain students after about the 8th grade, bur rather an election is made to spend that same money on certain vocational training, if they so choose. The country is ready for a large scale construction of nucelar reactors to drive energy policy, and we should begin training students who are not interested in traditional education to work in the reactors.

The industrial arts needs an influx of manpower, and that is where there is a ton of money to be made these days.

This will be about the 5th thread in as many months and about the 20th over the last 3 years in which I insert my opinion that my preference would be to move toward a more Germanic educational system in which no government money is thrown to educate certain students after about the 8th grade, bur rather an election is made to spend that same money on certain vocational training, if they so choose. The country is ready for a large scale construction of nucelar reactors to drive energy policy, and we should begin training students who are not interested in traditional education to work in the reactors.

The industrial arts needs an influx of manpower, and that is where there is a ton of money to be made these days.

I concur:thumb:

I concur:thumb:

This will be about the 5th time that I have agreed with you on the issue, too. :thumb:

It would be so much easier if they would just let the three of us be in charge.

You are talking about communism in practice not communism in its purest form. Communism in practice is essentially a variation of Fascism. I oppose both by the way.

I frankly think that standards need to be higher than they are.

No one ever talks about pure communism. And most don't seem to know the definition, which is why I used it in that form.

No one ever talks about pure communism. And most don't seem to know the definition, which is why I used it in that form.

You haven't discussed many things with me in the past but I am very specific when I do decide to jump into an argument/discussion. If the lowest common denominator of American accepts a certain definition of something that is likely inaccurate it is probably best to assume that I do not subscribe to the same one.

It is an absolute joke what college has become. Pep is correct, the college degree has become so devalued to the point it means nothing. The college degree has now become a high school degree.

The demonizing of professional trades and notion that all should be granted the college experience is flawed in so many ways.

The world needs ditch-diggers too.

I went to college in two separate stints. From the first time to the last time (about a 6-year gap), I noticed a lot more people who had no business being in college. I still had a few general studies classes to take, and they were very dumbed-down from what I had earlier on.

In the junior-level English class I took during the second stint it was frightening to see how poorly most of my classmates wrote when we would trade essays around for peer review. The English 300 classes I took and dropped at WKU (flunked another time when I quit going to class after a blowup with a professor after the drop date -- all three times due to being too lazy to do the research paper) were much more advanced from 8-9 years earlier. I didn't even have to do a research paper, which was kind of weak.

Judge Smales, is that you?

Educational Attainment

Absolute Change

Percent Change

No high school diploma or GED

$1,577,466

$960,365

-$617,101

H.S. diploma/GED, no college years

$1,814,595

$1,380,636

-$433,957