Greenup County Cheerleaders - National Champs!

PureFan

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Southwestern High (Pulaski) Won the Small Varsity Division II National Championship this year.

Meece Middle School (Somerset) Won the National Championship in their Class this year.

Each came home to a welcome home parade this week.

Edited by Jumper_Dad

Sorry if this has been covered before in this thread, but why does it seem like every HS gym I walk into across Ky has a cheerleading national champions banner in it? Seems like there must be a lot of Helms champions out there.

Their are a lot of classes based on school size, coed, team size and probably some other factors.

Also I think their are a couple different groups crowning National Champions each year.

Probably no more than football champions in Kentucky :lol2:

Well, at least a single organizational body was doing the crowning in this case.

Well aren't you a ray of sunshine, lol.

Sorry, I just have a hard time with it. You know how many gyms I've been to throughout the years while doing my job. The math just don't add up.

I don't care who wins what, it's like saying the AAU champ is the true national champ Vs others. If you win an AAU national title, GREAT JOB! If you win a national title from somewhere else, GREAT JOB! Same in this, whoever wins or places well, did a GREAT JOB! :)

That doesn't change the fact that it leaves people wondering which one to take seriously. But I see what you're doing there.

This competition in Florida is hosted by UCA and the NHSCC is the oldest and regarded as the national championships for high school. Its the one thats been featured on ESPN for years. UCA also hosts the college national championship and it has divisions just like the high school. This is this years college results for D1 Coed schools

http://www.varsity.com/uploads/events/eventid_1925/files/DivisionIA_Coed.pdf

Lots of major college squads in there but that is just one division of several that had a college national champions just like the high schools.

Now some of these high school divisions are a lot competitive than others. That's just the way it works. Kentucky high schools have a lot of titles because there are some very good squads in the state. I would put Kentucky in the top 5 overall as far as high school programs and a lot of it is the exposure that UK brings being a high level college program with a ton of college titles.

Edited by Jmatt

This competition in Florida is hosted by UCA and the NHSCC is the oldest and regarded as the national championships for high school. Its the one thats been featured on ESPN for years. UCA also hosts the college national championship and it has divisions just like the high school. This is this years college results for D1 Coed schools

http://www.varsity.com/uploads/events/eventid_1925/files/DivisionIA_Coed.pdf

Lots of major college squads in there but that is just one division of several that had a college national champions just like the high schools.

Now some of these high school divisions are a lot competitive than others. That's just the way it works. Kentucky high schools have a lot of titles because there are some very good squads in the state. I would put Kentucky in the top 5 overall as far as high school programs and a lot of it is the exposure that UK brings being a high level college program with a ton of college titles.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've posted. I guess my real question is, if UCA is the top of the heap, why are they allowing so many other entities to award "national championships?"

By my unscientific math over the years based on all the gyms I've been to, it seems like about 30 different "national championships" are awarded to Ky schools each year. Doesn't leave much left over for other states. Or, maybe it does.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you've posted. I guess my real question is, if UCA is the top of the heap, why are they allowing so many other entities to award "national championships?"

By my unscientific math over the years based on all the gyms I've been to, it seems like about 30 different "national championships" are awarded to Ky schools each year. Doesn't leave much left over for other states. Or, maybe it does.

I have no idea if legally they could do anything about other organizations offering their "national championship". Like almost all high school sports, national titles are always subjective. There are always organizations looking to make money and these competitions are big money. If you look at the top schools in the KHSAA state championship, they are the schools that are here. UCA is the gold standard in this though and the majority of these high schools are the best the country has to offer. The best want to compete against the best and if you want that championship, this is where you go to find it.

Edited by Jmatt

I have no idea if legally they could do anything about other organizations offering their "national championship". Like almost all high school sports, national titles are always subjective. There are always organizations looking to make money and these competitions are big money. If you look at the top schools in the KHSAA state championship, they are the schools that are here. UCA is the gold standard in this though and the majority of these high schools are the best the country has to offer. The best want to compete against the best and if you want that championship, this is where you go to find it.

Thanks for the info. I just wonder because I have two high schools in the same town claiming national titles. It's in my nature to question such things.