Why has the KHSAA not done this?

hardball

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happens then if all kids are given a choice and say for example they all want to go to a select few schools? That leaves other school numbers dropping big time. Do you shut down that school? what do you do? Many schools in Louisville had huge population drops when open enrollment was started. Many of them were on the verge of closing. Is that a good thing?

If the school has so little to offer that no one wants to go there... then yes, I'd say that closing the school may be a good thing.

If you go to a restaurant where the parking lot is crowded, the food is bad, the service is marginal, the atmosphere is run down and uninviting, I doubt thta you'd leave a hefty tip, and I doubt seriously that you'd ever go back unless you were starving and that was your only choice.

Why do we insist on forcing kids to attend schools that do not perform up to their potential... that let troublemakers disrupt the learning environment... that are not permitted to teach the values upon which our country was founded and grew into greatness?

Where did we get the idea that this is the best or right thing to do?

But its often not the school or teachers. Its the students, neighborhood that make a school what it is.
I agree 100%. I know many heroic teachers personally sacrificing to make a difference in very difficult situations. My comments are not directed at any of the noble educators willing to make such a commitment with their lives and careers. They are to be heralded and celebrated.

What I want to know, is why should a parent willingly subject their own precious child to such an unfriendly learning environment if they have any better choices.

It's one thing for an educated adult to choose to make such a personal sacrifice, it's entirely another to insist that parents make this sacrifice with their children.

Why should the KHSAA be able to tell any parent, "No, your child started in soandso school district, he/she is committed to compete for soandso school in that district" especially when the current rule allows them to switch schools up to the 9th grade?

If there is corruption of the rules in the current system, let's persue and punish the offenders and fix the problem. BUT PLEASE, let's not get into micro-managing people's lives to the point that we eliminate our freedoms.

Remember Fastbreak, school athletics are a privilige, not a right.

Rules do need to be put in place and while they are enforced for some...they are not enforced to ALL.

I agree 100%.

The rules should be enforced for ALL... bottomline.

If people could see through an uncloudy lens every single school and coach who is guilty of violating the established rules, there would be a great deal of shock and outrage. Some of those crying foul the loudest may in fact be those most guilty.

My point is that if we cannot evenly enforce the rules we already have, how is adding new rules to the stack going to fix anything?

Fastbreak,

I do miss your pics and humor along with the former A-train!...hahahahaha.. :laugh:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah, I guess I am a lot more fun skewering my buddies through the magic of Photoshop than I am on my soapbox aren't I?

Sorry Pal... :thumb:

You ever make it up to the BIG city, let me know... I'll buy lunch. ;)

What happens then if all kids are given a choice and say for example they all want to go to a select few schools? That leaves other school numbers dropping big time. Do you shut down that school? what do you do? Many schools in Louisville had huge population drops when open enrollment was started. Many of them were on the verge of closing. Is that a good thing?

In Jefferson Co., schools who are experiencing enrollment drops are generally a result of the population shifting. 30 years ago, Valley High School and Jeffersontown High School were among the larger high schools in Jefferson Co.. Today, both are much, much smaller which can primarily be attributed to the population aging in Valley Station and the older part of J-town where J-town HS is located. Not near the number of school age children live in either area that compared 30 years ago.

I grew up near J-town and kids were running around all over the place back when I was growing up. Today, I would guess more homes are occupied by retirees whose children are now living in the East End than you will find homes with school age children.

For the record:

Trinity's program lists nine players in this year's program NOT from what looks to me like a Catholic school grade school.

St. X's program lists seven this year.

Doesn't seem like a lot to me when you have 100 kids.

Thanks, just the kind of numbers I was wondering about. That doesn't seem like much of a problem to me.

But I'll say again, it's the individual programs that have the inordinate amount of players on the roster from "outside" feeder schools that are raising the suspicions, not the private schools themselves. These individual programs may be the ones taking advantage of the system...

I'll take you up on that Fastbreak...maybe sooner than you think! ;)
I'm looking forward to it...

You're not like some "Extreme Eating Champion" or something are you?

I saw this little 100 pound Japanese woman eat 50 hot dogs on TV the other day... It's no problem really, we may just need to find a good smorgasboard. :p

...and maybe it has, but I don't know about it. And if it has someone please enlighten me.

Why doesnt the KHSAA monitor (or count) the number of student athletes at major private schools who compete at the varsity level and determine if these same students attended public or private schools at the elementary or middle school level?

I'm sure this will draw the ire of several, but to me, when a student athlete transfers to/enrolls in a private school as a 9th, 8th or 7th grader, something isn't right. After all, if public school education is good enough for a child's formative years, how does that same child or the child's parents make the decision that suddenly it isn't?

And yes, I know that none of this explicitly means that any middle schooler that enrolls in private schooling has been recruited. But if a private school's varsity basketball or football roster is comprised of a high percentage of kids that attended a different middle school system, should that not raise some eyebrows?

Anywho, if anyone knows of a study such as this that has been conducted, I'd love to hear it or read it. Because if only a handfull of LexCath's (or T's, or X's) varsity athletes came from different middle schools, why is there an argument at all?

But on the flipside, if a huge chunk of these schools' varsity athletes competed at different middle schools, then there is definately a problem that needs to be addressed.

I have looked at this a number of times over the past few years. The percentage of members of the football team that are from non Catholic backgrounds (based on the parish affiliation listed in program) is always lower than the percentage for the school as a whole.