Bracken 52 St. Patrick 50

They had one really good one at the end when Klee hit her foul shots making it a 1 point game with 16.7 sec on the clock. But when the ball was inbounded, St. Pat fouled BC in the backcourt, strangely there was only 6 sec. on the clock. So shouldn't that have been a 10 second call if Bracken had not crossed the line yet? Where did that 10 seconds on the clock go?

Not making excuses, St Pat could have won this game at the FT line when the refs finally started calling some fouls under their basket, but their shots weren’t falling. But really, if you are going to host a tournament that results in a team advancing to the next level, shouldn't you be required to have responsible adults running the clock and not the younger brother of a Sophomore BC player?

I will say that I still think St Pat is the better team but BC got a lot of breaks. Referees probably not calling the fouls on them they should have because they were tired of having to explain each one to Coach K.

They came ready and rested after only playing two games through the week that they didn't have to put much effort into at all (yet another break for BC). I wasn't at the first game but I'm guessing they played their subs a lot at that one too. Not much "pressure" in their schedule this past week.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: Sounds like nothing but excuses:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: That's why St. Pat is so loved in the 10th.:thumb:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, Mason County hasn't had that round robin tournament at Christmas since 2001. So since Douglas wasn't even coaching then, I find it hard to believe that she pulled out of it at the "last minute'. After that MC was hosting a tournament in early December which St. Pat played in until 2004. If St. Pat pulled out of the early December tourament in 2004, (I say if b/c I don't know why they weren't in it in 2004) then it had nothing to do with coach Dougals since she didn't even start coaching until 2007. So maybe you should do some research before you try to discredit her.

As far as the team camp goes, well she isn't coach Orme and he was the one that always played his team in that summer camp. Being that she isn't coach Orme she wanted to change things up a little and play some different competition. Plus that was the summer after Mason County beat St. Pat by fifty leaving their starters in most the game and Chambers in until the last threee minutes, so did she really owe it to Mason County to come play in their oven of a gym in the summer. Lots of teams have pulled out of that summer camp. You yourself said in a previous post on another thread that the Mason County team camp was a joke with only five teams and how hot it was in the fieldhouse.......wan to read that post? #82, I believe. Really a lot of insight into why a team wouldn't play in it... hot gym, no water coolers for hot, dehydrated players..... your thoughts, not mine. Really read it. What a hypocryte. I think you owe coach Douglas an apology. Saying things that aren't remotely true about her..... shame on you!

http://www.bluegrasspreps.com/showthread.php?p=3445482#post3445482

Why aren't you raggin' on all the other teams that have dropped out of the summer camp over the last few years?

You know, it is obvious that you are not a St. Pat fan but do you really have to lower yourself to insults and inaccuracies about Coach Douglas and her team? Bracken County was very lucky to have won that game last night. If you want to be happy for them, then be happy but quit being a sore winner.

Here is what happened believe it or not. Mason never had a problem with St Pat before the Coach Douglas era. Mason had a Christmas tourney until 2002 and they discontinued it and started a Mountain Dew shootout which was usually the first weekend of the season. It featured two home town teams (Mason/St Pat) and they would play the other two teams. St Pat played every year at the same time until last season when St Pat could not play the first weekend. Mason re-arranged the shootout until the third weekend of December just for St Pat and then they said they were not going to play at all leaving Mason with a shootout without a team late in the season.

On the summer camp, Coach Ormes always played in the camp because I guess he thought playing six games with 3 miles of the school was not a bad idea. Yes, Coach Douglas can play in any summer camp she pleases. When she took over she knew St Pat was scheduled in the camp. The schedule was in her hands and about a week before the camp Mason got wind of the rumor that St Pat was not going to play. Mason was never contacted that they were not coming. Coach Buser contacted her and she said they were not going to play. Changing that schedule is a bummer because I know I did it. As far as those hot gyms, they musy not have been that hot because St Pat used them for practice an awful lot.

Also, yes teams did drop out over the years but very few at the last minute. We just expected a little more from our cross town friends.

Edited by sumoroyal

Congratulations Lady Saints. Your still top notch and Coach Douglas your a class act. As for thinking Bracken could compete with NCC, you are delerious. I don't even think if you played them in the "Igloo" with your refs you would not even have a prayer. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

St. Pat was 20 pts better than Bracken also. I don't know why we even play ballgames in the 10th, should just let Mason County and St. Pat fans decide all the outcomes they always know the winner in advance.:laugh::puke:

IMO talks about the fifty point loss Mason beat St Pat by in 2007. That was under Coach Orme and his team won eight games that season. Not one of his best. Yes, I agree Coach Buser was not one to use her bench but eight girls scored for Mason that game and last year in the District tourney, St Pat only had nine girls scored in a beat down by St Pat over Mason. But Coach Douglas was not on the side line to suffer through that fifty point game. Coach Orme and Coach Buser are both gone so why is there a problem between the schools now with both having new coaches? The new coaches should not have to carry the old coaches baggage, should they?

