LA Evacuee is Ruled Ineligible to Play for Holy Cross

fabfour

My stance on this issue is simply, that I can completely understand how and why the KHSAA ruled the way they did. Do I agree with it, not necessarily, but like cshs81 mentioned...it could open an entire new set of special circumstances.

I am not for a public/private split at all, but some of the arguments in my opinion hold water, but that is for another topic.

I would love to hear them, because I'd be more than happy to debate that Holmes has alot more advantage than HC and has bended some rules to win games.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at Bylaw 10 section C.

http://www.khsaa.org/handbook/bylaws/bylaw10.pdf

That appears to be the part they did not waive. HC , I'm guessing, does not usually have fundraisers for students, correct? HC did nothing but 100% the right thing for this family YET it still does not pass the KHSAA requirements. HC should be commended for showing what the spirit of Catholic schools is.

Then ALL families/students displaced by the hurricane would be ineligible (be they in a private or public school) unless they have purchased housing in KY with their own money. (And a car, clothing, etc.) And they must not have accepted any help that has a monetary value. Since many of these people lost everything how hard is it to examine the facts of the case and rule?

Has every other case of a displaced family/students coming to KY been investigated and cleared or did some students become immediately eligible?

I have no problem with the KHSAA coming out and saying:

A. No one displaced is eligible to play sports.

or

B. Displaced students are ineligible until we look into each case.

But not everyone is eligible but some are more eligible than others.

:thumb:

Then ALL families/students displaced by the hurricane would be ineligible (be they in a private or public school) unless they have purchased housing in KY with their own money. (And a car, clothing, etc.) And they must not have accepted any help that has a monetary value. Since many of these people lost everything how hard is it to examine the facts of the case and rule?

Has every other case of a displaced family/students coming to KY been investigated and cleared or did some students become immediately eligible?

I have no problem with the KHSAA coming out and saying:

A. No one displaced is eligible to play sports.

or

B. Displaced students are ineligible until we look into each case.

But not everyone is eligible but some are more eligible than others.

:thumb: LABS and CSHS,

Whats the differnce in students raising funds to allow the kid to go to school and public schools students raising money for food, clothing, and other material. Also whats the difference of them attending a public school without paying taxes to do such. Again you can't waive bylaws that only help one set of schools be able to reach these students. The KHSAA has created a huge unfair advantage for public schools.

There were written rules they lifted to allow the kids to play at public schools it is unfair to lift some rules to benifit public schools, but so o and by the way were not lifting this rule that will allow you to attend a public school.

By this ruling they are basically declaring you can come to KY and play sports as long as you play for a public schools. Which is unfair and wrong anyway you spell it.

BS, I think you are jumping over step 1 and arguing about step 2.

The KHSAA has followed the decision of the KDE to allow displaced students to enroll in public schools all throughout the entire state. How a public school enrolls a kid is different from how a private school enrolls a kid. As it has been hashed out in other threads, there are certain boundries that kids must adhere to in regards to attending what schools in a public school district. If a "displaced" student moves into Edgewood, then Dixie or Turkeyfoot MS can enroll the student without having to have proof of residency, and other pertinent informationa ala immunization and so forth. He goes to the school and is simply enrolled. Once that has been established then that student is eligible to play sports.

On the other hand that student could choose to go to say, Holy Cross. How HC enrolls students is foreign to me. However, I would think that some form of tuition payment is needed for that student to enroll or some type of payment plan. Evidently, the choice was a fundraiser or something of that nature which goes against the what the KHSAA allows.

So simply, the KHSAA has waived a residency rule, but not so much the part in regards to tuition payment and such.

In the end, I can see your argument about letting him play, but where does it end? Tornado displacement? Fire destruction displacement?

BS, I think you are jumping over step 1 and arguing about step 2.

The KHSAA has followed the decision of the KDE to allow displaced students to enroll in public schools all throughout the entire state. How a public school enrolls a kid is different from how a private school enrolls a kid. As it has been hashed out in other threads, there are certain boundries that kids must adhere to in regards to attending what schools in a public school district. If a "displaced" student moves into Edgewood, then Dixie or Turkeyfoot MS can enroll the student without having to have proof of residency, and other pertinent informationa ala immunization and so forth. He goes to the school and is simply enrolled. Once that has been established then that student is eligible to play sports.

On the other hand that student could choose to go to say, Holy Cross. How HC enrolls students is foreign to me. However, I would think that some form of tuition payment is needed for that student to enroll or some type of payment plan. Evidently, the choice was a fundraiser or something of that nature which goes against the what the KHSAA allows.

So simply, the KHSAA has waived a residency rule, but not so much the part in regards to tuition payment and such.

In the end, I can see your argument about letting him play, but where does it end? Tornado displacement? Fire destruction displacement?

The fact of the matter is you can't make it legal for them to play at one set of schools and not another. Its an all or nothing type of deal. What about the required property taxes required to attend public schools. So basically the KHSAA waived a kid must pay for public education but they can't do same for private.

BS, PM me and we can discuss you pseudo accusation.

So if Johnny moves from Colorado to Taylor Mill on Saturday, and his mom takes him to Scott on Monday to enroll him, Scott simply says they cannot enroll him because they haven't paid any taxes yet, therefore he must wait until the contribute there portion of taxes to be enrolled.

Scott has to enroll him.

What about the required property taxes required to attend public schools. So basically the KHSAA waived a kid must pay for public education but they can't do same for private.

BS - wrong. I don't pay property taxes if I live in an apartment, correct? So I can't enroll my child if I live in an apartment? What if I live with grandma and she pays the property taxes? Can my child not enroll since I didn't actually pay the taxes? Do you see the error in your thinking?

Incorrect. Only if your private school tuition is being paid by others are you ineligible athletically. Public school kids can receive "handouts" and still retain their athletic eligibility.

My friend, WC, You seem to be trying to say that the kid changed residency and THAT ALONE meets the KHSAA requirement. All I've tried to do is point out the error in your thinking. The residency requirement is but one component of the decision. The KHSAA has WRITTEN rules (ie I'm not making them up) that also say that non-guardians CANNOT pay the tuition of a student at a private school.

I am not debating the merits of the KHSAA decision. Again, I am simply trying to point out that your seemingly hard-line position that since the kid moved he IS eligible is incorrect.

So, do you not believe me or are you simply not happy with the KHSAA's decision? Or both?

What was pointed out is that the Commissioner can rule regardless of evidence and based on her "gut" reaction; this is ridiculous, and that is the only thing that determines eligibility.

What I was pointing out is how a transfer's eligibility is supposed to be determined according to their written bylaws.

RM, he's not being denied a Catholic education, correct?

He's being told that if it is absolutely necessary for you to hang out with those stinking Catholics, okay, just don't expect to continue in sports. There are already too many of THEM out there. This kid has lost his home, his school, most likely his parents means of support. All he was asking was to continue his education in an environment that was as close to home as possible. Shame on the KHSAA and shame on those that would add one more burden to this family.