LA Evacuee is Ruled Ineligible to Play for Holy Cross

fabfour

Kit Andrews told me today that the KHSAA ruled that unless his family pays for his tuition, he is not eligible to play.

Holy Cross has held some fund raisers to cover his tuition, but the money must come from outside the HC community.

Channel 12 will be running a story on this soon.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every where you turn, kids are being ruled ineligible by the KHSAA. Makes me wonder how on earth so many kids got ruled eligible in some parts of the state in the 'recent' past.

Personally, I think if there is another AMENDMENT to be made it should be to facilitate/observe/monitor the things going on below the high school level. If the kids are allowed to participate in a KHSAA sanctioned event, then they should become within the structure and observance of KHSAA policies.

As of now, the KHSAA turns the other cheek to middle school aged students and their participation in high school sports. It is this area that the real 'recruitment' can happen and places stockpile their youth movement.

Just when you think the KHSAA is doing the right thing in letting these kids from the Gulf area play immediately they go ahead and pull a stunt like this! The KHSAA sickens me as they are going right after the kids who attend private schools for whatever season. The kid has been through enough and went to a private school in N.O. so he should be able to go to one here and play!

I would hope everyone who thinks the KHSAA is doing this kid wrong will flood their phone lines Monday!

Just when you think the KHSAA is doing the right thing in letting these kids from the Gulf area play immediately they go ahead and pull a stunt like this! The KHSAA sickens me as they are going right after the kids who attend private schools for whatever season. The kid has been through enough and went to a private school in N.O. so he should be able to go to one here and play!

I would hope everyone who thinks the KHSAA is doing this kid wrong will flood their phone lines Monday!

Couldn't have said it any better this is absolutly ridiculous, it's almost embarassing that the kid was sent to KY to live, i'm sure the family was wanting to move on purpose it had nothing to do with his whole life being changed by a hurricane. This is sickening I feel so sorry for the kid my thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. Please get this kid playing A.S.A.P.

How is this the KHSAA's fault? Lets everyone call some evacuees and recruit them to our schools and then pay for their tuition. I feel for the kids in Louisiana, but he could attend any non-parochial school for free. Maybe he should go to Holmes. That would be free.

There should have been a window of opportunity to be ruled eligible if you are an evacuee. That window needs to be closed. The tragedy happened a few weeks ago. If they were going to evacuate and be ruled eligible for football they should have arrived at the school a couple weeks ago. Letting kids become eligible at any time during the season leaves room for some real shady recruiting opportunities. I don't feel this is the case in this situation, but a public education is free.

How is this the KHSAA's fault? Lets everyone call some evacuees and recruit them to our schools and then pay for their tuition. I feel for the kids in Louisiana, but he could attend any non-parochial school for free. Maybe he should go to Holmes. That would be free.

There should have been a window of opportunity to be ruled eligible if you are an evacuee. That window needs to be closed. The tragedy happened a few weeks ago. If they were going to evacuate and be ruled eligible for football they should have arrived at the school a couple weeks ago. Letting kids become eligible at any time during the season leaves room for some real shady recruiting opportunities. I don't feel this is the case in this situation, but a public education is free.

The KHSAA has no problem allowing Gulf area kids play for public schools right away, but for people who lost just about everything, or everything, they had ever owned now having to shell out 1,000s of dollars just so their kid can play football when others don't have to is ridiculous as well as embarrassing! At last knowledge the KHSAA has rules 24 Gulf coast area kids immediately eligible, all for public schools I am guessing.

I don't think anyone is driving down to the Gulf coast just to get athletes, why would they come to KY when the huge football state of Texas is right next door? This kid came to his grandmothers house with his family to live, his old high school had heavy damage. I could see someone trying to make a case if a kid went to a public school in the Gulf area and tried to go to a private school up here for free, but it's not that way. He went to a private school in N.O. so he should be able to attend one here, AT NO COST, as the family will need that money to help rebuild.

He is playing for Cov Holy Cross, not exactly your football powerhouse, he won't lead them to the district or state title, let the kid play!

The KHSAA has no problem allowing Gulf area kids play for public schools right away, but for people who lost just about everything, or everything, they had ever owned now having to shell out 1,000s of dollars just so their kid can play football when others don't have to is ridiculous as well as embarrassing! At last knowledge the KHSAA has rules 24 Gulf coast area kids immediately eligible, all for public schools I am guessing.

I don't think anyone is driving down to the Gulf coast just to get athletes, why would they come to KY when the huge football state of Texas is right next door? This kid came to his grandmothers house with his family to live, his old high school had heavy damage. I could see someone trying to make a case if a kid went to a public school in the Gulf area and tried to go to a private school up here for free, but it's not that way. He went to a private school in N.O. so he should be able to attend one here, AT NO COST, as the family will need that money to help rebuild.

He is playing for Cov Holy Cross, not exactly your football powerhouse, he won't lead them to the district or state title, let the kid play!

And yet another advantage the public schools have over the private schools, as if tax $'s, free education, better facilities, etc. weren't enough!!

If I'm not mistaken they (KHSAA) have been "ruling" on this for a couple of weeks, while those in the parish/school community have been trying to help raise tuition money. Hardly a case of HC lurking around the Bayous looking for players!!

Like I stated in my post. I do not think this is a situation of recruiting LA players.

I also think to say a kid should be able to go to a private school and not have to pay anything is crazy. Would the parish/school community try to raise the money for a non-athlete?

I don't know the answer to that, but IMO the answer would be no.

Again I feel for the kid and parochial schools are at a disadvantage in receiving evacuees.

The answer is go to a public school for free.

Would the parish/school community try to raise the money for a non-athlete?

They don't need to raise any money for non athletes, but if they were forced to so other Gulf coast area kids can attend their school they would. They are doing it out of kindness, just as HC students raised $10,000.00 which just happened to be on the day this kid, and his sister arrived at HC, just as millions of people throughout the country are doing by sending in donations, almost a billion dollars so far.

I am sure besides this kids sister there are more kids who from the Gulf who are attending private schools far free, you just don't hear about them as A LOT of schools are taking in these kids.

BTW, even president Bush said that money will be available to help pay the states back who took in students from the Gulf, including private schools.