Greenup County Cheerleaders - National Champs!

PureFan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congragulations. Is there a video of the squad we could watch? And can someone explain to me how this National Champion thing works. Owen County's middle school squad also won a National Championship in Indy.

UCA has a web site with all performances, they edit the first pyramid, other than that the complete performance, and yes this is a legitimate national competition as opposed to groups that offers four or five locations to attend to be crowned 'national champs'. This is the competition on ESPN, usually first aired in April. Try this web address http://uca.varsity.com/Nationals.aspx

Here's my long but complete explanation from years of experience. There are numerous "national championships" pretty much every week all over the country. A squad could presumably win a "national championship" by virtue of being the only squad in their division--I know this personally. I could create the "TTL Cheerleading Competition" and crown a National Champion.

That being said, the only true NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in my eyes, and the eyes of many current and former cheerleaders and others, are the UCA National Championships in Florida. These are the epitome of the cheerleading world and the same organization where the UK Cheerleaders have monopolized the college division.

The reason there could be more than one UCA champion is the different divisions, much like classes in football. They have a co-ed division, small varisty, large all-girls varsity, junior varsity, etc. This is not to take away from the accomplishment, just to explain it. There are literally hundreds if not thousands, squads all across the country that try and get to these championships. You have to win a smaller regional competition before you can even be considered for Nationals.

The Greenup area has long been known for its cheerleading excellence. When I was a hs cheerleader in the early '90s, we won a competition in Bloomington, IN, and got a bid to Nationals. We raised money and saved and worked our tails off. We chartered a bus and rode from Kentucky to Sea World, where the competion was held then. We performed and did very well, but we were clearly not the best. We were two places away from getting to perform on ESPN, so we were so disappointed! Anyway, the Greenup cheerleaders won the year we were there, if I'm not mistaken. They have been very good for a long time and that takes a lot of commitment from the entire community. You should all be very proud of them and I know first hand how hard they work. Great job girls and parents!:thumb: You guys can honestly say you are National Champs!

Here's my long but complete explanation from years of experience. There are numerous "national championships" pretty much every week all over the country. A squad could presumably win a "national championship" by virtue of being the only squad in their division--I know this personally. I could create the "TTL Cheerleading Competition" and crown a National Champion.

That being said, the only true NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in my eyes, and the eyes of many current and former cheerleaders and others, are the UCA National Championships in Florida. These are the epitome of the cheerleading world and the same organization where the UK Cheerleaders have monopolized the college division.

The reason there could be more than one UCA champion is the different divisions, much like classes in football. They have a co-ed division, small varisty, large all-girls varsity, junior varsity, etc. This is not to take away from the accomplishment, just to explain it. There are literally hundreds if not thousands, squads all across the country that try and get to these championships. You have to win a smaller regional competition before you can even be considered for Nationals.

The Greenup area has long been known for its cheerleading excellence. When I was a hs cheerleader in the early '90s, we won a competition in Bloomington, IN, and got a bid to Nationals. We raised money and saved and worked our tails off. We chartered a bus and rode from Kentucky to Sea World, where the competion was held then. We performed and did very well, but we were clearly not the best. We were two places away from getting to perform on ESPN, so we were so disappointed! Anyway, the Greenup cheerleaders won the year we were there, if I'm not mistaken. They have been very good for a long time and that takes a lot of commitment from the entire community. You should all be very proud of them and I know first hand how hard they work. Great job girls and parents!:thumb: You guys can honestly say you are National Champs!

As a former cheerleading coach, I entirely concur. UCA is the gold standard. If there is any doubt, compare the performances of the UCA champs with any other group and you will see the difference.

WOW!!! Anyone that questions whether these young women are athletes or not needs to watch this video! The way they kept their composure after losing their music and finished their routine with the crowd counting the final dance sequence is incredible! I have to give kudos to the Greenup crowd, as well. What a great showing for the state of Kentucky! Watch their routine and make sure your volume is turned up.

http://launch.producerhq.com/1684

Congrats to Greenup :thumb:

I believe Boyd also placed in some type of national competition ?

Could someone more knowledgeable explain to me how these cheer leading competitions work ? Give me an idea of how the tournaments are set up ? And most importantly, does anyone know roughly how many teams will win a national title of some sort this year ?

I've always wondered why the cheer leaders didn't do it like other sports. State championships based on school size ?

Between these girls, UK, Morehead, and NKU it sure seems like KY dominates the cheer world. Any particular reason?

Hard work. Dunbar has been national champ, Greenup, North Laurel, etc. They see how the UK cheer squad works so hard and is rewarded with tremendous (actually dominating) success.

My daughter cheered as a 6th grader for North Laurel middle. The finished 6th in the nation that year, ... and were disappointed! When winning 6 straight state titles isn't enough, you know the expectations are high.

Greenup has a long standing tradition of excellence. To see so many KY squads do well is just a tremendous accomplishment brought on by countless hours of hard work.

Could someone more knowledgeable explain to me how these cheer leading competitions work ? Give me an idea of how the tournaments are set up ? And most importantly, does anyone know roughly how many teams will win a national title of some sort this year ?

I've always wondered why the cheer leaders didn't do it like other sports. State championships based on school size ?

They do it at the national level, and in KY they do have different divisions based on enrollment. However, some schools cheer up/down a division and for some reason, it isn't a problem.

UCA is the gold standard for cheerleading competitions. The best squads want this title as it is the 'Big Dog'. It is sort of like comparing the NCAA tourney to the NIT. Nothing compares to the big dance, and UCA is it.

The competitions are set up where a team has to place at a certain level in a regional competition to qualify for the UCA nationals. Then it is paired down after the first round and just the top teams are brought in for the finals, which are shown on ESPN. They have judges who judget their routine and assign points for various areas of emphasis. The 2 & 1/2 minute routine features dance, cheer and tumbling and is quite remarkable to watch. I know from my daughter's experience that these girls spend countless hours, 6-7 days per week for 9 months to get there.

UCA is the gold standard for Cheerleading competitions. They have been in existence for 30 years. The squads compete in various categories. Such as small varsity, medium varsity, large varsity, super varsity, coed, etc. This is based on how many girls are on a squad. So a school with 10 cheerleaders does not compete against a school with 30 cheerleaders. Most schools must compete and win in a regional or state tourney in order to advance to nationals. I believe there were 18 different classes this year. (over 400 squads from all across the country.) The UCA National High School Cheerleading Competition is the only one aired by ESPN. It is usually on tv sometime in April. Check out UCA.Varsity.com for more information.

• 4 years later...

On the Varsity.com website there is a link for nationals competition pictures. On that page you can click a tab for schedule and results. They have each division and the results there. Southwestern won in one of the small school divisions with Perry Co Central,Pikeville, and Clay County in the top 10 or so in that division. I know over 50 Kentucky schools were there.