"Open Enrollment" -- is it fair?

GoBigRed

And I think you are right. I am sure that the people that created the open enrollment idea's original intention was to benefit academics. But there should be regulations on the athletic side of it, the rest of the state's districts are regulated in some fashion, why shouldn't athletics be regulated in Louisville?

I don't see the difference in an advantage and being fair, rockmom. It is an advantage and it isn't fair.

Athletics are regulated in Louisville. If a kid enrolls in school A in 9th grade, he/she cannot transfer to school B in 10th grade, without the same consequences as any other student in the state.

As to the differences between an advantage and fairness, it's simple:

Advantage-

Main Entry: 1ad·van·tage

Pronunciation: &d-'van-tij

Function: noun

Etymology: Middle English avantage, from Middle French, from avant before, from Late Latin abante

1 : superiority of position or condition

2 : a factor or circumstance of benefit to its possessor

3 a : BENEFIT, GAIN; especially : benefit resulting from some course of action

Fair-

Main Entry: 1fair

Pronunciation: 'far, 'fer

Function: adjective

Etymology: Middle English fager, fair, from Old English fæger; akin to Old High German fagar beautiful

1 : pleasing to the eye or mind especially because of fresh, charming, or flawless quality

2 : superficially pleasing : SPECIOUS

3 a : CLEAN, PURE b : CLEAR, LEGIBLE

4 : not stormy or foul : FINE

5 : AMPLE

6 a : marked by impartiality and honesty : free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism b (1) : conforming with the established rules : ALLOWED (2) : consonant with merit or importance : DUE c : open to legitimate pursuit, attack, or ridicule

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lastly, the KHSAA rules on transferring still apply.

I think this is the key point. The decision must be made when entering the ninth grade or the student risk the penalty of sitting out a year.

Not a problem, you're a good football player, you know where you want to go. What if Danville HS was near Lexington, I know they are close but what if they were in the Metro area? They would be unstoppable, IMO.

Athletics are regulated in Louisville. If a kid enrolls in school A in 9th grade, he/she cannot transfer to school B in 10th grade, without the same consequences as any other student in the state.

As to the differences between an advantage and fairness, it's simple:

Advantage-

Fair-

Exactly, there is an advantage and it is only fair becuase the schools are conforming to rules they made up.

Again those of you that are against this policy are missing the point.

Academics should drive Athletics, and not the other way around.

If a rule that gives students better choices to enhance their education, also benefits athletics- so be it.

The teams that I support won't ever benefit from the Louisville rule, they might even lose games because of it. But I'd rather that happen, and kids be given a chance to put themselves in the best situation for success. It's selfish to want otherwise.

Again those of you that are against this policy are missing the point.

Academics should drive Athletics, and not the other way around.

If a rule that gives students better choices to enhance their education, also benefits athletics- so be it.

The teams that I support won't ever benefit from the Louisville rule, they might even lose games because of it. But I'd rather that happen, and kids be given a chance to put themselves in the best situation for success. It's selfish to want otherwise.

Should and do are a big difference.

Someone call the FTC quick!!! Jefferson County has a monopoly on all the possible “advantages” in KY high school football. How could anyone possibly compete? :p

Maybe we really should think about going back to the old Jefferson Co Title. Everyone seems to agree that the rest of the state offers almost no competition because of the innumerable and inexorable advantages. :rolleyes:

I think this is the key point. The decision must be made when entering the ninth grade or the student risk the penalty of sitting out a year.

Not a problem, you're a good football player, you know where you want to go. What if Danville HS was near Lexington? They would be unstoppable, IMO.

You're completely missing the whole point here. We (open enrollment school system residents) decide on the best course of action for our community. Open enrollment offers the widest number of options for the students of our community, and offers them a choice of schools, which enforces the Vision Statement of the JCPS

Vision

The Jefferson County Public School District will provide every student with both the opportunity and the support he/she needs to benefit from high-quality educational experience that is founded on a result-oriented teaching-learning process. Simply stated, our vision for the students of this community is: Get them in school! Keep them in school! Teach them to proficiency!

