Students sent home for inappropriate t-shirts

Fair enough and I'm inclined to agree that his actions were wrong. But I'm sure many will use his last name as an opportunity to blast all others whose name doesn't sound very American when in fact some have been Americans for centuries.

There really is no such thing as an American last name is there. Every last name is of European descent in some form or fasion. I'd say you're right though, they'll get a free ride because of their last name.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There really is no such thing as an American last name is there. Every last name is of European descent in some form or fasion. I'd say you're right though, they'll get a free ride because of their last name.

That's not what I was saying at all.

I don't think the principal or others will get a free ride because of their name. In fact, I believe there will be a great deal of vitriol because the man's last name is Rodriguez.

If his name was Michael Roberts instead of Miguel Rodriguez, people would complain about what he did but you likely wouldn't hear as many comments like "Seems he is not 100% American. IMO"

If people want to complain about what was done, fine, go ahead. There is much to fuss about. But saying the man wasn't American because of his last name is cheap and offensive and showcases very little thought beyond a xenophobic, knee-jerk reaction.

First, it was a dumb decision to send them home or make any other kind of issue of the shirts. Second, don't kid yourselves. The timing was intended to provoke a response from the students of Mexican heritage. Third, my guess is that the assistant principal wanted to head off trouble. Bad call, but I wouldn't question his patriotism over it.

First, it was a dumb decision to send them home or make any other kind of issue of the shirts. Second, don't kid yourselves. The timing was intended to provoke a response from the students of Mexican heritage. Third, my guess is that the assistant principal wanted to head off trouble. Bad call, but I wouldn't question his patriotism over it.

:thumb:

That's not what I was saying at all.

I don't think the principal or others will get a free ride because of their name. In fact, I believe there will be a great deal of vitriol because the man's last name is Rodriguez.

If his name was Michael Roberts instead of Miguel Rodriguez, people would complain about what he did but you likely wouldn't hear as many comments like "Seems he is not 100% American. IMO"

If people want to complain about what was done, fine, go ahead. There is much to fuss about. But saying the man wasn't American because of his last name is cheap and offensive and showcases very little thought beyond a xenophobic, knee-jerk reaction.

In essence, that's exactly what you're saying. Ignorant people will focus on their last name instead of what they did wrong, and the people in charge will be afraid to reprimand these administrators because they're afraid they'll end up looking like the ignorant people that's bashing their last name. Hence, they'll get a free ride because of their last name.

Not 100% American because he sent kids home for wearing the American flag, I don't care if his last name was Hatfield or McCoy........................

Now you're getting personal. :D

Are Amercians of Mexican heritage offended by an American flag?

If the students of Mexican heritage are offended by an American flag, the losers need to get the heck out of our country. Anyone that caters to their offense needs to follow them as well.

This country is going down the tube faster than many want to believe because of incidents like this. Makes me mad everytime I go to lowes and see every sign in the place with spanish on them. It's not going to be too long before white and black americans are in the minority in this country.

This is why a well-defined dress policy is required. If those wearing Mexican colors were within policy - fine. If those wearing shirts with the US flag were within policy then it should not have been made an issue of. If all were within DRESS policy - then let it go.

But if an actions were inappropriate or out of policy, such as taunting, name-calling, antagonizing other students, etc. then that should be handled under the BEHAVIOR policy guidelines.

Good policies are needed in situations like this.

This country is going down the tube faster than many want to believe because of incidents like this. Makes me mad everytime I go to lowes and see every sign in the place with spanish on them. It's not going to be too long before white and black americans are in the minority in this country.

Black Americans already are in the minority. :idunno: There are more Hispanic Americans than African Americans, or were you referring to illegal immigrants?

Are Amercians of Mexican heritage offended by an American flag?

My guess is that Americans of Mexican heritage are offended by a wide range of things, as are Americans of every other heritage. If they are like most people, and I suspect they are, I would expect them to be offended by anything that was done with the intent to offend them. It is the intent to offend that is the offensive part. If I were them, I'd be offended by a bunch of yahoos making the assumption that an American flag would offend me. The coordinated attire was intended to offend. I would support their right to be offensive, but make no mistake. They were trying to offend.

If the students of Mexican heritage are offended by an American flag, the losers need to get the heck out of our country. Anyone that caters to their offense needs to follow them as well.

I'm pretty sure it is their country too. Live with it.