Students sent home for inappropriate t-shirts

Apparently, you are not permitted to wear an American flag t-shirt or bandana, .... on Cinco De Mayo. Any other day it is okay, but not that day.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36981179?GT1=43001

I really don't believe that a Mexican-American would be sent home for wearing a Mexican flag shirt on July 4th if they were in school. I don't know what to say. I wasn't aware that it was an American holiday.

I also wonder if it would be offensive to wear a Union Jack on July 4th?

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As quoted in newspaper.

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July

Can you believe these people think they deserve an apology. Where the heck do they think they live. we dont live in America anymore. Thank you local ACLU for that.

As quoted in newspaper.

But to many Mexican-American students at Live Oak, this was a big deal. They say they were offended by the five boys and others for wearing American colors on a Mexican holiday.

"I think they should apologize cause it is a Mexican Heritage Day," Annicia Nunez, a Live Oak High student, said. "We don't deserve to be get disrespected like that. We wouldn't do that on Fourth of July

Can you believe these people think they deserve an apology. Where the heck do they think they live. we dont live in America anymore. Thank you local ACLU for that.

If Mexico is so wonderful, would we be having the immigration debate right now?

While I fully believe that the boys were making a statement I have no problem with it as long as it doesn't violate the school's dress code. Equally, I'm cool with the Latinos rocking Mexico's colors any day of the year they want.

The person that made the decision to send the boys home has to be re-evaluted to determine if he has the ability to make proper decisions.

I would like to hear from the principal, to see if his story of events matches the boys' story.

If the version in accurate, I would agree with asking the boys to remove their bandanas, IF that is against the school dress code (as it would be at my school).

Asking the boys to remove shirts with American flags on them for no other reason than that they were wearing the shirts on Cinco de Mayo is completely inappropriate.