The fact that this creates an advantage for some schools, even within the JCPS, is undeniable. However, all advantages are not unfair.

When you compare a school system the size of Jefferson County to a rural county's system, it's like comparing a watermelon to a cantelope! They're both melons, but one's a whole lot bigger and they taste different.

It is not the responsibility of larger school districts to keep pace with what other school systems are doing for their students. It's the responsibility of EACH school system to do what's best for IT's students.

Exactly, there is an advantage and it is only fair becuase the schools are conforming to rules they made up.

:lol: Which rules? If you're talking about the open enrollment, yes, the JCPS adopted that and set the rules. If you're talking athletic rules, then, no, we didn't set the rules, by ourselves that is. The KHSAA, of which schools in the JCPS are members of, and have representatives within, sets the rules.

And, since when is having an advantage synonomous with unfair? :confused:

I live in Louisville, where I can drive 3 minutes to my nearest Kroger. The rest of my family lives in Leitchfield, where they must drive 30+ miles to get to the nearest Kroger. That's an advantage I have...what's unfair about it?

Not a problem, you're a good football player, you know where you want to go. What if Danville HS was near Lexington, I know they are close but what if they were in the Metro area? They would be unstoppable, IMO.

I imagine there are plenty of stories where a middle school athlete left one school to go to another because they thought they would have an impact, but they didn't pan out. Maybe because they didn't mature physically or emotionally the way their parents thought they would and are now missing out on old friendships. That is the risk of open enrolement. I personally don't have a problem with it.

I do believe once a kid is in high-school the KHSSA should be able to regulate when a kid can play but not when a kid should be able to transfer.

:lol: Which rules? If you're talking about the open enrollment, yes, the JCPS adopted that and set the rules. If you're talking athletic rules, then, no, we didn't set the rules, by ourselves that is. The KHSAA, of which schools in the JCPS are members of, and have representatives within, sets the rules.

And, since when is having an advantage synonomous with unfair? :confused:

I live in Louisville, where I can drive 3 minutes to my nearest Kroger. The rest of my family lives in Leitchfield, where they must drive 30+ miles to get to the nearest Kroger. That's an advantage I have...what's unfair about it?

How do you expect a county of 40,000 peolple to be able to compete with a county of 500,000 people? The best schools get the best athletes, you said it was an advantage, so it looks like pretty much everyone on here is admitting that it is. Take a school like Mayfield HS, if you allow them to have open enrollment, it doesn't help them at all, no population to draw from. This is a rule that the JCPS created that isn't fair athletically, maybe it creates opportunities academically, which is great, give the students the ability to succeed, I wish I would have had that kind of opportunity. All that I am saying is that athletically it should be regulated somehow.

From a person without a whole lot of interest in HS football and little knowledge of Jeff Co football, are most if not all the JC schools 4A? WHat schools are not 4A?

Don't know the complete list, but there are quite a few non 4A football schools in Louisville.

Central

Waggener

Holy Cross

Christian Academy

DeSales

Fairdale

Shawnee

Valley

How do you expect a county of 40,000 peolple to be able to compete with a county of 500,000 people? The best schools get the best athletes, you said it was an advantage, so it looks like pretty much everyone on here is admitting that it is. Take a school like Mayfield HS, if you allow them to have open enrollment, it doesn't help them at all, no population to draw from. This is a rule that the JCPS created that isn't fair athletically, maybe it creates opportunities academically, which is great, give the students the ability to succeed, I wish I would have had that kind of opportunity. All that I am saying is that athletically it should be regulated somehow.

^ When did the KHSAA do away with the 4 classifications (A through 4A)?

If you want that kind of advantage, move to Louisville. It's really simple. We all make our choices. If that's what's important to you, then you should do what it takes to put yourself in the position to benefit from the advantages. If you think the move to open enrollment was for athletic purposes, you obviously have no knowledge of the state of education in Jefferson County prior to open enrollment. You want to know why private schools have such tradition here? Go back 20-30 years and look at the state of public education in Jefferson County at that time, and the bussing, etc.