Edited by mcpapa
Changed "Douglas" to "Buser" in next-to-last sentence

First of all, congratulations to the Bracken County Lady Bears and their coaches. It is a shame that either team had to lose this game. As for the past, that is all it is. As for the referees, it does not matter where you play, there are going to be bad calls. There are several reasons St. Pat lost this game. Some people just don't appreciate a very good high school basketball game, and that is what we got to see. Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

First of all, congratulations to the Bracken County Lady Bears and their coaches. It is a shame that either team had to lose this game. As for the past, that is all it is. As for the referees, it does not matter where you play, there are going to be bad calls. There are several reasons St. Pat lost this game. Some people just don't appreciate a very good high school basketball game, and that is what we got to see. Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.

Excellent post re. what must have been a very exciting and emotional game.

They had one really good one at the end when Klee hit her foul shots making it a 1 point game with 16.7 sec on the clock. But when the ball was inbounded, St. Pat fouled BC in the backcourt, strangely there was only 6 sec. on the clock. So shouldn't that have been a 10 second call if Bracken had not crossed the line yet? Where did that 10 seconds on the clock go?

Not making excuses, St Pat could have won this game at the FT line when the refs finally started calling some fouls under their basket, but their shots weren’t falling. But really, if you are going to host a tournament that results in a team advancing to the next level, shouldn't you be required to have responsible adults running the clock and not the younger brother of a Sophomore BC player?

I will say that I still think St Pat is the better team but BC got a lot of breaks. Referees probably not calling the fouls on them they should have because they were tired of having to explain each one to Coach K.

They came ready and rested after only playing two games through the week that they didn't have to put much effort into at all (yet another break for BC). I wasn't at the first game but I'm guessing they played their subs a lot at that one too. Not much "pressure" in their schedule this past week.

I'm not even from the 10th region but for a person not making excuses you sure have made a few. Let the winners enjoy their victory. If I read the posts right St. Pat's beat BC earlier in the year handily. If so, don't let the game be close so a call or 2 could make the difference.

Your right on it! Bracken could have folded up and let St. Patrick roll to the title after the 32 pt loss in the last meeting. But thse girls came to play tonight and never backed down. Bracken' first trip to state since 1991. :banana:

Does anyone know who the players were on that 91' team? How did they do in the state tourney that year? Thanks.

Last nights loss was certainly disheartening, but Coach Douglas and the Lady Saints are far too tough to pack in the season. The region is wide open and I fully expect them to be a factor. Congratulations to Bracken, but they have proven to be poor winners. You were as quiet as church mice leading up to the game, but big talkers after.

6.8 seconds left when the foul was made in the back court. Since facts seem to be foreign to you, let me elaborate: 16.7 seconds minus 6.8 seconds= 9.9 seconds. 9.9 seconds does not equal 10, which is why there's no 10 second call.

You seem to have trouble with officials. In the first game between Bracken & St. Pat this year, you got on here & griped about your team not getting calls when they shot nearly 20 more free throws. In the game tonight St. Pat shot more free throws than Bracken (I believe 24-19), yet here you are again--blabbering on with excuse after excuse (the refs, the timekeeper, Coach Kelsch complaining, the refs again, the dog ate your homework, etc.) and then having the audacity to say, "Not making excuses."

How about I give you this dose of reality: Bracken County outplayed St. Pat tonight and won the game.

Last nights loss was certainly disheartening, but Coach Douglas and the Lady Saints are far too tough to pack in the season. The region is wide open and I fully expect them to be a factor. Congratulations to Bracken, but they have proven to be poor winners. You were as quiet as church mice leading up to the game, but big talkers after.

Sorry. How stupid of us to not talk ourselves up (or our opponents down) before actually proving something on the court. :rolleyes:

I noticed in the prediction thread that you questioned how anyone could possibly predict Bracken to beat St. Pat after the first game "that was never really that close" and the 32-point game @ Villa Madonna.

So congratulations, you won the pre-game talk-it-up contest!

Edited by Randy Parker

How dare you excusing Mark of not running the clock right. I wont metion my name but i'm the guy that sits next to Mark at the table at each game for the past 4 yrs. He does a fine job and don't make excuses. Our girls played hard and deseved to win.

First off I want to say this was an outstanding basketball game.

I talked to Coack K before the game and he can an outstanding game plan. Coach K had St Patrick scouted and knew what they were going to do. They 1-3-1 zone really was a great call.

The key play of the game was the 3 point basket at the end of the half by Myer. This cut the 5 point St Pat lead to 2. That was the turning point of the game.

Saint Patrick really struggled on the free throw line I don't know the numbers but if they make a few more free throws they advance to Richmond.

Having Anne Klee on the bench really hurt St. Patrick she didn't play much of the 2nd and 3rd quarter.

The Paynes Sisters are the gas in the car and if they are struggling it's hard for St. Pat to win, it seemed like Douglas tried to force the issue and few times and turned the ball over. The good news is for St. Patrick their season isn't over, they will see Bracken Co again in the district most likely.

The Lady Saints need to work on facing a zone, I really think more 10th region teams will throw this look at them.

The atmosphere was great last night and it was a Classic Final.

Again Congrats to Bracken Co first trip to the All A State Since 1991.

The Lady Saints will use this as momentum and motivation and get ready for the second part of their season.

Congrats to Coach K and excellent Coach and a great guy!

Good Luck in Richmond Lady Bears!