Why has the KHSAA not done this?

hardball

...and maybe it has, but I don't know about it. And if it has someone please enlighten me.

Why doesnt the KHSAA monitor (or count) the number of student athletes at major private schools who compete at the varsity level and determine if these same students attended public or private schools at the elementary or middle school level?

I'm sure this will draw the ire of several, but to me, when a student athlete transfers to/enrolls in a private school as a 9th, 8th or 7th grader, something isn't right. After all, if public school education is good enough for a child's formative years, how does that same child or the child's parents make the decision that suddenly it isn't?

And yes, I know that none of this explicitly means that any middle schooler that enrolls in private schooling has been recruited. But if a private school's varsity basketball or football roster is comprised of a high percentage of kids that attended a different middle school system, should that not raise some eyebrows?

Anywho, if anyone knows of a study such as this that has been conducted, I'd love to hear it or read it. Because if only a handfull of LexCath's (or T's, or X's) varsity athletes came from different middle schools, why is there an argument at all?

But on the flipside, if a huge chunk of these schools' varsity athletes competed at different middle schools, then there is definately a problem that needs to be addressed.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some students attending a public grade school and then attending a private Catholic high school are life-long members of a Catholic parish.

Some students attending a Catholic grade school and high school are not Catholic and have never been Catholic.

Some students attending a Catholic high school have attended both a public and Catholic grade school sometime in the previous 8 years.

Some students attending a public high school have attended a Catholic grade school.

Some students have brothers or sisters attending a public school while they attend a private school and vice-versa.

You want stats for all those categories?

Nope, just stats showing how many private school athletes were public school athletes the 2 or 3 years before they entered high school.

Add this one to your list. How many public school kids went to a Catholic school through the eighth grade and then transferred to a public school? Why isn't that a problem for anyone? What you will find is that the number of kids that leave Catholic schools for public schools after the eighth grade is much higher than the number of kids that leave the publics for a Catholic school. At our parish a higher number of kids attend Ballard than any other high school.

The Trinity program lists the parish or church affiliation for all members of the team. The percentage of non Catholics for the football team is LOWER than for the school as a whole.

If the vast majority of Trinity's varsity football players played their middle school ball at T's feeder schools, then there is not a problem that I see. That's my point. I would just be interested to know the #'s.

But, if there is a varsity sport anywhere at any private school that has larger numbers of athletes from feeder programs other than their own, then that's a problem.

And yes, I'm sure many students leave Catholic schooling for public schools, but I'm strictly referring to athletes.

Why is it that public school supporters insist on turning a blind eye on the number of students that leave parochial schools after 8th grade for the private schools? That's not a poetntial problem and there couldn't possibly be anything fishy about it.

Sure seems like a double standard to me.

Ask the question why they are transferring after the middle school years. If it is for athletic reasons or academic, then the school they leave better get their act together and figure out why students are leaving and work harder to fix the problem so they will stay.

Ask the question why they are transferring after the middle school years. If it is for athletic reasons or academic, then the school they leave better get their act together and figure out why students are leaving and work harder to fix the problem so they will stay.

I would say that if you are referring to Catholic grade school students transfering to public schhols for middle school or high school the overwhelming reason is money (tuition cost) not athletic or academic. High school tuition cost are significantly higher than grade school cost.

If you are referring to public grade school students transferring to Private or Catholic high schools I would say it would be for the disciplined atmosphere.

Why is it that public school supporters insist on turning a blind eye on the number of students that leave parochial schools after 8th grade for the private schools? That's not a poetntial problem and there couldn't possibly be anything fishy about it.

Sure seems like a double standard to me.

The reason its a bigger deal if a kid goes to a private high school after public middle school is money. Public schools don't charge tuition. Thats why it becomes fishy when somehow a kid all of a sudden gets into a private school after middle school. I'd like to see a list like that as well. but here is the fact. Its not only private schools recruiting. Its public schools also. Especially in Louisville. Lets work on stopping everyone from recruiting, not just privates.

Add this one to your list. How many public school kids went to a Catholic school through the eighth grade and then transferred to a public school? Why isn't that a problem for anyone? What you will find is that the number of kids that leave Catholic schools for public schools after the eighth grade is much higher than the number of kids that leave the publics for a Catholic school. At our parish a higher number of kids attend Ballard than any other high school.

The Trinity program lists the parish or church affiliation for all members of the team. The percentage of non Catholics for the football team is LOWER than for the school as a whole.

I will tell you why it is not a problem....tutition.

Of course there are no "sholarships" and only 50% can be paid by a grant in aid....MONEY is an issue..........

Here's a scenario for all you private bashers

2 young men (brothers) both attend parochial grade schools. Both are QB for their CSAA team and both are very good.

Their father (who was a man of some means so money is not an issue) openly shops his sons talents to schools in Jefferson County, including private schools. Only when he has been convinced that schools will do what they need to do to highlight his sons does he (and I assume his sons) decide what schools the boys will attend. The older one went to a school that had a tradition of very good QB's that loved to throw the ball and score points. The other went to another school where the entire offense was changed to a pass oriented attack to highlight the QB.

Now please explain to me how this is not recruitment and how it is not as heinous you all seem to think it is when some one starts attending a private school in the 9th grade.

shops his sons talent to public schools? Its recruiting if a public school coach shows up to the csaa game to talk to this kids dad about coming to their school. If coaches are telling this kids dad that he will be the starter and what not then yes thats recruiting. I'll tell you right now that private schools aren't the biggest recruiters in Jeferson County. Most of the recruiting is done by publics. Sit down at a youth football game or even a practice. I remember going to watch highview games a few years ago. I could name about 4 schools I would see up there each saturday talking to players, parents. The most aggressive one was a private but a small private.

In a nutshell, look at it like this. If school A (private or public) has a basketball team with 90% of its players being "homegrown" talent, fine. Also, if school A has a football team with 90% of its players being "homegrown," again, fine. But let's say the baseball team's roster, year after year, consists of only 60% of the players from that school's feeder programs?

1. Is there a problem? Yes.

2. Is someone recruiting? Yes

3. Is it the school that is recruiting? Maybe

4. Is it legal? No

Here's why everyone is so upset. If it is a private school or school with open enrollment, the answer to #4 is yes.

Here's a scenario for all you private bashers

2 young men (brothers) both attend parochial grade schools. Both are QB for their CSAA team and both are very good.

Their father (who was a man of some means so money is not an issue) openly shops his sons talents to schools in Jefferson County, including private schools. Only when he has been convinced that schools will do what they need to do to highlight his sons does he (and I assume his sons) decide what schools the boys will attend. The older one went to a school that had a tradition of very good QB's that loved to throw the ball and score points. The other went to another school where the entire offense was changed to a pass oriented attack to highlight the QB.

Now please explain to me how this is not recruitment and how it is not as heinous you all seem to think it is when some one starts attending a private school in the 9th grade.

Of course that is wrong and it goes on all the time. The father who is obviously living vicariously through his kids is the root of the problem in the case. But I can also give you cases where kids are recruited, so nothing new there.

Once again you are missing the train, certainly recruiting is a problem but not the whole problem. You just want, like most private athletic supporters, to pick out certain parts to argue.