Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

LA Evacuee is Ruled Ineligible to Play for Holy Cross

Featured Replies

859-299-5472

 

 

[email protected]

 

There is the contact information. I was told to leave a voicemail as well as an email for the commissioner. If you are against this ruling then call, or stop complaining as that won't work!

  • Replies 114
  • Views 13.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would agree that the KHSAA in its boundless wisdom made another botched ruling. I would say that if an error is going to be made err on the side of the kid.

 

Let him play.

  • Author

I failed to mention that Kit also told me the young man must attend Scott High School...not Holmes. I have no insight, relative to that decision.

Why should the family have to do this when they desire a Catholic education?

So where does it end?

If a family that cannot afford a catholic education but desires it, should they be allowed tuition relief so their child can attend a parochial school?

I'm on the fence here. My question is, why can't the kid go to Holmes if he really wants to play football? If it's not about football, than don't play and get your Catholic education. What the KHSAA is doing is the same thing everyone usually complains about them not doing. They're making it a level playing field. On the other hand, does it matter to the KHSAA if a kid goes to private school for free? I agree with them by not letting someone in the Holy Cross community pay for his tuition but if the Diocese waved his tuition because of his circumstances is it really the KHSAA's business?

 

Bottom line though, he's got a free high school that he can play football at (if he so desires) less than five minutes away.

So what becomes the determing factor when the diocese chooses to waive a tuition fee?

I know this is not normal circumstances, but I can see someone coming up with a sappy story in an effort to get tuition relief and that kid happens to be a stud player.

I think they are trying to keep Pandora's Box shut with this ruling.

Do I agree with it...somewhat...but I can see why they made their ruling.

I have to say that I'm disappointed that this is the way people think. The boy was in Catholic school in Louisiana, and it's obvious that it's important to his family to continue a Catholic education despite the circumstances.

 

It's heartbreaking enough for these families, without having to deal with the bias of the Kentucky school systems. There's obviously only compassion up to the point that a family chooses a public school for their child. There MUST be some ulterior motive involved if the family would choose a Catholic education for their football playing son. :rolleyes: I could almost understand the uproar if the kid had been enrolled at Trinity or X, but Holy Cross?!

 

Maybe it is time for a Public/Private split....It's obvious that the missions of the two educational choices are widely disparate.

 

How is it biased?

It is fairly cut and dry, to what you can and cannot do.

I can reason with the plight of this family, but there is always those who would take advantage of a situation.

You can argue the grounds of the two educational missions.

Simply one that is regulated and one that is not.

I strongly disagree! It's not about football, or any other sport, it's about the bias the KHSAA is now showing against private school STUDENTS!

 

The KHSAA did the right thing in the beginning allowing Gulf Coast are kids to play immediately in KY, now they go against the SPIRIT of the offer, which is to help out, and to give these kids something they enjoy doing in their time of this disaster.

 

If president Bush is willing to help pay back states and school, INCLUDING private schools I think the KHSAA should allow the ones who choose to attend private school the right to play there.

 

As I said before, the kid went to a private school in N.O. he should be able to here as well.

 

As RockMom stated, this shows that the KHSAA only will so compassion to those who want to attend public schools.

 

Are private schools apart of the Kentucky Department of Education? Hopefully, someone can answer that for me. They are not bound to the same standards and statewide testing. Is the KHSAA? Yes. So in the spirit of the matter, I would assume the KHSAA is piggybacking off of the KDE order of allowing displaced students into schools. Now whether or not this order applies to private schools is another matter in which we are seeing that it is not likely the same.

So where does it end?

If a family that cannot afford a catholic education but desires it, should they be allowed tuition relief so their child can attend a parochial school?

 

Why can't the kid do work-study? Of course, it may be too late now.

 

BTW, LABS, the Catholic schools handle that situation now with the work-study program.

Work-study's can open a can of worms too.

THat is self monitoring by the school...correct.

I don't know the facts of the case to judge who is right and who is wrong, but my question would be:

 

Which is the KHSAA more concerned about, doing what is right for this kid or preserving athletic equity? To me this is a step back and look at the big picture argument.

I don't know the facts of the case to judge who is right and who is wrong, but my question would be:

 

Which is the KHSAA more concerned about, doing what is right for this kid or preserving athletic equity? To me this is a step back and look at the big picture argument.

 

Devil's advocate:

 

If a kid is displaced by a tornado, does that qualify for a waiver?

 

What about grandma dying and she was paying the bills?

 

The question of 'how far do we take it' is fair.

 

HC did the right thing for the kid. However, they did not (nor should they have) think about the KHSAA ruling.

Devil's advocate:

 

If a kid is displaced by a tornado, does that qualify for a waiver?

 

What about grandma dying and she was paying the bills?

 

The question of 'how far do we take it' is fair.

 

HC did the right thing for the kid. However, they did not (nor should they have) think about the KHSAA ruling.

 

If a kid has to move, he has to move; it is not for athletic reasons; by KHSAA vocabulary and language, he is eligible!!!!!!

If a kid has to move, he has to move; it is not for athletic reasons; by KHSAA vocabulary and language, he is eligible!!!!!!

 

WC - the KHSAA has more than one determining factor for eligibility.

WC - the KHSAA has more than one determining factor for eligibility.

 

 

If there is a bona fide change of address for reasons outside of athletics, he is eligible.

If there is a bona fide change of address for reasons outside of athletics, he is eligible.

 

Come on, WC. That's not the only test. The KHSAA rules say that no one outside of the player's family can pay his tuition.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.