Experts saying too many students going to college

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A doctor had a pipe burst in his bathroom. He called the first plumber in the phone book.

The plumber fixed the pipe in an hour and presented the doctor with a bill for $150. The doctor said, "150 dollars for an hour's work? I'm a doctor and I only make 100 dollars an hour."

"That's what I made when I was a doctor". replied the plumber.

Considering the chart, we won't have to worry about that disparity much longer with the new tax rates coming for the Bachelor and Master's degrees. That will bring them back down to the GED level.:D:p:lol:

On a serious note, it is ironic that we push how much more a person can earn over a HS diploma/GED by going to college and then politicians campaign on how bad it is that college graduates with BS/Masters make so much more than HS diplomas/GED individuals.

Good when looking at education.

Bad when looking at people being responsible for their own actions.

On a serious note, it is ironic that we push how much more a person can earn over a HS diploma/GED by going to college and then politicians campaign on how bad it is that college graduates with BS/Masters make so much more than HS diplomas/GED individuals.

Example?

Example?

We rightfully tell students how education is a great thing and that they will earn much more in their life with college/advanced degrees and that their life could be better/easier with a better income than if they are not a HS graduate.

And then we redistributed their wealth that they worked hard for and followed our advice to the poor that did not follow our advice.

And from the chart above, that seems to be mainly those that have gone on to work hard and earn a advanced education to those that did not finish high school.

We rightfully tell students how education is a great thing and that they will earn much more in their life with college/advanced degrees and that their life could be better/easier with a better income than if they are not a HS graduate.

And then we redistributed their wealth that they worked hard for and followed our advice to the poor that did not follow our advice.

And from the chart above, that seems to be mainly those that have gone on to work hard and earn a advanced education to those that did not finish high school.

Wealth redistribution? That sounds much like a conservative talking point.

As someone in that top educational category (per the chart that I listed above), I would rather be where I am than in any lesser tier that receives benefits from that "wealth redistribution."

That's a gross exaggeration. Nothing the govt does makes it "worthwhile" to forgo a college education if that's your goal.

That's a gross exaggeration. Nothing the govt does makes it "worthwhile" to forgo a college education if that's your goal.

Not saying that at all.

Just saying that rightfully we push college education (although personally it should be more of a push of education AFTER HS and not just college) and then overtax them to redistribute the money that wouldn't follow the advice of so many and get an education past HS.

Just find it ironic that is a small way we give money to those who wouldn't take the advice from those that DID take the advice and better themselves through education.

Not saying that at all.

Just saying that rightfully we push college education (although personally it should be more of a push of education AFTER HS and not just college) and then overtax them to redistribute the money that wouldn't follow the advice of so many and get an education past HS.

Just find it ironic that is a small way we give money to those who wouldn't take the advice from those that DID take the advice and better themselves through education.

The kicker being, however, that those who didn't take the advice are always going to be in a bad way. The whole "redistribution of wealth" angle is bogus as hell when you consider that all the folks griping about the "redistribution of wealth" would never dream of trading places with those who might actually benefit from said redistribution.

The kicker being, however, that those who didn't take the advice are always going to be in a bad way. The whole "redistribution of wealth" angle is bogus as hell when you consider that all the folks griping about the "redistribution of wealth" would never dream of trading places with those who might actually benefit from said redistribution.

I agree 100% about trading places comment. Not sure I agree with the bogus comment.

I will say that it still surprises me that not taking the advice leads kids down a path to a "bad way" and they either don't care or don't believe that it will happen to them.

Had that exact discussion today. Choose a path that could lead you to a construction supervisor position or a construction worker position. They choose the latter despite knowing the difference in potential income over their life. No desire to pursue a supervisor and possible 4-year degree in construction management because they didn't want to be taking Algebra III their senior year.

I agree 100% about trading places comment. Not sure I agree with the bogus comment.

I will say that it still surprises me that not taking the advice leads kids down a path to a "bad way" and they either don't care or don't believe that it will happen to them.

Had that exact discussion today. Choose a path that could lead you to a construction supervisor position or a construction worker position. They choose the latter despite knowing the difference in potential income over their life. No desire to pursue a supervisor and possible 4-year degree in construction management because they didn't want to be taking Algebra III their senior year.

Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for them. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm of the opinion that there's still a lot of people in Kentucky with the mindset that "An eighth-grade edumacation was good enough for daddy, and it's good enough for me." I see a lot of day-to-day evidence that my theory holds.

Forgive me if I don't feel sorry for them. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I'm of the opinion that there's still a lot of people in Kentucky with the mindset that "An eighth-grade edumacation was good enough for daddy, and it's good enough for me." I see a lot of day-to-day evidence that my theory holds.

I think you are very accurate on this point.

I think you are very accurate on this point.

I think that you are very accurate, too. That is where the chart that I posted above comes into play. On average, if you want to live AS WELL as your parents do now, you need to complete at least one category higher of education (including vocational training.) This has been a big push at our school this year and, admittedly, have even been eye opening for me.

I guess a lot of 18 year-olds have a tough time with delayed gratification.

In the book The Millionaire Next Door, 30 characteristics of millionaires , grades in school placed 30 of 30. Last place! Number one, Honesty, kinda surprising, general thought is some cheat their way to top, but the dishonest traits that took them there, is what brings them down.