Students sent home for inappropriate t-shirts

Hey, but it was a Mexican holiday. Forget about the fact they were celebrating it in America. Seriously, how much sense does that make?
I have an idea Hoopy... you and I will go to Meh-hee-co City for July 4th with American flag shirts and pout at Meh-hee-kins that aren't wearing red, white and blue.

I'm curious how long we'd stay out of the pokey.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So can we wear a US flag shirt during Ramadan, we sure dont want to make the Islamic people mad. I work with some Mexicans and they say it is stupid of what happened. They come to work wearing US flag shirts all of the time, run a press, weld, and act as normal as anyone.

You are aware that one needs not be caucasian to be 100% American right? :ohbrother:

It seems funny to me about the name. Just a coincidence? No you dont have to be just white to be 100% American.

It seems funny to me about the name. Just a coincidence? No you dont have to be just white to be 100% American.
Whew... I can't say what a relief it will be to no longer feel the need to conceal my family tree and avoid exposure to direct sunlight...

When the United States gained New Mexico after the Mexican-American War in the late 1840s, 90% of all citizens in New Mexico spoke Spanish and undoubtedly a large number of those people had last names like "Rodriguez". By the U.S. taking over their homeland, they became U.S. citizens. That's been 150 years ago. Those people have been Americans longer than many of the Irish and Germans immigrants who some consider to have "American" names today.

I realize this was in California, but the point remains the same: Just because the last name isn't the same as mine doesn't make them less of an American citizen.

Edited by gchs_uk9

When the United States gained New Mexico after the Mexican-American War in the late 1840s, 90% of all citizens in New Mexico spoke Spanish and undoubtedly a large number of those people had last names like "Rodriguez". By the U.S. taking over their homeland, they became U.S. citizens. That's been 150 years ago. Those people have been Americans longer than many of Irish and Germans who some consider to have "American" names today.

I realize this was in California, but the point remains the same: Just because the last name isn't the same as mine doesn't make them less of an American citizen.

No, but sending kids home just because they have on colors and symbols of their nation, in there nation, would lead one to believe they're not truly an American citizen. If they are, they're not a very good one.

Here is the Assistant Principals last name.

The five teens were sitting at a table outside Live Oak High School in Morgan Hill, Calif., on Wednesday morning when Assistant Principal Miguel Rodriguez asked two of them to remove their American flag bandannas, one of their parents told FoxNews.com. The boys complied, but were asked to accompany Rodriguez to the principal's office.

Seems he is not 100% American. IMO

What is "100% American"? The American Indians?

But I do agree that it seems the pricipal may be of Mexican desent, and may have had her own interests in mind when she sent the kids home.

No, but sending kids home just because they have on colors and symbols of their nation, in there nation, would lead one to believe they're not truly an American citizen. If they are, they're not a very good one.

I'm not interested in whether the kids were sent home. That's a school decision and I wasn't there. I was simply commenting on the post that said Principal Rodriguez's name didn't sound American so he obviously was against the "American" students.

In all seriousness... I could understand a potential conflict by kids wearing French flags on Cinco de Mayo... (it was the French the Mexicans defeated on May 5 way back when that started the holiday.) But American flags??? I don't get it at all. :idunno:

We agree completely. A school has the right to disallow anything that can cause problems. The wearing of a shirt stating nothing but the country's name or flag doesn't fall under the problem category.

:thumb:

I have no problem with anyone at school wearing any other flag on the US flag day, 4th of July ect, as long as there is nothing that is in poor taste or disrepectful. Same goes for anyone off of school grounds. I agree with one fo your examples, the one about "show me your papers", but I find no problem with a shirt saying "protect our boarders", although I see where some may try and find a way to find offense in that one.

In all seriousness... I could understand a potential conflict by kids wearing French flags on Cinco de Mayo... (it was the French the Mexicans defeated on May 5 way back when that started the holiday.) But American flags??? I don't get it at all. :idunno:

Seriously, you would think they had Nazi swastikas on their shirts or something. Getting sent home because your an American, wearing an Amercian flag shirt in America. You gotta love this country.

I'm not interested in whether the kids were sent home. That's a school decision and I wasn't there. I was simply commenting on the post that said Principal Rodriguez's name didn't sound American so he obviously was against the "American" students.

Forget the name, his actions said enough.

Forget the name, his actions said enough.

Fair enough and I'm inclined to agree that his actions were wrong. But I'm sure many will use his last name as an opportunity to blast all others whose name doesn't sound very American when in fact some have been Americans for centuries.